Register now to get rid of these ads!

1927 Roadster truck 390FE or Buick V6 HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Fabricator, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

The motor I have came out of a low mileage 63 bird so it is all stock. So if I replace the carb with a smaller one and electronic ignition I should be good. Was thinking about getting an aluminum intake to get rid of the iron anchor. Most likely a small runner intake from edelbrock.

2. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

Aluminum intake will help with fuel and weight. My son wants a T-bucket and I'm thinking of pulling the 390 and cruise-o-matic and letting him use it. I wouldn't mind a built 428 in the Bird.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

[​IMG]

I drove the crap out of my T with a Buick V6 for 8 years straight

4. flopalotofit

flopalotofit

Buy a Honda for your daily....screw mpg in the rod....cubic inches= what you feel in the seat of your pants !

5. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Oh yeah, Stock firewall & gas tank.

6. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

^^ I've always secretly admired that Hotrod.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I know someone that gets 17mpg in her 68 Ltd in the city. You'll be fine with the FE.

8. refried confusion

refried confusion

xxx

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  9. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

The 390 GT heads in 66 are a much better high velocity design, more efficient if MPG counts.

10. mattrod68

mattrod68

if the differance in mileage is really 10 mpg (25 or 15) than its only gonna cost you about 100 dollars more per month @4.00/gallon. is that really worth having a v6 in your rod? an inline six would be cool but im an fe man.

these calculations are driving 30 miles a day, day in day out.

matt

11. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

I have a motorcycle for that! But I want to drive this Hot rod more then once a week! So yes, I should probably suck it up and go for the FE.

12. Anarchy

Anarchy
    from Idaho

Borg Warner T10(3spd) with R11 O.D. gives you 5 forward gears if wired correctly, Ford used them for years in some very high torque applications. You can can get rear sump oil pan and pickup(dipstick) from mid 70's FE four wheel drives... I have the pan and pickup if you need them. Actually I have almost all of it....

13. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

I agree...don't understand for how many motors were put into fords why these engines are so exspensive to build. Running over to my buddies place after work today to dig through his FE graveyard and see what parts he has.

14. do not under carburate that FE motor - the Mileage will be WORSE! Let me explain, as you go smaller on the carb size you have to open the butterflies further to get the same acceleration or even cruise speed. This can cause the intake velocity to go higher which means you are now going to suck more fuel through the jets richening the mixture when you don't need it.
    On the 416" FE in my 75 F-150 I was running an Edelbrock 600. I could never get the jetting quite right and finally one of the Edelbrock Techs suggested that I go to a 750. Not only does the thing run better, but it went from 11-13 MPG to around 15

15. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

Just got that same answer from another guy!