Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Ford Tudor Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coreythompsonhm, May 20, 2018.

1. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

A few years ago I picket up some parts here and there at swap meets, eventually got "lucky" and got a rusted out basket case 28 Ford Tudor, body panels only. Bullet holes, rotting bottoms AND rotting roof line (probably stored upside down at one point). Someone many years ago cut the a pillars off (missing). The panels above the doors were missing. Doors are fairly good minus rot at the bottom where water filled the frame. No subrails except two fragments on each side. Rear panels besides window area is paper thin. Well, heres what I am working with...

[​IMG]20180505_160852 by coreythompsonhm, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180505_160943 by coreythompsonhm, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180505_160932 by coreythompsonhm, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180505_163134 by coreythompsonhm, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180505_163342 by coreythompsonhm, on Flickr
    [​IMG]28/29 Model A by coreythompsonhm, on Flickr

Somebody was using tubing and angle at one point to make subrails. It is on both cowl posts.

[​IMG]20180505_163104 by coreythompsonhm, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180505_163114 by coreythompsonhm, on Flickr

I have a long road ahead of me. First step in repairs is fabricating the missing A pillars using the windshield frame as a guide, then the over the windshield header panel.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    spurgeonforge likes this.
  2. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Looking forward to this

3. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

Oh yes... the cowl panels...

Back when I got this body several friends were involved in the RR craze. Right away I started making some patch panels and decided to follow suit, was going to go with an aviation RR theme, did a line of rivets to attach the panel on (thankfully only) one cowl panel, then went into a "I have zero free time" portion of life. Now I have a lot of holes to fill and smooth. But thankfully changed my mind and will be doing full paint with traditional inspirations with the overall build.

[​IMG]20180519_165137 by coreythompsonhm, on Flickr

4. alchemy

alchemy

You must have gone from " I have zero time" to "all I have is time". Those are about the worst Model A panels a guy could start with. If you were anywhere in the Midwest my little brother could set you up with LOTS better panels for a good price. PM Corn Fed if you want to buy Model A stuff.

5. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

That is correct, though that will be changing back to working 40 hour weeks. But, guaranteed weekends and off at 1 pm is going to be nice during the summer, enough time AND money to work on it.

I agree, these panels are pretty bad, but with the exception of the rear panel everything is pretty solid, except where its not. The only spot that is intimidating me is the tops of the A pillars as I have not seen up close how it all goes together. I am searching the web for pics up close of the corner as we speak.

Just dunked the subrail fragment from the passenger cowl panel that got trimmed off into evapo rust. Will be looking into other chellation solution recipes. Will see what condition the subrail is in tomorrow. If its clean and ready, I will get it installed into the passenger side tomorrow.

Im out in the northwest. I view this as a major challenge for myself so while yes, I could spend a few grand and get realllly nice panels, I want to bring this back from the scrap bin. I got the panels for 150 bucks so paying in elbow grease. But it will be one more henry back on the road.

6. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

No pics today. I spent this weekend with paper making some patterns for the roof sections of the two side panels. I am unsure of the A pillars, going to look into getting to a car show soon so I can take a peek. Got the I beam straightened out (had about a 7/8" gap at approximately center when held to a straightedge). Now its about 1/16" at the largest gap, good enough for me. Drove it down to a friends shop and magnufluxed it. Good to go, no cracks. Split the bones (need to weld in threaded bungs for rod ends). Today cleaned up the I beam and bones with a wire wheel. I have to decide if I want to get the axle dropped. I need to drill the bones for spring behind perches. A friend had bought the perches from speedway and decided to go spring above, stock location of the axle. Heard I was doing suicide front suspension and gave me the spring perches. I need to get wheels, tires, front spring, and a rear axle so I can start figuring out my z's.

7. alchemy

alchemy

If you are going to hang all the weight of the front of the car on those perches, make sure they are forged, not cast.

8. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

They are fabricated from 4130 and a bolt, tig welded together.