Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Chevrolet value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fyrffytr1, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Don't forget to take pics, :D

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I was thinking $500 was my price, just didn't want to show how cheap I am. As to getting it out, I would jack it up and get it out of the holes for sure before I started trying to move it. As light as that car is, a good 4x4 ATV should move it easily. I have used chains to extend my winch cable if it wasn't long enough.

You may be surprised in the wood in that car, it might work out that the top is the worst shape of all of it. It will make a different hot rod in a sea of Fords, that's for sure.

3. Glad you are going to try to save it.

4. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Thanks for the idea.

5. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I picked the car up yesterday. With the help of three friends we had it loaded on the trailer and headed to my house in less than an hour. I jacked the rear end up and put wood under the tires. While it was jacked up I tried putting air in the tires and was surprised when they held up. The same thing with the front of the car except the right front was sitting in a fire ant mound. When I put air in that tire ants went everywhere!
    After airing all fours tires we rolled the car around to the trailer and winched it on.
    After cleaning a little trash out of the car I found the floors to be in very good shape. I wish I could say that for the rest of the body.
    I hooked a six volt battery up and the headlights and cowl lights as well as the dome light worked. I then hit the starter button on the floor and the starter spun but wouldn't engage.
    Thinking I might find an old coin or something I pulled the rear seat bottom out but the only things under it were some small lizards.
    Then I pulled the front seat bottom out and there was the jack, tire tool and a few small wrenches. And, the hand crank was there as well so I decided to see if the motor would turn over. It wouldn't budge so I pulled the plugs and put a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. I let it sit almost a half hour before trying the hand crank again.At first it wouldn't move but I applied all the pressure I could muster and it moved just a little, After a few more attempts the motor turned over with less force. The more I cranked it the easier it became but it still has resistance.
    So, with all this being said are there any tips for getting the starter to engage? I am taking the car to the Perry, Ga. swap meet next weekend to try and sell it. At least that is what I am telling my wife!
    But, I already have a wild idea for this car and it involves a Pontiac slant 4 motor and possibly the transaxle drive train. Does that sound doable?
    I'll post some pictures after I edit them.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  6. Great find on the '27- if you're ditching stock parts, please let me know :)!