Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1928/29 model a roadster on 32 rails wheel wells

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dougbroom, Jul 21, 2019.

1. dougbroom

dougbroom

looking for pictures of where the frame starts to tuck up into the body . close ups and inside shots , and pictures of replacing the wheel wells in this application thanks

2. oj

oj

I think most people pinch the frame, if you are fenderless the inner fenderwell reveal is out where all can see it and builders go to great effort to keep them as stock looking as possible,

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. redoxide

redoxide
    from Scotland

Im just about to do this with my 30 coupe.. will post up some pics as I go .. hope to make a start on Monday .. perfect timing..

The 28/29 cowl is narrower than the 30/31 but from replacing the sub rails the rear end is pretty much the same width as the earlier cars..

This thread might be a big help to you : fella is just about to start the build..

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...uce-rails-can-aus-build-thread.1122528/page-2

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  4. This my '30 roadster but it should be the same as the 28/29. This is what I am working on right now. More details on build thread.

thumbnail_IMG_4850.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4878.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4825.jpg
    The front 7" and the rear 4-1/2" remain the same as original. The kick up goes in between

I modified the wheel well to follow the same flow as the frame.
    The two green lines below, the bottom ones is the top of the frame and the top one is the top of the subrail.
    thumbnail_IMG_4852.jpg

Frame tucks underneath/behind the panel in front.
    thumbnail_IMG_4859.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4860.jpg
    The panel ends straight at the back to attcjed to the rear crossmember, just as the stock one.

thumbnail_IMG_4861.jpg
    From the inside the wheel panel sits flush agains the rear subrail and the rear brace attaches to the panel, same as stock.

thumbnail_IMG_4862.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4863.jpg

clem, dwollam and redoxide like this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The side subrail looks fabricated, rather than 'rolled'...Beautiful fit there, most leave this area to 'any way they can attach it'.
    Any pics of the side subrail's beginnings? Very sharp, great fit of body to side rails.

6. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

On my 31 coupe, used Steadfast sub rail kit.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Just followed the curve of the sub rail to trim the wheel well. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

akoutlaw and Just Gary like this.
  7. dougbroom

dougbroom

thanks

Dino 64 likes this.
  8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington