Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I am guessing it has to do with "spring back" and correctly forming to fit and grip the main bearing bore. I brought this up as something to think about if one was to machine spacers from tube or bar stock

2. Don't know if anyone saw the early C4 intake manifold on Espay, but it looked like the same one/type that Rufi used on his... it would have been nice to have, but couldn't justify dropping $200+ when it could be easily made- here are some pics:

Attached Files:

3. dawford

dawford

Yes I made the first bid $99.00 but I figure that I can make a better one for a 97 and when the bidding went higher I just let it go.

I got the last one I saw on ebay as the only bidder but I will have to remake it anyway to get the potential out of it. Photos below.

I will use the flanges by enlarging the ports and using larger tubing.

That is a nice manifold but I could not justify the high cost either.

The benifit has to justify the cost. Someone who dosn't want to fabricate their own or who wants a clean looking aluminum casting for a single barrel carb bought that one and I'm glad that they got it.

:) :) :) Dick :) :) :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  4. 1931av8

1931av8

That was mine. I bought it with a Carter W-1 attached to it. I wanted the W-1, but not the intake. I found an article from the 70's on Rufi's tank. Within the article was the photo of the engine. The intake I had and the one on his engine looked identical.

[​IMG]

Did some research and relisted it with a correct description. Apparently rare as I had about 80 hits but over 30 people watching it toward the end.

I agree that it would be easy to cast. Before packing it and shipping it to the buyer this morning, I jotted down the critical dimensions if anyone is interested.

Tom

5. 1931av8

1931av8

Here is my rough sketch from this morning if it is of assistance to any of you with backyard foundries:

[​IMG]

6. Tom,

Thanks for posting the measurements and congrats on the sale- really did want to bid to win, but my school district is adding some "furlough days" to our calendar...

Thanks again, Bill

7. NORSONAUTO,

My apologies to you and everyone- the Saturn I got the lifters from was an OHC 4!

Also found out that Perkins 4.154 rocker arms are 3.25 center to center... but after all this searching and pricing, it looks like making/have rocker arms made is the easier/better route. That way they can be roller-tipped... every little decrease in friction helps!

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Back to bearings. In my D version brand X motor I am using bearings from a 1494cc Hundi banger. I don't know what year it's a 2000 catalog. Also a 1298 cc Mitsubisi 4 and the Dodge Colt version of that. I punched the FM part number in my search window and Summit came on screen. So I ordered them and pretty soon I had them. On the P version of a brand X motor I am using Allis Chalmbers main bearings that I ordered at NAPA. Came pretty quick. I know I haven't seen any Allis tractors around here but maybe somewhere else. Both engines use 2 inch SBC rod bearings from 265-283- early 327 motors. Not to recent and I get all of them I want any time. So I wouldn't worry to much about bearings until you know they arn't comming.

9. G'day Tom, That ain't Rufi's engine out of the streamliner, the carbs bolted directly to the head plus that is a '26-'27 block Rufi would only use a '25 block. That manifold is the same/similar to the one Chuck Spurgin ran on his car around 1937 there is a picture in Hot Rod History book 2.

Outback likes this.
  10. 1931av8

1931av8

Can't seem to find that site with the reprint of the seventies article where this photo was derived. Knew I should have written that URL down! That was their claim in the article. You are probably correct...but possible that this was an earlier iteration? Seems that my other Rufi readings were limited in details...other than the old tale about him doing a shake out of the tank in LA and having a cop pull him over. No ticket because he didn't know how to descibe the vehicle he had pulled over. Good hot rod lore.

I prefer six to eight inline. I will let you guys debate the fine points of four in a row!

Tom

11. Tom, here is the article, Rufi bolted the carbs directly to the head from the start, he got the concept from a book at the Library.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That single carb manifold is likely to have come from Jim's Speed Shop.
    '27 Chev
    [​IMG]
    Modified
    [​IMG]

These comparison shots are from 2006
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Six Ball likes this.

12. ... ONE of these days I'll get my info correct :rolleyes:- thanks for setting it straight Jimmy:D!

