Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928-29 ford roadster find

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kasultana, May 23, 2013.

1. kasultana

kasultana

I was lucky to find this roadster. It is the complete car including top. Going to be next project. Envisioning a traditional highboy with v8 and quick change.

Attached Files:

camcrusher likes this.
  2. Bart78

Bart78

Nice. I wish I could find a roadster. You don't see them around here. I keep waiting for someone to be different and keep the fenders.

3. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Awesome find, can't wait to watch the progress !

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks thinking bare metal car for this one. Might be interesting with fenders.

5. brady1929

brady1929

I love 28/29 roadsters

6. kasultana

kasultana

Me too I'm starting to reassemble one right now. That one you can see in my albums. This one is going to get all the speed parts I've collected in the last year. 59a motor with 3 deuces, Halibrand Torrence City QC, top loader Trans, etc.

Should be cool highboy.

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Nice find, but what's the story? How did you find the roadster?

8. kasultana

kasultana

A bit funny story. We've been working on my current project for several months. As folks have come to the shop they've been asking about it and cars/parts are starting to find me. Which is how we got a few flatheads/QC and a 1931 Victoria whole car which I'll send pics of soon. But the guy that does soda blasting for us came to do some work one day and said he knew of a car in a storage building we might like. After a month or so he asked if we'd want to see the car. Jumped in the truck and was there in 30 min. Second we saw it knew it was coming home. Car was bought from TX many years ago as a project and owner couldn't finish. It was sitting in the building for 10+ years. The pictures are ok but don't do it justice. There is original green paint on the car still in place and very little/no rust. Amazing part is all the parts are there. Top bows still have some of the material on them. Hard to believe this was 30 min away but that's how we came to own it.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Sometimes that's all it takes - someone who knows you like old cars. Glad it worked out and you were able to get the roadster.

10. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

11. bct

bct

nice find . looks like a 30/31 hood.

12. kasultana

kasultana

Disassembly started this week on the roadster. We are going for highboy AV8. I think this car is going to get all my speed part - Halibrand Torrence City QC, NOS 59a with 3 deuces and Canadian aluminum heads etc. '39 lincoln juice brakes and '39-40 3spd transmission. I'm sticking with friction shocks and just reversing the eyes on the springs with a 700-16 wire wheel in back and 600-16 in front.

Attached Files:

13. wow....cool....will follow...

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project, look forward to more photos and updates. Bob

15. Thats a great way to start a project. Cant wait to see it finished.

16. kasultana

kasultana

Forgot to ask what do you guys think paint or patina ?? I was going to put together cleaned up and oiled but as is then maybe paint later after we drive it for a while? Something like the picture in the post for inspiration.

Attached Files:

17. How good is the original paint? Either way its going to be cool. JW

18. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Either way will look great. I would probably run the patina for a while as it will get you enjoying it on the road faster.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

love it, I would run the patina

20. rld14

rld14

I'd CLR it and see what it looks like... If there's enough original paint there forgot to be halfway presentable I'd run it like that myself. 85 year old paint? Way cool!

21. kasultana

kasultana

Ok looked at for a few hours this morning. patina it is

Thanks for the input everyone appreciate it. Parts start coming next week. Tardel k-member so should make good progress mocking up the drive train.

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm sticking with friction shocks and just reversing the eyes on the springs with a 700-16 wire wheel in back and 600-16 in front.[/QUOTE]

Don't understand about "sticking with friction shocks". Unless someone has changed the origional shocks the ones on the car are hydraulic,NOT FRICTION. Model A's came stock with lever action hydraulic shocks.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. paint it. this patina thing is a passing thing.

Blue One and Spooky like this.
  24. kasultana

kasultana

True the houdaille shocks are hydraulic. I'm sticking with them. I think I'll get the car together as is and sort it out. Might paint it or let a customer make that decision. I'm building this one for the shop.

Thanks

25. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

great find!! keep us posted

26. kasultana

kasultana

Beginning chassis mock up. Tardel K member came in today. Had spring eyes reversed.

Long way to go but a start. Next week it's rear suspension and mock up of the Halibrand 201 QC and drive line.

Attached Files:

27. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Or a Briggs hood, with that reveal on it? I had one of those on my '29 for a while.

28. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Run it - Enjoy it - If you love it - Consider a cheap paint job 10 footer. I can't tell you how much time I spent on cars to make "as close to perfect" then never drove them afraid of the loose shopping cart or oversized parking stall neighbor. Reliable then pretty. I like the way it is. Will follow this one. Enjoy it! Will keep tabs on this one.. -D

29. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cool find!!! Damn that looks solid. Forget the bare metal idea, it's only a temporary solution that's meant to show off metal skills. I think the car looks good enough to run as is for a while just like Chris' brother Cory's roadster you posted up. Then once you get the bugs worked out then I would be thinking of some paint.

Oh and don't write those fenders off. Fendered roadsters rule too.

30-31 but you get the point...

[​IMG]

Spooky and kidcampbell71 like this.