Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928-29 Coupe Roof Bead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, Jan 7, 2008.

1. MBL

MBL

Howdy all. I'm thinking of picking up a 29 A Sportcoupe. I'm gonna have to put a roof on it, but wanted to know if the bead the goes between the roof panel and the top of the quarter panel is available? On the 28-29 it uses the thin bead. Has anyone here needed to replace this? Any ideas?
    Thanks for any help.
    Tim
    MBL

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Just weld it up... I know they make the T bead for some of the Model T's so they probably do.

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

why do ya have to put a roof on it?? you could make it into a nice cabriolet or put a carson type top on it. my 32 started life as a sport coupe......

they aren't really the prettiest in stock form, but they can be nice.

4. MBL

MBL

I have thought about that..but have decided that I want to have a chopped and channelled coupe. I have this whole thing built in my head.
    Tim
    MBL

5. I'm in the same boat.. it's kind of a flat half round cross section right?

6. MBL

MBL

Yes...I saw something in the Snyders catalog...made of steel and I think it may be used on Sedan bodies...but if it's the right thickness...you could probably make little cuts in it and curve it to be correct.
    Tim
    MBL

7. MBL

MBL

You know I have been thinking more..and perhaps the "T" molding that goes between the quarter panel and the deck lid on a 1926-27 T roadster will work. they sell those at Snyders for like 42 bucks. I'll have to do some measuring but this may just work.
    Tim
    MBL

8. that T molding is only about 1/2" wide....i think the one you are talking about is about 1"??

9. alchemy

alchemy

No, the 28 coupe molding is only 3/8" wide or so. And I think maybe the repros are aluminum? Douple check before you buy. The coupe and sedan bead molding is the same, just formed to a different radius.

10. MBL

MBL

I thought is was a bit wider than 1/2"...Hmmm? I'll have to look at my 26 roadster and see.
    Tim
    MBL

11. MBL

MBL

The molding I am talking about is horozontal and runs along the base of the roof...The 3/8" stuff is vertical.
    Tim
    MBL

12. alchemy

alchemy

Oh. I think that horizontal molding is not reproed, and you will have to find an original, which is pretty scarce. They are a tin cap which snaps over a nailed-on base, and are hard to remove/install. That's if you can find one that isn't rusted out.

Might be easier to fab a new molding from half-roundish steel and weld in place?

13. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

In the past Snyders have listed the two piece belt moulding that fits both a sport and special coupe, but I'm damned if I can find it on their website right now. The first piece is tacked to the belt rail and the second piece should fit over the top. Beware though, it is a very unfinished piece and needs a lot of work to make good, both shape and finish. I opted not to use the one I ordered and sourced an alternative aluminum moulding that was shaped to fit. The only real visual difference between mine and the original is that I have a few screwheads showing, nothing that distracts from the finish of the car though. I haven't got a decent close up unfortunately, this is the best I can do.

[​IMG]