Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 Schumacher Special (early hot rod)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alsancle, Dec 5, 2005.

1. alsancle

alsancle

We continue to inch along. Here is the almost finished hand fuel pump assembly Gus put these on all his cars. I included a blow up of #9 with the exact same pump on it. Our was plumbed to a the fuel tank and to a gauge on the dash which registered pressure. On a race car my understanding was that the pump was used to keep the engine from stalling on turns when gas may slide to once side of the bowl? Not sure what the purpose was here but we are putting it back the way it was.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! Remember to index all those screws. Bob

3. alsancle

alsancle

Floorboards going in.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380658045.485059.jpg

4. alsancle

alsancle

Continuing work on the floorboards. Since there is no trunk or glovebox there is a toolbox compartment that hangs under the drivers floorboard. It is big enough to carry the wheel wrench, a small jack and some other tools.

Attached Files:

5. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

6. alsancle

alsancle

Dash is still not finished but we are fitting it. There were 4 knobs across the middle originally. Still figuring out what each was for. Also we need to mount the dash lights, 3 across the top. We figured out the ignition switches and coils. The one dash picture seemed to show 2 switches. It was explained to me that there would be one switch on each coil (there are 2 sets of plugs) so that you could tune each separately.

[​IMG]

jakespeed63 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looking goodf! Always nice the see a progress report. Bob

8. alsancle

alsancle

So we are continuing to move along on the dash but have run into a minor issue. Three were three of these dash lights mounted along the top of the dash. Lebaron Bonney had these which were a 95% match. Naturally like an idiot I only bought 2 and it looks like they no longer carry them. Restoring one of the originals will end up costing me a ton of money. Anyone know of another supplier?

[​IMG]

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^ Lang's Old Car Parts www.modeltford.com, in Baldwinville, Ma. ask for Don or Steve, part number is A-DL catalog price is $34.94, page 178 of the 2014 catalog. Do I still get to ride shotgun at Lime Rock? Bob

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying to find something to say about this, all I can come up with is 'WOW'.
    And even that falls far short of describing how good this is looking! Not often I am left speechless!!

Doc.

11. alsancle

alsancle

Thanks!!!!!!!

I haven't forgotten Bob. I should have posted this question a month ago as you guys solved it in 2 hours. I also got some PMs with help too.

I just ordered one from Lang's:

<table><tbody><tr><td>Item Number:</td><td>A-DL</td></tr><tr><td>Per Car:</td><td>1</td></tr><tr><td>Year:</td><td>1919-1927</td></tr></tbody><tbody itemprop="offers" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer"><tr><td>Condition:</td><td>New</td></tr><tr><td>Price:</td><td>$34.95 each</td></tr></tbody></table>
    We were trying to get the dash in this week. I'll see if I can get some decent pictures. Maybe if Ed is over at John's he can uncover the engine and take a few motivational pictures for me.

12. alsancle

alsancle

OK, dash is in permanently. Here are some pictures. Note the loom on the back between the dash and the firewall. This was a very intricate setup where all the wires and cables passed through those two wooden supports. The whole thing was then wrapped in a leather pouch that seemed to be weather tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Everything looks great! Was this car ever entered in shows when it was first built, or just a showcase of what the builder could do with future projects? Just an outstanding piece of automotive artwork. Bob

14. alsancle

alsancle

Best I know Bob it was used to showcase until he was able to sell it. Gus jr says that to generate business he would tow one of the race cars around town behind the special. If you go a few pages back there are newspaper advertisements advertising "Special Alumium Bodies" built to order. There are also a couple of different pictures of it a couple of race tracks where he would park it off the pits where it would attract crowds.

15. alsancle

alsancle

The bottom of the dash is trimmed in brass. We were able to find this trim which works great. The edge has been polished and it now gets screwed along the bottom edge, creating a finished look.

[​IMG]

16. alsancle

alsancle

Also up is the the wiring to the dash. We have been very faithful to the original construction of the car. However there are a couple of places where we have taken some hidden liberties. One is the ignition system. Originally 6 volt, we have converted to 12 volt with electronic ignition. Here are the 2 napa coils that bolt in the compartment just in front of the battery and behind the firewall. Stutz has twin plugs so we have 2 coils and 2 ignition switches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome Job on a great car.Where did you find that brass edging,if I may?

18. alsancle

alsancle

19. eppster

eppster

All I can say is "WOW" !!!

20. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

22. alsancle

alsancle

I think what Brian does is that whenever he has to fabricate something for a restoration he makes 10 or 20 extras which then end up in the inventory to be sold.

For example, I'm not sure how much of a market there is for Tucker dash panels.

Attached Files:

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

Excellent job, well done.

24. alsancle

alsancle

So the brass edging is on now. There are small brass tags under each knob describing what each does. They are not mounted yet because we didn't have small enough brass screws. The coils are mounted and we are running the wires to the switches. One coil for each bank of plugs and each with their own switch. Only thing left for the dash are the lights.

We are going to concentrate on finish the chassis so it can go out the the engine builder John Cislak at the end of spring. Ed, remind him it is coming. Gas tank, water tank, finish the breaks, etc.

Attached Files:

25. alsancle

alsancle

Nice day so we pushed it outside.

Attached Files:

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

That really looks great! Will it be finished for Lime Rock on Labor Day? Bob

27. alsancle

alsancle

At least a year away I think Bob.

28. alsancle

alsancle

So the car was missing all 5 of these. They are made of unobtainium. Actually, you see one pass through eBay every couple of years. The original was given to me at Christmas and we had the machine shop fab up 5 plus 1 spare. They are being sent out for porcelain next week.

StutzEmblems.jpg

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hub cap centers? You know someone on the HAMB will chime in and tell you he has a box of NOS ones. Bob:rolleyes:

30. Actually, the ones I have, have the 32V emblem on them... :D