Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 / 1930 Chevy 3 window coupe project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WAYNE112, Feb 22, 2011.

1. WAYNE112

WAYNE112

Ok, so

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. F&J

F&J

Do not spend one cent or one minute on the chassis stuff. The wood needs to be replaced with steel first. If you do up the chassis with lots of time and money, and then decide to walk away and sell it with a body in pieces, you won't get your money back.

There are plenty of threads on replacing wood with steel on hamb.

Do some searches with "wood" "steel" or similar.

There are some early chevy coupes here, but 31 32 etc. Yours is a bit tougher because of how the rear roof is not welded to the rear deck and quarters like the later chevs

3. F&J

F&J

4. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Interesting, I have a '27 in the " someday" area in my garage.... Be interested to see what you decide to do with yours

5. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Got pics?

Heres a few of my '27. If you have the original motor & its a 4, the model T & possibly A guys use them, call em a "poor mans Rajo". Do a overhead valve conversion on the flatty fords..

Cheers!

Attached Files:

6. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I'm in the same boat as you x2... I also have a 29 chevy roadster in pieces... As said above, get the body in shape first before you worry about the chassis. save your old wood for use as patterns for the steel... There are a few pics of my cars in my album...

7. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Wayne112, I'm doing a '32 Chevy and don't have a clue, but I'm doing it! Check out my album, the guys on this site are GREAT, a real help.

8. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

From the frame up my old 33 chevy was just a hull and I started with a frame

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

10. fleetside66

fleetside66

F & J has a very good point. Do the body first for the reasons he stated. I did my truck cab first & it worked out well. Also, you won't be tripping over all of the other junk. In addition, while you're doing your inner framework, you'll get a clearer idea in your head (day by day) of the details of the rest of the build. Take it step by step...you'll have fun.

11. Wayne,

A Toyota 4Runner or Nissan 2200 rear is the same width and the bolt pattern is the same as stock.

12. DrJ

DrJ

I;m currently carving/making a skin on frame Baidarka-kayak so I have to say go for replacing the wood, ONLY IF you aren't going to chop it or change any body configurations. I'm sure some one sells either wood kits or patterns if you want to go that way an dyou will need some plans for a steel replacement anyway.
    As suggested above, don't spend a bunch of money on a chassis if you haven't sorted out what to do with the body first

13. aojo

aojo

My 30 coupe came with a 8" Ford and it fits the car well with the fenders on.. it measures about 59" from brake drum to brake drum.. I am in the process of replacing the 8" with a 58 Olds posi which is about the same length.

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

very cool. I knew you could do it.

15. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Looking good, amazing you got that from the first pics you posted of all parts n pieces. I bet your stoked to see a car sitting infront of you now instead of flat panels!!! Im a huge ol' Chevy fan (sold my perfect unrestored 32 5w):( so ill be watchin!

16. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Nice! Hard to believe it's the same car.

17. Keep

Keep

Very nice, one of these days I will be doing the same :)

18. WAYNE112

WAYNE112

hello

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Do a search, there was a post of a HAMBer finding and buying a stash of '29 Chevy parts a couple weeks ago. The part above the windshield is where the glass rolls up (no cowl) into a cavity letting air flow hit back of dash and down to feet area. I will have great pic's of what you need tomorrow. I even have some hard to find roll up parts and gears...................

Never mind, I see you have a cowl vent, must be a '30?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  20. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest stopping by the Vintage Chevrolet Club site: http://www.vcca.org/
    There are plenty of guys there with parts for sale. Get yourself a 1926-1931 Fisher Body Service Manual (search online) as it has some great pics of how the body goes together. It's great to see another early Chevy!

21. Think of it as a "big" puzzle! Looks like you're moving right along. I got my 33 Chevy all in pieces and it's slowly coming together. I'm replacing all the wood with metal. I used what was left of the wood for patterns. Keep up the good work.

22. movingviolation

movingviolation

omg! i've been there with the same car......and they are beautiful when done. Mine has full metal frame no wood. I have a shit load of pics some where... they'd have to be scanned but...... i have start to finish pics.

Leon

23. movingviolation

movingviolation

I used a 8 3/4 mopar out of a challenger, fit like a glove!

24. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

I gotta disagree, respectly. If you get a rolling chassis together and decide to bail you could get some money back for the work you did selling the rolling chassis, also with a rolling chassis you could temporarily or permanently get a fiberglass or steel body from the websites and slap it on the rolling chassis and maybe even sell the old car parts for cash to buy fiberglass. Of corse I see he is past that point but maybe someone else could concider it. I just got a 30 chevy chassis that I'm going to start building an hope I come across a body one day. But great work.

25. If you're staying with the 6 lug pattern, the Toyota 4Runner is just about the same width, the correct pattern, a good strong rear, and mighty plentiful!

26. budd

budd

your doing a great job, doing the hard part first is the best way to go, when you get the body finished the rest will be all down hill.

27. reece

reece
    from NC

Those subrails are looking very nice. Good work.

28. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK what happened did this project get put on the back burner ?

29. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

] I just finished my 30 chev 3 window , replaced just the rails with metal ones and put a dropped front beam ,and lowering blocks in the rear ,other than that it's all stock, rechromed all the chrome and redid the interior as well, image.jpg image.jpg