Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheemo, Jun 13, 2010.

1. cheemo

cheemo

A friend of mine was offering me some cars from his farm before he sent them to be crushed. I managed to find homes for them all (I can't do every project) but i kept this one. I know it is not pretty and not all there but I can't recall ever seeing one done up before. I have more parts than the picture shows. typical of this type of cars the rotted wood left nothing for the metal parts to holdonto and so they fell off. I had some of the parts in my truck bed while the pics were taken.

I have been doing some research and this is what i came up with (correct me if I'm wrong). This is a 1928 Oldsmobile. You can tell by the wooden wheels (I think they changed to wire in 29) and more importantly by the oval logo on the radiator. This is exclusive to 1928 models. I believe this particular vehicle was converted to a truck by some handy wood worker. I am pretty sure that Oldsmobile did not have a truck in 1928. I do know however that many people and businesses of the time were offering truck kits and packages to transform your vehicle into a truck. Having a wooden box though it could have been built from the owners own design quite easily. The rear fenders are steel though nor seen. I have no clue what the car would have started out as though. Regardless I plan on building a unique rod out of it while keeping the wooden box as well as other wooden parts. The wooden wheels will go, besides only one survived rotting. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. noboD

noboD

My neighbor has a '29 Olds. If Olds is like other cars some had wood wheels, usually standards, and some had wires, usually deluxes. You are right several kits were avaible to covert a coupe to truck use. You've got enough to start with there, good luck. Should make a very unique hotrod.

3. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I believe the truck the Beverly Hillbillies had was an olds. Jethro may be looking for that.

Drunk Man and kiwijeff like this.
  4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool , hope you post some photos of the build ,

5. cheemo

cheemo

This is the only picture for today. When I stripped it down I found the crank sitting under the gas tank. My buddy and I were laughing about how awesome it would be if the engine turned over. Sure enough it does. I don't plan on putting the engine back in but I am not throwing it out. After I build the car I might rebuild the engine just to run in my garage.

The car is almost completely stripped to the frame. I plan on keeping the parallel front leafs with straight axle, but how do I add proper hubs and brakes? I guess I am really asking who might makes spindles etc that will fit, or need little machining, for this axle? I have built my fair share of cars but never one this old. There are a few things I am not sure of.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    kiwijeff likes this.
  6. bstaley442

bstaley442

The grille is a 28, you are right the oval olds logo was ONLY used on 28, no they didn't offer a truck, but lots of ways to convert, we have seen quite a few that were on farms converted. We restored a 28 4 door, and now have a 28 roadster, that we plan to put back original as it is all there. We also have a 29 4 door sedan that we plan to sell. We know lots about the original cars so if you want any info on what was origianl we would be happy to help. Dont' get on hamb every day so you can use our email [email protected]. Oh and by the way that front bumper is not the right one it looks to be a 1930. They probalby pushed something and messed up the original one.
    Butch and Brenda

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

I've seen them in worse shape. Keep us informed on your build.

8. The Beverly Hillbillies truck was a '24 Olds. Lots of older cars, especially bigger and heavier cars like your Olds, got converted to trucks during WWII.

9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Hmmm.....Perhaps, build a woody wagon out of it???

10. KDAWG 28

KDAWG 28

That is a 1928 Oldsmobile, I can tell by the sweeping bend on the hood and the headlight bracket. I have a 28 Olds sedan street rod. Keep working on it. It is a big hit at shows and cruise-ins because it is very rare.

11. I'd like to see what you have done with it in last five years.
    I hope you got the engine running, that would be a cool shop display.
    My buddy down the street has a hubcap off one, looks same as on your car.