The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mrrilla, Dec 30, 2019.
I kinda like the no windshield look!
It’s shaping up!
GO MAN,GO! LQQKING GOOD!
My boys wanted to quail hunt this past weekend so I didn't get much done. I made my body mounts (6x) out of 1.75 inch diameter, 80A Durometer, polyurethane round stock.
I also made some quarter panel bracing. These might be overkill but I wanted those B-pillars to be rock solid. I also decided that I might want to make a folding soft top someday so I wanted some non-evasive provisions on both the sides and back rail. These tie into the square tubing along the rail and the sheet metal bracing.....if that makes sense.
I have been following this build with great interest.
Coupes over here are too rare to cut up into roadsters so you don’t see any being turned into Roadsters.
The proportions on yours look spot on, it makes you wonder why Chevrolet did not make them this size all along.
Your doing very nice work, really enjoying your build!
Enjoying the build. It's come a long ways!
This is really nice. Your metal work is great. Glad to see so much Chevy! Glad you didn't Fordicate it.
Very nice. I like that you kept the bumpers . Did you really leave the bumpers on through the whole build ? How many times did you hook your leg or bang your shin in the last 6 years ?
I actually laughed out loud when I read this. I tack my shins once a month and nearly everyone that stops by for a beer or two ends up with a bruised shin or on the ground.
I call them the widow makers.
I appreciate the comment. I am trying to make this look as factory as I can but making the proportions a little more driver friendly.
My two cents. Your windshield is too far forward. If it could be fitted on top of the transitional area between the cowl and the dash. That would also cover up the flat area. If it would work, place the windshield there and fill in the gap. I understand this is easy for me to say since I am just sitting looking at the pictures rather then the one doing the actual work.
On my Model A, the windshield is farther back.
The floors look fantastic. I really appreciate the non Ford build, particularly when it has a hemi. Looking forward to the progress on this one.
I thought about how to move the frame back and I was up against two issues. The first was making the rounded cowl transition into the very square door top. The stanchions already don't quite fit the Chevy Cowl and by moving them aft just makes that fitment even worse. The second was placing the stanchion reinforcement plate behind the cowl and fitting that into the C-Channel A-pillar. I think I figured how to do it but it'll require some major surgery to this area yest again. The other huge downside is that I already sliced and diced a stock 32 Ford windshield frame and now I need some width back. I can not for the life me find the pieces I removed so it looks like I'll be buying another frame to cut up yet again.
I'll post up pictures of the steps I went through once I get my new frame.
I am still working on the body but on the non-glamorous tasks like rust repair. I replaced the entire lower section of the quarter panels on both sides and replaced the rear corner panels. I made these panels follow the lines of the frame rather than straight across like the stock design. I also rolled the lower edge to give it some strength whereas the original wheel well was basically flat. You can also see that I rolled a lip into the floors so I could spot weld the quarter panels to them. This really tied everything together and stiffened it right up. I also plugged the fender nutplate holes since I opted out of the rear fender look.
I also finished off the floor by filling in the last two openings that tie into the B-Pillar. Pretty simple pieces with the rolled downward edge to tie into the quarter panel just behind the B-pillar. The is okay but it'll need some seam sealer.
I also worked on the A-Pillar to tie in the cowl to my C-Channels. I am relying on the cowl skin, dash, and a small amount of stiffeners on the backside to keep the C-channel from twisting. Luckily, the doors weigh next to nothing and the plan seems to have worked because the welded structure is stiff but still pretty lightweight. Still needs a little more weld cleanup and a skim coat of filler. You can also get a preview of the window stanchion area surgery that is about to happen. Again tying the backside plate into the A-pillar for strength purposes will be tricky.
You are building one sweet ride, sir! Looking very sweet indeed!
I just can't get past a near HUNDRED year old car and it just has some surface rust on it!!! Do you know what it would(have) looked like if it was left outside in south Ga or SC?! You could rake it up in a big dust pan!
6sallyOK..........a little more than surface rust but........you get-my-drift!
Got a love those dry climate cars..... from eastern Washington through Montana down to Arizona and California
I was very lucky with the sheet metal I started with. When we were young we didn't give a second thought to anything with rust. It was not worth the effort to build a rusted out Duce if a pristine '29 was available. Things have changed. Of course way back then they hadn't had time to rust much.
So nice to see someone rodding a '28 Chevy, or any old Chevy, and keeping the parallel springs.
I've followed too many Chevy hot rod builds that are going very nicely and then the front axle gets ditched for a F**d one and I tend loose interest.
Herd mentality at work there maybe, but I say dare to be different, so glad we agree..
I call it Fordication, it's nasty and you don't want your mom to know you do it.
Run no windscreen and wear red baron goggles......now that'd be traditional !!!
Haha, quite so..
I'm doing the same, only it's a non fendered 27 Chev coupster. I agonized over the front corner sweeps also, so this what I did.
Separate names with a comma.