Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Chevy Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Jul 2, 2016.

1. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

My wife is handling the registration for our big car show this fall, so her name and phone number are on the flyers all over the place. The lady found her number, as a car club contact, and wife forwarded it to me. She just wanted to know if someone from the car club would know what to do with an old car body on her property. Well, I figured out what to do with it!

2. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

You sure did Jim it couldn't have found a better place to land! Joe

3. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Have you let the lady know you got it running and driving yet?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

squirrel and redlineracer42 like this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The front brakes being cam actuated roller shoes should be pretty effective when all is set well..My Crosley should be so lucky...

squirrel likes this.
  5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

It is amazing the juxtaposition to your talent Jim. What's not lazy for you would be another mans dream and vice versa. It's not Laziness, it's Individuality at it's best :). "We are one but not the same" One by U2.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I guess my laziness is a bit different than most, I'll spend a lot of time thinking about different ways to do something, so it's a little bit easier. But when it comes to actually doing the work that's necessary to accomplish a goal, I go at it full boogie.

Yeah, I called her last week, asking about those artillery wheels. Apparently they belong to her brother, which I think means that I'll never get them. I told her I was driving the car around the yard, she thought I was joking. but I took some time to explain what all I did, and I sent her a picture, and I think she believes me, although I haven't heard back.

els, kiwijeff, oldsjoe and 1 other person like this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

She has to be amazed that the rusty old "yard art" actually runs and drives! I know I am.

Johnboy34, oldsjoe and squirrel like this.
  8. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Patiently waiting for progress......BTW, this is one of the best threads on the HAMB.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I have to take care of some other stuff around the house and shop, I can only take an impromptu 3 weeks off of real life every now and then...

els, clunker, Johnboy34 and 1 other person like this.
  10. bct

bct

thanks for sharing it with us all.

11. budd

budd

would a stock 28 chevy blow the doors off a 28 model-A?

triman62 and Baumi like this.
  12. I love this thing, it just keeps getting better.
    I cannot imagine what it'll look like when your done with it, but I know I'll enjoy every minute reading about it.
    Thanks for sharing this with us, it's so damn cool.

Blues4U likes this.
  13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha, that is a very good question. And the traditional answer to your question is : HELL YES!! 'cause it can!

(this might start another Chev vs. Ford Tornado, hahaha)

triman62 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Doubt it..:p

Baumi likes this.
  15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Then as now MoPar was building the quick cars. PB Plymouth and Dodge Fast Fours(I know Dodge was not part of Chrysler when they built Fast Fours) are pretty fast. But back to the body. I was watching a car show on TV and the guy used the rear quarters from a 58 Ford for his custom thing. Edsel maybe? Edit I don't really mean this.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  16. squirrel

squirrel

I thought about it, but not for very long....I've looked at pics of some of the odd rods with an old car cowl, and newer rear body parts, sliced and diced. They're neat, but not really something I want to build.

els likes this.
  17. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

18. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

Been working on other things lately.....getting the Chevy II ready for drag week, getting the 57 Suburban ready to haul it to drag week. And the Edsel ready for the LeMons Rally, leaving Sunday for that. To top it off, bought an old Airstream trailer for my wife, which of course needs a lot of work since it was in my price range.

One of these days, I'll get some more work done on the 28. Probably not right away.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Repairing an Airstream is easier than fabricating the back end for a Speedster. :confused: Funny how woman can get men to do things that they normally would not want to. ;) All joking aside. Is it a Bambi ? Those are all ready as short as they come. :D

20. squirrel

squirrel

no, this one is a 23' Safari, 1972. It's a little longer than the suburban, but not much. It's probably going to be a winter project.

els and Johnny Gee like this.
  21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Tell the wife if plans fall through with the the air stream you should still be able to salvage the stainless for something like this on the 28 chev.:eek:.......:mad:........:D:D:D
    [​IMG]

22. squirrel

squirrel

aircraft grade aluminum :) that would look nice!

els likes this.
  23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

OK, Yeah I did also get a few more results when looking up aluminum body speedster rather than stainless speedster after you mentioned that:D

24. Jiminy

Jiminy

There is a pretty big supply up at Davis-Monthan, know anyone up there who could score you the tail section from something cool for your '28?
    I can't wait to see what you will do with the Airstream - will look really sweet behind your Suburban.

25. Jim,
    I was searching for a 40's Hudson hood to use as a speedster tail, but I bet that tweaking a '40-'46 or '47/'48 Chevrolet hood would work, too!

kiwijeff and tomschev2 like this.
  26. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Anything new on this, or are you still on the airstream?

27. squirrel

squirrel

I'm doing all sorts of things right now, but not the 28. Mostly getting the old Suburban and the "race" car ready for Drag Week. only about a week and a half till I leave. One of these days...

els likes this.
  28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Jim's busier than a cat covering up crap :D

bobss396 and Baumi like this.
  29. Or busier than a one-armed painter on a shaky ladder with a case of the crabs....