Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1927 model T modified - leaned windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kram, Oct 14, 2011.

1. kram

kram

Well I think it's a good time to start a build thread as it should help me to keep motivated. I've had my fair share of old cars (mostly 60's) but this is my first hot rod. I've been so excited about it that I haven't had a good sleep for a few months :).

I started collecting parts and got a good deal on a model a tudor. After I got it I started realizing it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Luckily it was exactly what my best friend wanted.
    Here's the model a
    DSC07827.JPG

What I really wanted was a roadster and was leaning towards doing a modified style build. I found a nice 26-27 tub and got it for a song. It came with a super nice driver door and the body is in pretty good shape. There's some bondo and will need a few patches but over all pretty good. I also just got a pretty nice passenger door.
    3-1-2.JPG 4-1-2.JPG

Some of the other parts I have picked up are a nice 30-31 model a frame. Thanks Brent!
    DSC07824.JPG

My wife surprised me with these '35 wire wheels, and she also got me a narrow 9" that came from a earl bronco for my birthday.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Greenblade and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. kram

kram

So far the best part of this is how many really cool people I have met. One of the cars that I am kind of basing my car off is this Dave Gadberry build T.
    t15-2.JPG

Gas Pumper is the current owner. Gas pumper has been extremely generous is answering my questions and helping with measurements and problems. Thanks Frank!

I wasn't having very good luck finding parts locally. It seemed like when I went to the junkyard they would have what I wanted but were never willing to sell it. I don't quite understand that mentality but not much you can do about it. I found a really cool guy (Don) who was selling a 1952 F1. It was rusting out pretty good and at one point someone had started chopping it but had given up. He really gave me a good deal and I pulled a bunch of parts off it. I got the complete front brakes, super smooth steering box and column, front shock mounts, dash instruments, and all four 16" steel wheels.

I also got a dropped 'a' axle from Joe's Speed Shop. I highly recommend him and he was super friendly, plus he had it shipped to my door in 3 days! With those parts I figured might as well start to see what I have.

modelt1.JPG modelt2-2.JPG

So right now I am cleaning up the frame. I swear for every year that frame is old somebody welded on some sort of crappy bracket. I've almost got the rails ready to start boxing the frame, and figuring out actual ride height. I took the main front and back springs to a local spring shop to have them make new ones with reversed eyes. I also had them shorten the rear spring a couple inches because the rear axle is too narrow to get the recommended distance for an a spring.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. super cool ...subscribed!

4. Cool. That looks like a pretty solid body. Best of luck!

5. evintho

evintho

I'm followin' this one!

6. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Off to a great start!

7. casper

casper

I think you have the mock up looking really good. Looks like a great start to a neat little modified. What are you planning on running for the motor/ trans combo?

8. kram

kram

Thanks for all the compliments.

Casper- Funny that you should ask about the motor because I just got a great deal today. This build is on a tight budget so the motor is sort of what ever I can find cheap. I found a 302 for a great deal. It's running good and the compression check was perfect. It has a brand new edelbrock intake and edelbrock performer carb. I got the whole engine and transmission for less than you would pay for the carb. I will sell the transmission off because it is for a 4x4. I would like to find a T5 but a c4 or something similar will work too. It's not the most traditional motor out there but I'm kind of glad to be putting a Ford back in a Ford.

53 effie and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a good start. I've got a pile that could be turned into a modified much like yours. Due to circumstances beyond my control it sits along with a few other projects. I'll keep track of your progress and maybe some of your enthusiasm will rub off on me.

Frank

10. kram

kram

Went and picked up the motor. It has a few things to change like the serpentine set up. I also need to find a different transmission but it's nice to have a motor to work with.

DSC08999.JPG
    [​IMG]

11. your build looks great! I love modifieds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. gas pumper

gas pumper

302's are great. It's a perfect mate to a T-5. Looking good.

13. ukgav

ukgav

14. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

Another nice modified build!! Building one myself. 302 and c4 of course. Steel body.
    Spring over a '41 I-beam. A bones, 9", etc.

15. kram

kram

I had a big project come up and yesterday was my first day off in the last month and a half. So finally I was able to get a bit of work done on the t. Since I didn't have any time to work on it so I collected parts as I could and got my frame sandblasted.
    photo.JPG

Before I started on boxing the frame I needed to get all the holes filled, and a stock model a frame has a ton of them.
    frameholes.JPG

Kind of hard to tell from the picture but I got all of holes filled and all of the welds ground down smooth. At least it doesn't look like swiss cheese anymore.:D
    framefilled.JPG

Hopefully in the next couple days I can get the time to get the frame plates cut out and get it all boxed in.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Going to keep my eye on this one. I've had the makings for a modified for some time and just need some motivation to get in gear and make it happen. Mine, like yours, will be based on '27T sheet metal. I've been entertaining the idea of narrowing the basic body and doing a "one man" configuration. Time will tell.:rolleyes:

Frank

17. Great start to a fun looking project.

There was a guy on the HAMB recently that built a three-two manifold on the cheap... using a fuel injection manifold and some aluminum. It would be a pretty cool deal on your car.

Sam

18. I think modifeds rule! Looks like a good start, now lets git-r-done.

19. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

looks like a fun and awesome build keep at it

20. tjm73

tjm73

Anymore pics or details of this one?

