Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 Dodge coupe needs a few things

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voodoowagon, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Well after working on my wifes 54 Plymouth i new i wanted to start looking for something to start on for my next money pit but would never of thought i would have came home with this.

Little scared to see what primer is covering up but like all 84 year old cars it will need a lot of work lol.

Let the swap meet search begin

[​IMG]

2. studeynut

studeynut

Dodges are great looking cars. Good beginnings, I have a 28 frame..... I'm using under my 27 Essex

3. hallrods

hallrods

Nice car what's your plan for it

4. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

AWESOME!! another 29 Dodge coupe! What are your plans? here is mine, let me tell you this much, it is NOT easy to find ANYTHING for these.....
    [​IMG]

5. The hardest parts to find are the doors and trunk/rumble seat lid. You got those? You have won half of the battle already!

6. supervert

supervert

looks solid, hows the inside and the rockers look? we might have to start a 28-29 dodge club on here, i think there is 4-5 of us now.........:D

at least its not a victory!!!!! they are even harder to find stuff for.
    the guys with the "A"s have it made with parts, its the price we pay to be different.

7. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

You are so correct! I looked for over a year and had no luck, I made my own decklid and rebuilt my way screwed up doors, not finished yet but very close

8. Be Patient I found alot of the pieces I needed for my 29 Dodge on ebay .It has taken about 3 years but I have most of the things I need now . Sometimes at swap meets people don't know what they have and you score the occasional piece cheap .

9. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

Very nice car...be patient there are a few more of these turning up and the parts are out there...I was lucky when i got my sedan all the Important stuff was there...Good luck!!

10. I have a radiator shell for a '29 Victory Six if you're interested- here's what one looks like:

Attached Files:

11. flamed34

flamed34

I have a NOS rear fender...but I doubt you're running fenders! I can't remember what side, but I'll be digging it out for the Charlotte Autofair in a couple weeks.

12. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

build what you cant find, you'll be good. that thing looks way solid!

13. Choff

Choff

Nice to see more 29 dodges, Does yours have golf club door and rubbble seat?
    Welcome and good luck on your build, Keep the pics coming.

Pictures of mine I have been working on for years, chopped 3", channeled
    2 3/4" and frame streched 6", working on skinning drivers door and get hinges on.
    Choff

Attached Files:

30 dodges likes this.
  14. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Thanks for all the great comments and advise, im torn on the direction i will go. definetly along your lines, i dont want it to be super low and i am torn if i want to chop it. It came with a model a frame that is pretty scary to look at. The bottom of the doors are pretty much toast and it has some other swiss cheese under the back window. The trunk lid was a curved piece of metal with kitchen cabinet hinges and the rear of the car under the trunk is gone.

This will definetly be another big challenge for me but i am up for it.

15. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

• Rockers are already cut off, the body is going to need a lot of metal fab, just plan on hitting the swap meets and ebay

16. sololobo

sololobo

Cool coupe, admire the off the grid approach. Loves me some MoPars!! ~sololobo~

17. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

[​IMG]

Here is the model a frame i was given, i am going to have to do a lot of reading cause i know nothing about i beams so any advise you guys have i would love to hear.

DONT WORRY GUYS THE ENGINE MOUNTS FOR CHEVY WONT STAY LOL

18. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Thank you, trunk is gone and no club door. Good looking car

19. Choff

Choff

Your last line say's it all, GOTTA LEARN SOMEHOW!!, take your time on body repairs, not many 29 dodges left.
    I made my own patch panels and door skins. Mine was rough also, it was missing the drivers door, I got a drivers door from a sedan that was too narrow and wrong swing. I am making it work!!!

20. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Chris is right, mine also had wasted doors, no decklid, no panel above or below deck lid, the belt line below rear window was swiss cheese....
    I had a pro quote me over 32k just for sheetmetal repairs, of course it would have been perfect. But after that quote, I bought an english wheel, a brake and bead roller and other misc body tools that I didnt have, read alot, learned alot from the HAMB and internet, and now Im very close, the car will have next to no filler on it and I get the satisfaction of having done it all myself! so get rolling, you can do it!!

21. Yup, Dodges are harder to find, and the DB club boys are a hard and stiff-necked people when it comes to hot rodders. Parts are out there, but like Choff said, you may have to work with what you have/modeify what you can find!

Best of luck in the build!

22. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Thank you for all the great words of encouragment and advise, we are hitting swap meet season here in Texas so i am going to keep my eyes peeled. I think my first goal will be to see how i decide to setup the front end and then see where it takes me.

23. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

good luck and happy hunting!

24. El Tortuga

El Tortuga

Why are the deck lids always missing on these cars? I got a 31 Desoto rumble seat coupe (its rough also) missing it too and it seems all the late 20's early 30's Mopar are missing them?

25. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

You would be surprised how many got used for sleds

26. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

I have also been told they pulled them off to use the back end more like a truck

27. bbrroowwnn

bbrroowwnn
    from Drums PA

good to see another one out there....here is a video of mine still in the process of finishing

[​IMG]

28. farmer12

farmer12

Great project! Subscribed.

29. somebody must have all those trunklid/rumble lids!...here's my 32 DeSoto coupe,also missin the trunklid; try findin parts for that!..at least I have the doors and they are nice and another set of quarters...
    [​IMG]

30. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Very cool...now I need to talk my step dad into working on his 28 Victory 6 sedan. I remember riding in it to junior high in the late 80's...lol rattle can paint job and weak ass 305 sbc and all!