Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1928-29 Model A Pickup with a Wide Bed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patmanta, Jul 23, 2019.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Would anyone happen to have any pictures of a 1928-29 Model A Pickup with a Wide Bed, or a 32-34 bed?

I would like to see what this combination looks like if possible.

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

The model A bed has more hanging off of the frame than on the frame. 32-34 beds are even longer. I dont think thats a good idea with a Model A frame

3. alchemy

alchemy

The straight sided wide bed would be almost as wide as a 28-9 body. I've never seen them together, but I think the vertical curve of the body wouldn't work well with the straight bed sides.

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, I'm not personally on a Model A frame, I have a shortened AA frame with a 112" wb and know where I can get a 34 bed but I haven't been able to get a regular A bed (to lengthen) so far.

This is why I want to see what this type of combination looks like before I spend any time or money and why I am asking here.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

could go over to the big photo shop thread here and ask them to try it there first

patmanta likes this.
  6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

The closest thing I can find is the 28/29 AA Express, which looks like the small bed, but it actually has 48" of width. The subframe lifts it up so it looks like the only thing that protrudes a little is the tops of the rails. A wide bed is, I think, 46" wide inside so MAYBE it won't be wonky but I would still like to see pictures of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stooge, OFT and cadillacoffin like this.
  7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I could sh00p it myself but getting the proportions dead on would be pretty important and I wanted to see if anyone had a picture before I went that far and especially as far as getting one and putting it on my truck.

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

OK, measurements I'm adding to the list here, still looking for pictures though!

34 bed is apparently just shy of 21" tall at the outside and about as deep inside as an A bed but about 6" wider & 15" longer with the wheel center further back.

[​IMG]

9. You could Shorten the 34 bed like a lot of guys have done.You could narrow it too.Do a google search for a 32 pickup picture.It had a full size box.Give you an idea if you like the look.

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yeah, that has been something I considered too. I've seen plenty of 31 wide bed, 32, 33, & 34 pictures. I know what the bed looks like but I still want to see what this looks like behind a 28/29 cab if someone already has a picture.

For my own purposes, Length isn't really too much of a concern since my personal truck build is actually a shortened AA with a 112" WB and 60" of frame behind the cab. A 70" bed probably won't look bad:

[​IMG]

OFT likes this.