Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Model A, A-V8 or 153ci Chevy II motor? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by VinnieCap, May 22, 2018.

?
  1. Flathead

69 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. 153ci

52 vote(s)
    43.0%
  1. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

surprised at all the Chevy fans...I vote flathead either 4 or 8 but remember your firewall comes in two peices one could easily obtain and modify a lower section then bolt in your new firewall with your engine swap...I also would even before swapping engines convert it over to juice brakes...in terms of resale the stock four would hold it's value in both stock and Hot Rod form the V-8 flathead would increase it and the Chev would be saleable to the handful of guys who responded in favor of it and that's about it...it's too '80's street rod jmo

55styleliner likes this.
  2. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Not sure I am clear on this either. To me traditional is all about the looks. So not an 80's street rod look with billet and such. The picture of my friends roadster pickup with the 153... most people at a car show wouldn't even know that's not the original hopped up motor.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Chavezk21, craig b blue and Tim like this.
  3. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

I have decided I am going to use the 153ci motor and dress it out just like the picture I posted.

dogwalkin and Tim like this.
  4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Smart! My avatar has a hopped up A engine with a fully synchronized 3 spd with O/D. I have been driving it for 22 years thru 4 states but I have a Mercruiser 4 cyl to put in another A as soon as I get a chance

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I have a couple of Model A's with hot bangers in them and they are fun. That said, if I was going to do an engine swap I'd probably go with the Iron Duke, it would be easier and cheaper.

6. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Questions for Mercruiser owners...
    Due to it being a boat engine, what needs to be done to make it a good, street engine? Cam, water pump, intake, etc.

I figure it would be built with a cam profile more suitable for high RPMs on the water, but maybe not... I dunno.

Also, what can be removed from the boat engine that isn't needed for street operation?

Details fellas, details! :)

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Really the only weird thing on the boat motors are water heated intakes. The cam lands around a 3/4 isky grind. Only other noticeable difference is the boat fuel pump has a build in fuel filter.

There are some massive threads on these motors here on the forum so I’ll just suggest searching for and reading them if you’ve got more questions

8. I was told by an automotive engineer that I respected greatly and was familiar with the engines and their use in boats and cars to replace the cam. I didn't and was unhappy with the performance, something I attribute to the cam

Charlie Stephens

nailheadroadster likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Think there's something to that, Charlie! My Dad pulled the 283 out of his '29 roadster to rebuild it, and set a 153 in there for the amount of time it would take for the machine shop to do their best...
    Meanwhile, the trip from Santa Cruz to Reno ('Last Bash', '73) was horrid. Roadster went from 65 on freeway down to 25 (!) low range P/G, over the hill outside Sacramento! Mom learned swear words she never knew existed.
    Later, I suggested dialing the cam...(I had the tooling) but Pop was hell-bent to get that 283 back in there!
    He sold the little 153, I was disappointed. I like Porsche, BMW, Model A/B 4 Bangers. They can be 'adjusted'.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The 153 and 181 variants might havendifferent grinds, check out the model a pickup build thread for lance sorchik from a few years ago and his mechanic talks a tons about all the variations in stock parts.

I’m going to stick an aftermarket one in mine but I’m almost positive that his pickup has a boat cam in it.

11. zjerry

zjerry

I have a 1940 chevy that I got in 1988 had a il title and I live in st.Louis mo so I had to take to mo state highway patrol after I pulled the engine . They used the number on the floor for the vin.

lake_harley likes this.
  12. roder1935

roder1935

Can't beat a flathead but they are not cheap on the other hand the little chevy will be great for you
    I get guys not wanting to alter a nice car but if you want to be realistic how many hot rods have ever been returned to stock even if they could be easly. Most guys like speed parts go to the ford barn they talk about up grades alot, also in most original type clubs early speed parts ar acceptable but don't tell some of them it's realy a hot rod with there upgrades
    Have fun and go faster

13. 6sally6

6sally6

I thought "boat motors" ran the opposite direction than automobile engines!
    I guess you could build an adapter to run the tranny off the crank dampener! (;
    6sally6

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would never put a flathead in anything with a hood. they have no redeeming qualities as a powerplant other than looks, nostalgia... things like that. I'd just leave the car alone and drive slow.

15. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Taking power off the "wrong" end would be a major task, easier to replace the camshaft and oil pump drive gear. Or if it's for an older Ford, just turn the rear end center section upside down. However, marine engines generally do not run "backwards", but boats with twin engines have one rotating in the opposite direction, to negate torque reaction that causes the hull to lean. (I have an acquaintance that built a rod around an engine he was given, wound up having one forward speed, three in reverse. Wasn't told it was a marine engine!)

