Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 Model A High-Boy Build Thread, Finally

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jer11ren, Jun 8, 2010.

1. jer11ren

jer11ren

I've used the HAMB as my education since leaving OK in 2000 and all of my car buds (who have since passed). I'll try to not get too long winded here. My dream has always been to have a 5 window coupe built on a shoestring budget, as it would have been in the day. Somewhere along the lines "rat rods" became popular which has clouded regular peoples interpretation of my intent. Thankfully folks here "get it". I wanted to start with a running old car like someone would have done in the day, wanted my pops and all my friends to say they had got to drive it before she was a hot rod. My wife talked me into and paid for a 32 frame from Kiwi Connection...now I regret that in the excitement I ditched all the banger stuff, live and learn. Well, correction, I sold it to a guy building a speedster, but I still with I'd built the banger, then we'd be driving her now.

Attached Files:

• i-1.jpg
      i-1.jpg
      File size:
      158.4 KB
      Views:
    • i-2.jpg
      i-2.jpg
      File size:
      170.3 KB
      Views:
    • i-3.jpg
      i-3.jpg
      File size:
      182.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jer11ren

jer11ren

After going to VLV and getting the frame. I also got a street rod frame with a 350/350 combo in the original deal. The guy had plans, but just couldn't cut her up. The pink engine came from a guy that upgraded to a later model...had to get some stripper on that quick!! Want to get a 283, but it is a fresh motor and if he spent as much on the motor as the paint it is one helluva motor...took forever to get that off! In the original deal the frame had these wheels which I love on a GM car, but they just weren't right for what I wanted and had to go. It was all GM bolt pattern also, even if nobody sees it, I want to see a 5 on 5.5 when I pop a hubcap, so this had to change. Falling asleep, will post more tomorrow! This was all about 3 years ago.

Attached Files:

3. That looks like a nice, solid body. Keep us posted.

-mikethegreek-

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice solid coupe..Sounds like you're having fun, which is what it's all about.....

5. jer11ren

jer11ren

After 4 years I finally got the rod running! Put about 80 miles on her last weekend and she drove straighter and smoother than any of my dailies! I am so pumped that I am driving everyone around me crazy with excitement even though most don't "get it". I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on here. When I started I had a little tinkering experience and a lot of passion. I've yet to make a car buddy in AZ that knows more than how to change oil so I have done this all with help from the HAMB, a box of 50's and 60's Hot Rod's, and my imagination. Along the way I have learned a lot of cool skills and info. and also had to spend a lot of the rod budget on tools, welder, bigger compressor. She may not be the coolest, but she's mine and I can tell you a story about any part on her. It's not even close to done, but at least we can drive her and have some fun. If I could just to the point of tolerating everyone asking about my rat rod, ugh! Hard to explain to a non car person that a rat rod wouldn't have early brakes, rubber lines, safe engineering, etc...etc....My plans are to chop 3 inches and redo the vinyl since she's a leatherback. Finished in Washington Blue with red naughehyde. I'm so glad I went with the 4 speed, extra work, but so much more fun to drive! Thanks again, seriously, without the HAMB none of this would have happened.

Jerry

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice looking coupe.. Sits really good.. 3" chop is not much since a 28-29 is an inch taller in the side windows compared to 30-31.. Whatever you decide, sounds like you're having fun.....

7. jer11ren

jer11ren

Yeah, I actually see her on the road now and think that the 32 frame adds enough to the proportion that she doesn't need much chop at all. I do agree that if it was on an A frame that more of a chop is necessary to get the numbers right. I am pretty set on the 3" just to set the rear windows square. I look at chops like my wife talks about b**b jobs....you need to look and wonder....are they, or are they not....Thanks for the compliments!

8. oj

oj

Man-o-man, that is a tough call on the chop. I think i'd drive her like that for afew years, remember that little banger that you regretted cutting loose? Whacking the top is pretty much a one-way trip and what you've got is just sooo good. I'm doing a '28 tudor and so far the best thing i have done to it is not to chop the top. Don't get me wrong, i'm in favor of whacking - look at my avatar - but sometimes the natural beauty just shines thru. Whichever way you go i am sure you'll do a good job of it, oj

9. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Now me personally, maybe I'm more ol' school, but I think it looks really cool just the way it is...don't chop it...you'll miss the headroom and the vision...and besides...everybody and their brother has a chopped one...be different...it just looks so much cooler and it would make it that much closer to done. Major plus!

10. jer11ren

jer11ren

Well the deciding factor on the chop is that I can get the factory top stuff for under 200 and get the wife out of the cold. If I chop it gets a lot more complicated! Of course, the cold here is only about 50.....Lovin' AZ! I do agree though, I will keep her as is, though I built it with the seat and steering set for about a 4 inch haircut just in case. I actually had ditched my seat sliders, but on final assembly last week decided that the car looked good as is so I could handle the 1 1/2" they added to the height. Already glad I hadn't bolted the seat straight to the floor. Had a friend suffering a loss that is about 5 ' 3 that I got to take the car over and let him drive her, he has been as excited as me and has a couple cool show cars, it really cheered him up. Its the small things like that that are what life is about.

11. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Bravo for the no chop..and yea..sittin' too low could be a problem too--gangster look in a hot rod--lol. Makes ya feel good doesn't it when something as small as a friend driving your car can make their day. That's what I love about hot rods, any time you drive them makes your day.

12. jer11ren

jer11ren

Hate to go off-topic, but I agree. My wife and I have been together 22 years with no kids just furries, motorcycles, and various old Fords. People think I'm nuts, but washing your old car or tuning her up always seems to be rewarded by her running just a bit better, seems like it makes em happy! Just like the motor in the 28 that was totally stuck after sitting around. I oiled her up, prayed, and finally said "f it" and broke her loose with a pry bar. She started on less than a full rev, and runs like a new car. My wife says "Well, yeah, she is probably saying how glad she is to finally be alive again in a cool car"

13. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Sounds like you have a cool wife as well. Mine kinda said something along the same lines when things started going right on my project, she said she's ( the roadster ) just glad she's being brought back to life. Had to agree. I can't wait to see it on the road...right now I'm just waiting for paint to dry on the frame.

14. 117harv

117harv

15. jer11ren

jer11ren

Have put about 2000 miles on her. The 350 was running great, during a head swap I saw how terrible the scores were on number 1 so I found a early power pack 283. Ditched the lakes headers for ram horns and stayed with a cast 67 oem square bore intake to keep it looking early. Runs great and it feels so much better to know its not a 350. Getting around 18 mpg is nice too! Just got the wood kit in this week and ordering paint supplies. Planning for a matte midnight blue. I'm so spoiled to just jumping in and running to a cruise night that I'm afraid I'd go nuts keeping shiney all shiney. My first paint other than the frame and components which turned out flawless so I am nervous that it was beginners luck.

16. jer11ren

jer11ren

ImageUploadedByTJJ1360798669.738221.jpg
    Just an update. Been taking paint and body classes and decided I only want to do all of this once. So I chopped 3 inches out of the top. I lowered the back glass 1 inch. Interesting test of patience with all of the wood in a special coupe! I just need to finish welding and do some quarter patches and she will be on the way to some shiney black paint!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. brady1929

brady1929

awesome hot rod

18. zjerry

zjerry

Nice Looking Model A :)

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on building your dream car! Looks cool.

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Really taking shape...

21. Sweet coupe... It was fine and dandy as it was, but I'm glad you chopped it!

22. jer11ren

jer11ren

Thanks for the compliments! I've been working non-stop to get her together to pull out for Viva on the 28th. Viva isn't really our scene, but we have made it a goal since that's where we first picked up her frame. Got the Procar buckets in red vinyl and love them. They may be some of the first ones out there since they showed not available until the 13 and mine arrived about 2 weeks ago. Did bedliner yesterday and got wheels back from powdercoater. Now just need to start shooting and sanding. Wish me luck, it's my first paint outside of a few 2 night classes ar Adco here in PHX.

23. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Paint the frame the same color as the body.

Make sure your chick plays dress-up for you at viva.

Attached Files:

• 058.JPG
      058.JPG
      File size:
      258.5 KB
      Views:
  24. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Open lake headers are the baddest fucken thing in the world, HUH

But the fume get old fast, huh

25. Christom

Christom

Cool build. Don't you just love the HAMB it was from here that I got my inspiration for a traditional hotrod build too. Just as well Ford made plenty of Model A's for us all!

26. jer11ren

jer11ren

Been busting my tail! Wife is working on the top and I just need to mount up seats. I ran out of time on paint and just sealed her up with epoxy, but at least she's straight. Will do more pics and a vid with the Porter mufflers when things slow down. I was wondering how many chopped special coupes on deuce rails are in existence..... Thanks for the comments! I don't know any car folks in PHX so it's nice to have someone appreciate your work!

Attached Files:

27. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Great looking vehicle. I'm looking to do a hiboy myself, and possibly a little chop. Any reason you chose to do a hiboy or did you just like the look?

28. jer11ren

jer11ren

We got it together and made it! Wish we'd got to meet some hambers, but the wife kept me running so much I wasn't by the car often. I figured since she put up with me working 16 hours a day for 6 weeks and her and her mom spent two late nights installing the top when I was ready to throw in the towel she deserved it. Thanks to glassman on here for getting my glass rushed out, it arrived 8 hours before we left! Still don't understand all of the bad press this show gets, we enjoy the music and people watching even though wearent into the scene much and the rat rods had a very small presence.

Attached Files:

29. jer11ren

jer11ren

Proud pic of my girls!

Attached Files:

30. Saw your car at Viva, looking good!