13. NORSON

NORSON

I've wanted to post some pictures of some of the things i've been working on but can't seem to figure it out. I have a MAC and would tipically copy and paste or drag the picture to the document. Is there a thread for "dummies" that I could go to walk me though it. I've noticed that a number of others have had this same problem. Thanks Norm

14. dawford

dawford

Norm,

I don't have any experience with a Mac but I had a little trouble posting pictures at first so here is the way to do it, at least on a PC.

After you have posted your text page down to additional options and you should find Manage Attachments.

Click on that and it should come up with a screen that shows 7 boxes with Brouse at the end.

Click on the Brouse and it should allow you to find the pictures that you want to post.

If you have trouble this is probably where it will occure.

Double click on the picture you want to post and it should load it into the que.

After selecting the pictures you want, click on the upload button and it should upload the pictures.

Then click on the close this window at the top or bottom of the Manage Attachments window and submit your Reply.

If this dosn't work then send a request for help to the managers and they may be able to help.

I hope this helps.

:) :) :) Dick :) :) :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  15. NORSON

NORSON

Dick
    It sounds pretty straight forward. Thanks for the help. I'll try something today.
    Thanks again Norm

16. ebtm3

ebtm3

JIMMY B

I'm not interested in starting an argument, and every thing in print (including this) isn't necessarly true, but as to Rufi bolting the carbs direct to the head--look at page 133 of the article, paragraph #2 on left hand side of page, lines 10-12. You are more that likely right, because it seems to me that I have seen a pix of his engine where it has the carbs right on the head.

I think that it should also be mentioned that the photo of the '28 head shows a right hand drive exhaust manifold. The common US one has the outlet at the rear.

Herb Kephart

17. Gerber ran a pair carbs right on the head- got lots of "that'll never run right" comments, but he said that they ran just fine. Don't remember what make they were (loaned my book out), but can find out.

I wanted to run a pair of SU's direct, but there was something that got in the way. They were newer, so maybe an older pair would work?

18. ebtm3

ebtm3

Jimmy B-

A few years back I was given the names of two Aussies, who had "100 MPH" Chevy fours.
    The names and areas are-

Ray Sherwell, Brisbane Aus. and Bill Eldridge, Melbourne, Aus.

I never followed up on this because of the distance. Do you know, or know of them? I don't remember who provided the lead, but I remember them being described as "good guys" and "willing to share". If they could be contacted, I'm sure that they could add a lot of info to this forum.

Herb Kephart

19. G'day Herb, rarely I believe stuff written down that is why I look at photos and if the info matches what I see then I'll believe it. You are right in thinking you have seen pics of Rufi's car with the carbs bolted directly to the head, there is one pic in Hot Rod History Book 2 that shows the Carbs Rufi built bolted directly to the head.

Bob Giovanine also ran the carbs directly to the head. His engine was near Identical to Rufi's but there are minor things Bob Giovanine did differently.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is possibly the ultimate Chev 4
    [​IMG]

You're right Herb, sometimes I forget the US didn't have that exhaust manifold.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

20. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

21. ebtm3

ebtm3

Hey T-H, I've got one of them, but it has the VERY rare Isuzu diesel engine option.

Herb Kephart

22. T-Head!!!

Great to see you here!

23. Kume

Kume

Just incase some of you havent spotted it - check the 28 chev race engine for sale on EBay - 3 port olds head etc. Sorry not sure how to copy link across but if you search Ebay 1928 Chev you should find it - sounds like it has a bit of history

24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

25. Up to $1200- oh well...

If one of you gets it, make sure you share pics and info!!!

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Do you think $1,200 is a lot? I sold a Crager in simular shpe for $2000 to some guy who cried and whined about him and his dad building a speedster. A week later it was on EBay for $2500. I thought the Chevy would go higher than 12

Outback likes this.
  27. No, just WAY more than I have- teaching just isn't bringing in the MAJOR bucks it once did... :D

Outback likes this.
  28. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Honestly, for what's been done to the engine on Ebay, you couldn't even come close to duplicating it for the price.

29. ebtm3

ebtm3

Agreed Heathen!

Herb

30. Yup, it's got almost everything I'm looking to do and more... and if I were able to, I'd bid like a madman, but it's just not in the cards. Right now I'm hoping that my district will still "need" music teachers over the next 2 years, etc.

Not crying poor-mouth or looking for handouts, just dealing with reality and understanding my priorities and limitations (which is SO unlike me :D).

Outback likes this.