Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1928 Chevy Roadster Questions.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chev34ute, Dec 17, 2018.

1. chev34ute

chev34ute

Hey Guys.
    I am looking for measurements from a 27 or 28 Chevrolet Roadster.

They are shown in the diagram below:

A Height of the quarter panel at the B pillar.

B Length of quarter panel from door edge to wheel arch.

C Length of wheel arch.

2. chev34ute

chev34ute

3. chev34ute

chev34ute

The letters in the diagram are in the center of the arrows. Any help is appreciated.

4. bct

bct

did you find coupe 1/4s and plan to alter? ?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018

5. chev34ute

chev34ute

I dont have any Chev Coupe Quarter Panels. I want to make up some Roadster Quarter Panels but i need basic measurements to do so.

6. bct

bct

ahh.... ive seen lots of chev coupe 1/4s around and even have a set but never found a set of roadster 1/4s. the pic you drew has the exact shape of the coupe parts. that's why I asked. in proportion A will be shorter and B will be longer.

7. fortynut

fortynut

In the absence of a map, a man who in a landscape of the unknown, must consider where he wants to go, determined by common sense. I once owned a 1932 Chevrolet Coupe. Other than some repairs to the wood, it appeared normal --- unless you looked under the hood. It was powered by a Flathead Ford, had a '39 type Ford Transmission, closed driveshaft, and Banjo rear-end. Even though I was revolted by the idea, I drove it. If you can't find the correct dimensions per your post, and since I don't know if you have a deck-lid/trunk cover, and knowing that you have measurements of the correct year Chevrolet Coupe, if were this was my problem to solve, I would measure a Ford of the same year and using the measurements already known and would extrapolate a design that would work. This would start with a pattern, that can be altered (except for the curves and shapes). A better model could be made of modeling clay. As we are aware the subtle nature of shapes are often altered for aesthetic reasons; so it might be seen as either phantom quarters, or the optional aftermarket versions. After we are not hidebound to color inside the lines, are we?

8. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

^^^ What did he just say?

chopped and 6inarow like this.
  9. chev34ute

chev34ute

I apologise for the wonky looking diagram, I hastily sketched it without giving enough thought to where the wheel arch would sit in relation to the cockpit. Over here 27/28 Chev Coupes are pretty rare, but there are a few Roadsters around.

1927/28 Chev tourers however are a dime a dozen and a couple of months ago I ended up with some 29 Chev parts that included a 28 Chev Tourer Door. The idea I had was to source a 28 Tourer cowl, and use the Tourer door as a pattern to make up some roadster doors.

From there I could make up quarter panels for either roadsters or roadster pickups.

10. chev34ute

chev34ute

11. chev34ute

chev34ute

The images above are of some panels I am shaping at the moment. The quarter panel is being made to suit a 1930 Model A Coupe. As far as doors go, 28 Chev doors having less crown and timber frame will be much easier to shape than the equivelant year Model A Roadster doors.

12. chev34ute

chev34ute

13. chev34ute

chev34ute

14. chev34ute

chev34ute

The images above show another one I shaped up as an exercise. It was far more challenging than I liked. The Chev ones would be a breeze compared with this and the doors could be lengthened and quarter panels shortened accordingly to suit seating preferences.

There are still plenty of these 28 Chev Tourers around waiting to be rebuilt and most of them are missing everything from the cowl back. So I figured there might be some interest in making up the bodies as either Roadsters or Roadster pickups to suit.

If I can’t the measurements, I will try and source a 28 cowl that I can use as a guide for the doors and quarters.

bct likes this.
  15. r2c1

r2c1

Here's a picture of a coupe 1/4 panel. Notice the fender continues past the 1/4. The roadster does the same, but the distance from the fender to the door is longer than on the coupe. ( shorter door on the roadster). The height is also different. Sorry I don't have dimensions. Had a roadster 1/4 at one time so I know they are different.
    There was a gentleman on here a year or so ago that had a 28. Might do a search. I am building a 27 roadster ( coupster) from a coupe. Some pics of what I started with.. IMG_1656.JPG IMG_1655.JPG

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    TFoch and bct like this.
  16. As you probably know, the coupes were made by Fisher and the roadsters by Chevrolet, so there are a few minor differences. I have one of each out in the shop at my dads and can get you some measurements. The only disclaimer is measurement A will be approximate since this car was victim to some poor restoration work. the lower half of the body must have rusted away, as the previous owner just tack brazed in some panels an put in a half inch of body filler. In my quest to make it a little more right, I welded in new patch panels, but found he had a quarter inch difference in the two sides, so not sure which is right. I can't see your full drawing, is C just the wheel arch, or the distance to the back edge of the car?

The guys also tried fitting a coupe hood on the car, so would love to find a roadster hood. And fashioned a coupe trunk lid as a rumble seat...so I guess there will be a few disclaimers on all the dimensions because he very well may have thrown some coupe quarter panels on there too. But I'll compare dimensions to the coupe and report back.

bct likes this.
  17. As near as I can tell, A is 22", B is 28", and C is approximately 27". There isn't really a wheel arch opening, so on b and c I measured to where the front of the fender would mount.

Other possible usefull dimensions: in the A direction, it is 3 3/8 from the top to the center of the beltline, and 18 7/8 from the center of the beltline to the bottom. In the B direction it is 37 1/2 from the door opening to the place where the bottom of the quarter kicks up, and it is 56 1/2 overall from door opening to the very back of the panel.

Again, this car has seen some poor treatment, so dimensions could be off by 1/4" if you compared to a nicer example.

bct likes this.
  18. And for comparison on the coupe, the B dimension is 16".

bct likes this.
  19. chev34ute

chev34ute

Thank you for that information.

20. Sinnful

Sinnful

Hey there.

I have a '28 roadster. This weekend I can try to dig out some quarters to measure if you still need the measurements?

bct likes this.
  21. bct

bct