21. oj

oj

I am in the middle of a modified build myself - you've got a great looking little tub there btw - and one of the most important things is the seating. You need to sit in it not on it. And that is the hard part of building one, i have about a 1 1/2" channel on mine and the seat pocket is below the top of the frame rail.
    Heres' the problem, when seated in a comfy position your head will be 34-35" above your wallet (ass), the tub with a 6"ish windshield will be about 31-32" tall - in brief your head is above the windshield. You take it from there.
    I'll enjoy your build, oj....get rid of the 302, you can do better and have plenty of time.

22. kram

kram

tjm73- The person who currently owns that car is gas pumper (he posted earlier in the thread) There are some more pictures in his photo album.

oj- I am planning on doing a suspension seat to try and make it as comfortable as possible with the thinnest amount of padding. I'm not going for the totally chopped windshield either. I think when you use just the lower stock windshield frame your have about 5" of windshield. I'll probably add about 3-4" to that. I have mocked it up and I should be sitting in low enough and have enough windshield to clear my head. If I still feel that I am sitting too high I can cut down or remove the stock seating pan.

23. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Dave Gadberry and I worked together in the same department a few years ago. Dave is working on another project. I am building something similar to what he had.

Frenchy

24. Gadman

Gadman

Attached Files:

25. tjm73

tjm73

100% agree! If that truck engine does not have a roller cam inside it, you can add it pretty cheap. If you want more info let me know. I'll give you the part numbers.

Also if you are putting a T5 behind it and it's going in that T I'd say add a Ford B303 camshaft (roller cam). They sound awesome and make decent power.

I have an O.T. 5.0 convertible Mustang that went 13.78 at 100 with only a B303, 1.72:1 roller rockers, shorty headers and 3.73 gears in the axle. 2.10ish 60' times and the car weighed 3600 lbs with me in it. Drop at least 1000lbs and put essentially that engine in a T and it would be riot that runs on the cheap 87 pump gas (which is what I run in the O.T. car).

26. Gadman

Gadman

Can't wait to see more progress on this!

I'm 6' 1" ..... Sitting down in these is tough.....that's part of the reason I did NOT channel the body. When I built it I wanted to see the frame, I wanted my knees inside, and I wanted my eyes just below the top of the windshield. And I slouch. When I let it go the windshield was 2" higher, the steering column was about 10" shorter, and it had an auto.....because it was so cramped. How I would like to drive that car today with three pedals!!!!

I recommend figuring out seating before (if) you kick up the frame.....I always wished I had trimmed it for more legroom.

27. kram

kram

Hey Gadman, good to see you on here. Thanks for posting up the picture too. I'm 6'2" and that is pretty much the same reason why I didn't channel it. I've tested out the seating and I think it will be good. If all else fails I can trim down or remove the seat riser.

Tjm73- My motor will probably stay mostly stock for a while, but that would be great if you could get me the part numbers.

Not much to show on the t but over the last couple days I have spent some time with a grinder and got all the boxing plates cut out. I hope to get the frame all boxed this weekend. On another note I did get my title and I am super relieved about that because I didn't have one. I'll post pictures up once I get the frame boxed.

28. tjm73

tjm73

What year truck did the engine come out of? Did you add the intake and carb? Did you see this under the intake? (the thing in the lifter valley) If so, you got a roller cam already.

[​IMG]

If you didn't add the intake, you can pull a valve cover and measure one of the push rods. If it measures about 6.25", you have a roller cam engine. Anything longer on an engine with stock iron heads is not a roller cam.

Roller Cam Conversion Part Numbers:

M-6250-B303 Camshaft or M-6250-X303 (same timing events, .480" lift/.542" lift respectively)
    M-6253-R50 Roller Conversion Kit (spider and lifter H-bars)
    M-6253-R302 OE Roller Lifters
    M-6269-A351 Steel Camshaft Thrust Plate

Jeg's sells this as a kit. It's about $370-400 and it's just the sum total of Ford'd MSRP pricing. I think you could piece it together elsewhere for less though shipping from several places may render the savings moot.

You will also need appropriate length push rods and a steel distributor gear for your distributor. They come in several shaft sizes so choose accordingly. Roller cams are cut from steel and any distributor can work with a roller cam but ALWAYS run a steel gear. Bronze will work but it will wear out, just not as fast as a cast gear.

If you want to run a mechanical fuel pump, Ford has you covered there too. You will need a M-6287-B302 fuel pump eccentric.

Finally time it with a good double roller timing set. I'm a big believer that Ford's quality standards are exceptionally high, so I'd run a M-6268-B302 timing chain.

Roller rockers are a proven 10-15 hp addition on these 5.0/302's. You may want to consider them as well.

You may also want to add a M-6605-B302 Heavy Duty Oil Pump Drive Shaft. Stock ones have been known to break when run hard.

Mix well and run hard. :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  29. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

Nice project. Looks just like my body. I'll be running a 302 and c4. Searched and decided on a sbf. Narrow, light weight, dizzy in the front and parts easy to get. A no brainer!!!
    I too will be up there catching bugs over the windshield. I ain't tiny either.
    6' 4" and 300 lbs.
    Going buggy sprung front and back. Got a long way to go. Got lots of time!
    Here's a pic of the body and one of me and the wife dreamin'. Well maybe just me!!
    I'll be watching your progress.

Attached Files:

30. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france