Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1929-1931 Chevy Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mlagusis, May 19, 2017.

1. mlagusis

mlagusis

Anybody out there have a 1929-31 Chevy Hot Rod?

Anybody out there in the middle of 1929-31 Chevy build?

I am about to start on my 1931 Chevy Coach (2 door sedan) and am looking for inspiration.

2. Good luck on your build. I have a 33 Chevy Cabriolet. A little too new for what you're looking for :)

3. mlagusis

mlagusis

4. mlagusis

mlagusis

LOL. If your 33 in your Avatar, nice car!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  5. Yup that's the one. Thanks!

6. fordflambe

fordflambe

I put my 31 Coach on the road in 73' and still drive it when i get a chance......It's minimalist in that it has power nothing. 51 Chevy truck axle bent by Mor-Drop, 54 Chevy car backing plates, drums and hubs to get 5 bolt pattern (i did that because back in 73, there were limited choices for aftermarket 6 hole wheels). I originally built the car with stock width 56 Chevrolet rear and only had to move spring pads. Using 67 Camaro drum/drum dual master cyl on firewall bolted to 56 Chevy swing pedals (cant get much simpler for a firewall mount). In about 85, swapped the rear for a 72 Camaro 12 bolt, drum rear (same width). I built the car with fiberglass fenders because i was afraid i would not be able to replace steel fenders if i wrecked it........I now have a set of steel fenders that will go on as soon as i have time to get it done. Interior is basic too.......four 67-68 Camaro buckets.

I originally built mine with 31 Grille shell but they are brass and i couldn't get it straight enough to look good so over the years, i purchased and installed a 32 Chevy grille shell. Had to modify the valence below radiator slightly to fit the curve of the bottom of 32 shell...........Sometime in the 80's someone was producing a dropped headlight bar for the 31's so i purchased and installed one of those. Found sealed beam conversions for the stock headlights back in the 70's and installed them when first built........you may be able to get some from company called Headwinds as i see they are making conversions for more popular Ford lights..........

Those cars are made for inline six..........in fact, mine was a 6-cyl car.........however now has 327, 3x2's, th350.............I'm running a zips water pump riser (with 6-cyl Chevy water pump) to get mechanical fan more toward the top of the radiator.....it works/cools great......however with a 6-cyl engine you will not have to do that........

Good luck with your project! There are not many left and I would like to see more of these on the road...............
    31 Chevy in Houma, La.jpg 07FEB15_Ryans Steakhouse.JPG AUT_8825.JPG AUT_9302.JPG

TFoch and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. fordflambe

fordflambe

Dont know if it is still available but there was a Dropped Headlight bar posted on HAMB a little less than a year ago......may still be available? Looks identical to the one on my car..........Here is the title of the thread.............
    1931 CHEVROLET DROPPED HEADLIGHT BAR

8. mlagusis

mlagusis

Thanks for posting the parts list you used. I really like your car too! I plan to do the same as you in regards to keep it simple. I will have to take a look at the 56 truck brake/clutch pedal as an option. As of now I have not decided which pedals to use. My goal is to use all Chevy parts.

9. fordflambe

fordflambe

Thanks for the complement........my car is more representative of "Resto-Rods" built back in the 70's. If i had it to do over, i would go a little more traditional..........but it's not far from that now.

56 swing pedals are from a car............not sure how a truck set up would work but is probably very similar.

10. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i have a 29 delivery that i built 18 yr ago some say it is more of street rod . but it has over 80,000 miles and still takes me where i want to go

Attached Files:

fordflambe likes this.
  11. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

[​IMG]

My father-in-laws 30 coupe with flathead. Almost done (seems I've been saying that for quite awhile now ).

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TFoch and kidcampbell71 like this.