Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 Schumacher Special (early hot rod)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alsancle, Dec 5, 2005.

1. alsancle

alsancle

Hi All,

I thought you would find this real early "hot rod" interesting. We pulled it out of a barn where it had sat since untouched since 1951. Its called a Schumacher (there is a nice brass badge on the raditor indicating it) and was seen in and around Boston Mass in the 1930s. Everything about it says "race car" with the a couple of big exceptions. First, the wheelbase is 145 inches. Second, the car has a huge amount of parts originally chromed including drag link, shocks, suspension pieces, etc. I have a website set up at http://www.townisp.com/~alsancle that has additional pictures and talks about the history as we know it.

Any thoughts or additional information would be greatly appreciated. For instance, does anyone know anything about the Cusick-Schumacher special that ran in the 37 Vanderbilt cup? Was there a speed shop or custom shop around Boston or New York in the late 20s or early 30s that was known to build specials like this?

regards, A.J.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    Stogy and biggeorge like this.
  2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great find and good luck, that would be neat to see tearing down the road...or running up into your rear view mirror.

3. Nice old car post! Thanks

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

very very cool...

Stogy likes this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great project, I've wondered if there was a lot of race car activity in the Boston area pre 1935. New York and Philadelphia had their share of Miller race cars in the 1920's and a fair amount of "Speed Shops", someone must have some history on the Boston scene at that time.

6. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

That thing is kool with a kapital "K"!!! Good luck in your quest for info and your efforts to bring her back to life. Well done!

7. ResedaCoupe

ResedaCoupe
    from Benson, VT

Cool find, I don't envy you finding information. Anyone associated with the building of this car has most likely passed.
    Have you tried the aviation community? Alum. and rivets in 1928 might suggest a non-automotive builder.
    I would agree that if it was a race car you would have some damage, it seems amazingly intact.
    In 1990 I visited a machine in Hartford, that was working on an engine from a 'Stutz chassis race car' pulled from a New Hampshire barn. I think it was a 6 cyl. The owner of the Stutz was a private guy about his collection, but a regular guy. I can give you his info and it may help.

Good luck

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow...that's cool.

9. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

You might try asking the guys at the "The Panel Shop" in Stafford, CT. They do a ton of one-of and strange vintage race restorations. Check out their website:
    http://www.automotiverestorations.com/index.html

I stopped by the shop many times when I lived in CT. A great bunch of guys.

10. alsancle

alsancle

One of the stories passed down was that it was built for some sort of stock car straight line speed attempt. In 1928 the Stutz 8 was the fastest stock car (just prior to the introduction of the model J Duesenberg) so they picked a good chassis to start with. The funny looking bands that go under the front springs were allegedly for stabilizing the car in the event of a blow-out at high speed. There was no top, heater, or windshield wipers. The horn, taillight and headlamps seem to have been added at a later date. I defintely couldn't see going around a track in it - the hood seems like it is 10 feet long. Although the style is wouldn't be mistaken for[size=-1] Figoni et Falaschi the quality of contruction is top end.[/size]

The rear wheels turn 2.7 times for each revolution of the drive shaft. Does that mean 2.7 to one? Would that indicate high top end?

A.J.

zz29 likes this.
  11. rustyparts

rustyparts
    from Clinton,Mt

I love the front end,looks fast as hell!

black_dog41 likes this.
  12. alsancle

alsancle

I was able to track down the complete history of this car. It was constructed as a road-going super car in 1930 by Schumacher Motor Services of Yonkers NY. I've update the website at http://townisp.com/~alsancle with all the details.

A.J.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

A.J. Thank you for the update and the addition of that great original photo of the "Tow Car", good luck with the restoration! Bob:)

14. alsancle

alsancle

Hey Bob, thanks again for that Cusick-Schumacher Vanderbilt Cup tip. I was able to put that together with the NY builder info I mention on the site and eventually track down Gustav Jr.

A.J.

15. Brad S.

Brad S.

Awesome.

I was just telling a buddy about this find a few days ago and couldn't remember the name of the damn car to search for.

16. alsancle

alsancle

Barn shots are always cool to see and I figured people would like to see these. First is a view of the barn from the road.

Attached Files:

stanlow69 likes this.
  17. alsancle

alsancle

This shot shows the barn door pried open for the first time in about 20 years. It was on a runner that was completely rotted and the dirt had come up over the bottom of the door so it was quite a project just to get it open a couple of feet.

Attached Files:

18. alsancle

alsancle

This one shows the door finally open all the way.

Attached Files:

stanlow69 likes this.
  19. alsancle

alsancle

Finally on the ramp truck after a couple of hours of pulling 50 years worth of debris out from around the car.

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think Jay Leno wants it!!

21. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Wow ... That has to be a hell of a rush ... Like Christmas use to be ....
    Cool ... Cool.. Cool

22. alsancle

alsancle

This is what it will looked like after a wash and wax.

Attached Files:

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the update on the project! That is going to draw all sorts of crowds when you get it redone.

24. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Very cool, 145" wheelbase thats huge

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

It pays to go to the website A.J. has set up on this car, I just came back from reading it, and I'm sort of kicking myself over what I read. There is a link to some great info on the Vanderbilt Cup races in the late 1930's. If you read the list of entries, there is a lot of exotic stuff entered, but only two AMBLER equiped cars. NO OTHER overhead valve brands, just two AMBLER equiped cars. Two weeks ago I sold an AMBLER head to a LSR guy in South Carolina!!!!!!!!! At Hershey I meet Dan Price, he has one too and thinks there may be on in Bill Smiths collection, rare head........Wonder if the one I had was on a Vanderbilt Cup race car? On a hpppy note The Indy driver and West Coast Midget Champion I share a name with Bob Swanson had a Bugatti entered in the 1937 event but never showed, I spent 14 years restoring Bugattis and never knew this bit of info. Since this is such a small world I have to ask, in that pile of Schumacher built cars is there a photo of any Henderson 4 powered midgets?:rolleyes:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This was a very cool read! Love stories like thsi! Good luck with the resto. Looks like it's gonna be really fun!

27. Splinter

Splinter

I think I got a semi looking at those old pictures....what a cool old car.

28. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

how do i nominate this for a Jalopy Journal feature? :confused:

29. alsancle

alsancle

Here are some progress pictures. They are actually from last year as this year has been mostly dedicated to the engine. I stumbled on them today. The body frame is all steel which had rubber glued to it and then the aluminum body panels screwed on with brass machine screws. In the pictures below, an original Stutz straight 8 has been fit, new motor mounts fabricated. The lower firewall reconstructed (original cut up to fit the packard engine) and new footwell made. The fender mounts needed to be re-fabricated as they had taken a beating over the years. The shift mechanism is pretty interesting and I thought some of you guys would appreciate it.

The guys doing the engine actually vintage race Stutz cars and really know how to build these engines. Ultimately the breathing is becomes the limiting factor (corrected in the later dual cam DV-32 engines). Most of the modifications we are making are similar to what Gustav did back in 1930. Compression is being raised to about 8.5 to 1 and the cam is tweaked. I have pictures of the 4-carb setup and we will be duplicating that. It will be tuned on a dyno and they are expecting around 180hp (stock engine was 110).

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.