16. 6sally6

6sally6

Yeah!!!!!! Just fun'in. I have "heard" of stories where the engine guy was baffled until he changed the cam and oil pump.
    6sally6

17. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

The 2.0 is an OHC motor, so a step further away from traditional than the push-rod Chev, if that's a concern. But then, why not use a 2.3 Ford OHC; looks about the same, although a different engine. Or, why not a more modern Ford four, double OHC Zetec (aluminum head) or Duratec (all aluminum).

18. The boat engine turns the other way so you'll need a car cam for sure, I had a 153 in a t lakster with a glass body and powerglide it was slow but got up to speed after a good long while, std trans will help. JW

19. You are right the cam has got to be changed to make it go the right direction.

20. The only time the boat engine turns the wrong way is when it is one of a pair of engines where they turn in different directions. Most small boats will have only one engine and it will turn the right way.

Charlie Stephens

Tim likes this.
  21. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

The GM four cylinder engine families are a very complex subject. The 151 is the true "iron duke" (Pontiac designed), the 153 is a Chevvy 6, minus two cylinders. These designs are not related. Mercruisers come up to 3.7 litres. 151s and 153s had intakes on opposite sides. Both initially used Chevvy V8 bell housing bolt patterns. Latest 153s had cross-flow heads (Citations, Diet is, S10s). At some point, balance shafts were added to reduce vibrations. The best overview of all this can be found here:
    https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-mercruiser-engines/97039/page1

RoddyB34 likes this.
  22. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Cross-flow application above should say Fiero, not "Diet is"; God bless spell check!
    I personally prefer the Chevvy cross-flow, just based on appearance. Side draft Webers look great, but non-traditional on rods, even though they go back at least to the forties
    Or side draft Carter's (first Corvettes, some Nashes, some boats). But I doubt these would fit within the hood line, if that's a concern. So, down-draft Webers or Strombergs.

23. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

The 153ci I will be using is not a marine engine. It's out of a Nova. They were the standard motor for the early Chevy II's

RoddyB34 likes this.
  24. 283

I had a Chevy II in my dragster for several years it was a fun reliable little engine. There are speed parts available if you are so inclined. I have an Ansen alum head, side draft Webers, Racer brown roller cam 12 to 1 slugs and a Hank the Crank crank to stroke it out to 171 cube. These engines were called the poor mans Offy and powered many USAC midgets.

Tim likes this.
  25. fortynut

fortynut

Arg! Put a small Bloch Chevy V8 in it and build the appropriate drive train to go with it. Otherwise you will eventually go around saying to anyone who will listen, "I could've had a V8." I know this isn't an answer to your question, but knowing what I know about the human species, enough is never never enough. We are not a complacent bunch. One night, as you're trying to get to sleep, the thought will begin to nag you: juice brakes, small block, four or five speed, nine inch rear-end, dropped axle, yawn....and when you realize that, remember someone on the HAMB made those suggestions to remind you. Enough is never enough.

Manager likes this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Why stop there 40nut? Independent suspension, air conditioning! Tilt column, cruise control!

Flathead guys and sbc guys aren’t really looking to build the same thing. That 4 banger will put out stock what a “3/4 race” flathead will and plenty of guys are happy with their flatheads.

27. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 153 Chevy is a nice engine with plenty of potential and speed parts available. I've built a few for friends that were removed from old post office Jeeps. Most likely the cost effective option. However if you want to spend a bit more and get a kind of Offenhauser look, don't rule out a Quad-4.

28. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

One of my other 'fun cars' is one of the new Dodge Challenger Scat Packs, so that puts out almost 500hp. I can use that if I want to go fast. :)

I have not found any places to buy new parts for this motor. I do need a stock oil pan for it. What other parts are available? Who sells these parts? I've looked at the Nova parts places but haven't seen much more than bearings and such.

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So let me get this straight, the little Chevy II four banger will put out as much or more horsepower as a good running flathead V8? Is that true?

30. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I have not found any places to buy new parts for this motor."
    The Nova sites would not be my first look. Basic hard parts are at most parts stores. Or online at Summit, etc. From about 1962-1968 the 153 was king of the midget racing world, so lots of speed parts can be found used. Clifford Performance still is making some stuff. You can find basic intake and carb upgrades, and you can find dual Webber side draft intakes. A friend recently bought a Hilborn injection setup and converted to EFI. So kind of a mild to wild assortment. Plus the normal selection of side plates and valve covers.