Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Model A RS Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SRAMA, Aug 25, 2020.

1. SRAMA

SRAMA
    from windsor on

So I have decided to try and document my rebuild.
    I bought a running car (see https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/look-what-i-found-on-the-side-of-the-road.1197477/ ). When I bought the car my original intent was just to ad a T-5 tranny and probably hydraulic brakes. So with that thought in mind I started looking for a T-5 and soon found a 1998 S-10 complete running cab and chassis. Meanwhile back at the farm we have been unable to to get the A banger running properly. My buddy say to me you have a good motor, tranny and rear end sitting there so piter pater lets get ater.

Progress so far is the A frame rails are clear front to back, I do not want to remove the body from the frame. The S-10 has given up its power train. I have purchased a dropped tube axle with chevy spindles and GM 11 inch rotors and brakes. I have a bunch of parts from Speedway sitting in a warehouse in Detroit hoping I can get it into Canada soon ...... they expect the boarder to be closed for at least another 30 days.
    Today I did 8 hours of the work that they never show on TV or you tube. Power washed motor and trans. Wire brushed 20 years of crude off the rear axel housing. Power washed the rear end. Removed the oil pan from the engine and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Removed the valve cover and cleaned.
    The good news is virtually no sludge inside the motor and pan. Plugs look excellent.

And now for the QUESTIONS.
    The plan is no throttle body, injectors, crank triggered coil pack, and computer, but rather a small carburetor and distributor. Can anyone point me towards an intake manifold?? I believe that an early Cavalier has a distributor driven off the oil pump drive, anyone have any experience doing this. Another thought is to belt drive the distributor off the front pulley.

Attached Files:

Dave Mc and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Which motor are you dealing with here? Sort of important to know that info :);)

scrap metal 48 and chopndrop like this.
  3. SRAMA

SRAMA
    from windsor on

Yeah I thought of that after I sat down for supper. Its still going to be a banger GM 2.2 L I4. Problem might be that its going to look lost in the engine compartment. After losing the throttle body intake it looks just tiny.

The other thing about this project is it is old school. That is to say home made changes to increase performance and safety.

4. SRAMA

SRAMA
    from windsor on

Long over due up date.

I had a really hard time finding 15 inch chevy wheels, but found a set of truspokes for reasonable (for them) price.
    The rear end is all in including all new brakes (came with the s-10 when I bought it).
    The front suspension is all in except the steering, with new brakes.
    The motor and trans are "in position" the steering box mounting plate is welded in and tomorrow I will build motor mounts.
    Still a long way to go but starting to look like it will be a real driver. 2.2L banger, T-5 trans, power brake and power steering to make it seniors suitable.

This COVID thing has really made building a car in CANADA extra hard. The boarder is closed. Have had to be really creative to get parts but its getting there.
    Oh did I mention that the shop we are working out of is for sale and we will have to get out with possibly only 60 days notice.

I am really old ............ so I don't want any computers in my 92 year old ride. So the crank trigger and coil packs are gone, a VW 009 distributer will handle ignition, looks like it may fit in the original GM location, or may have to be belt driven remotely. A carb will replace the throttle body, but I am having problems finding a suitable intake. I have a pair of Solex side draft carbs which could feed the stock intake but I don't really want to use them.

Thanks

5. SRAMA

SRAMA
    from windsor on

Been really busy building a hot rod under less than ideal conditions. Covid 19 with the boarder closed. Shop is for sale. And we need to finish three cars.
    Small update. Chassis and suspension all done except for shaft from steering column to steering box needs to be cut to final length. Brakes done and bleed. Distributor fit to motor. Carb on way from California (by dog sled). Just about everything in hand to finish except for a heater.

So the reason I'm here today is to ask for input on a heater for a model a coupe. In the past I installed a heater under the seat of my 35 chev but I have mixed emotions on doing that in this build. Would really like to see some pictures of under dash or firewall mounted heaters (no AC for this build).

thanks
    STEVE