Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1927 Chevrolet Speedster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Haase, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

HELL NO! I wanted to be a part of something real. :D I'm happy you are finding the pieces you need. I just added the cross member to stuff I was doing anyway and was feeling bad because it was taking me so long. It's here if you need it.

2. Haase

Haase

You're a good sport, thank you.

48fordnut likes this.
  3. Haase

Haase

I've been fooling around with getting the running board brackets and rear cross member off of the '28 frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've started to mock-up the '26 replacement cross member. It's not a perfect fit, but I think I can get it to fit better. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for installing rivets?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been looking for a '28 cylinder head to use with the project, but haven't had much luck. While I was moving some stuff over the weekend at my storage spot, I discovered one! I knew I had this spare engine, but forgot that it had a '28 head on it. I wish it was in better shape though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to setup an electrolysis tank to clean some parts. This cylinder head will be in the first batch. Hopefully it comes out okay.

TFoch, Six Ball and 48fordnut like this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It will be interesting to see how the head cleans up. They show up in eBay from time to time.

5. Haase,

If you're head is beyond saving, I have a spare that I could sell, and a buddy heading to Ohio in December :D

Six Ball likes this.
  6. Haase

Haase

I appreciate that. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

7. Haase

Haase

Wow. I can’t believe I haven’t posted for over two months… I’ve been busy with work, younger cars, the prospect of buying another house… Anyway.

Because the replacement ‘26 rear crossmember on this ‘28 frame is a little different, I welded up the original rivet holes and made new ones. I originally wanted to hot rivet the piece in place, but after doing a few tests with some scrap metal, I was not able to set a rivet that I was happy with. Grade 8 hardware with Loctite it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted a couple auxiliary tubular crossmembers to tie the rails together. My dad has a machinist friend who made these up for me. I think we traded for a couple BBQ briskets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When my dad and I cleared out that barn of parts where I got this chassis, we found a bucket of early canvas strap Delco lever shocks. To my amazement, they bolted on! I know these were available as accessories back in the day, but I’ve never seen a set on a 4 cylinder Chevy. Has anyone else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My next big task is to modify the front crossmember. I want to lower the front radiator about 3”. I should only have to do minor trimming to get it to fit. I think I may use a piece of angle iron to make the replacement lower mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great progress! Do you think the bolts are adequate for the crossmembers? I plan to bolt as you did but will probably weld in not really noticeable places. I just worry about the bolts not filling the holes s well as a hot rivet. I like the shocks! Are they single or double action? I plan on using some single actions from a '49 pickup. Man, I was just admiring the front crossmember but the radiator shell looks better. Are you going to channel the body?

9. Haase

Haase

They should be fine. They're grade 8 and the holes were drilled for them, so they fit snugly. I really wanted to use rivets, but I'm just not certain that we could do it easily or effectively. The additional crossmember should help hold things together if anything moves.

The shocks appear to be single-action. I haven't done a ton of research on them yet, but they are Delcos and there aren't any viable casting numbers. From what I have read, the early strap Delcos did not have ID numbers and were mostly made pre-1930.

It pains me to cut the factory crossmember, but it needs to be done to get everything low. I only have a cowl/firewall section, but a channeled body is what I'm planning.

I'm using this for inspiration:
    [​IMG]

10. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

A friend in my car club has 27-28 Chevy Speedster that is very similar to the picture you posted as your inspiration. I believe the original builder used an Oldsmobile head. The car was built many years ago and is still street legal. You should check out the North West Vintage Speedsters. https://www.nwvs.org/

Six Ball likes this.
  11. Haase, where did yo find that pic? Would love to see more pics of that build, because THAT is just about what I've had bouncing around my empty head for at least a dozen years now!!!

Six Ball likes this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That might even inspire me!
    The single action shocks move freely in one direction (up) with resistance the other way (down). It was thought that the spring resisted on the way up and the shock slowed rebound to limit the the spring.

13. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

The picture is on the VCCA speedster chapter sight. There are several views.

Jet96, Six Ball and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Cool- thanks, Grump!

15. Haase

Haase

I'm not sure if this is the same car. The VCCA Speedster Club has this posted on their site with the name of D. Perry from Australia. See here: http://vcca-speedsters.org/MembersCars/OurCars.htm

Here is a gallery of pictures. It definitely has a Chevrolet 4 in it, but I think this car has one of the super rare overhead cam heads on it. I'd love to know more about this car. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=SlVKY01TMHdGZGlNemRsVThSVlRrekhoa2dSTzl3

Six Ball likes this.
  16. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

You're doing a good thing. Being from a car family, we always talked up our rides. While Mom had many she was always happy to speak about her '27 Chevy coupe. It was a low flyer due to the work she did on it.

17. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Haase The "Perry" car has a "Roof" head with an overhead cam in the motor pictures. Sense I have never seen a "Roof" overhead cam, I cannot say wheather this is a "Roof" design or an add on by others. In one of the car pictures, you can see that they have taken the overhead cam off. (at least took off the front drive) They have also tilted the crankcase breather out to get a starter in (under the red rage).
    Looks like this engine could tell us some great stories!!!! Double deep pan, pressure fed mains, cross drive for mag and ?, no starter/push start, "Roof " head, overhead cam, and what else????? I would love to see inside this engine!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Six Ball likes this.
  18. Very interesting! Funny, I was talking with a friend about the limitations of the early Chevy cam, and posed the idea of a two piece camshaft (put in from front and rear/connect in the center), along the lines of the porsche 547 multi -piece crankshaft, and he said, "Why not just make an OHC adapter for the head... :D

Six Ball likes this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Nice pictures, Thanks! I'd like see better pictures of the front axle mount and how the steering works out.

20. Haase

Haase

I am now 100% committed to lowering the radiator 3". Ha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I trimmed the forward-facing portion of the cross member to make it flat and nibbled room for the lower neck. I dropped an engine in to double check the water neck positions before I started cutting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am using a piece of angle iron for just mock up. I think a sectioned piece of 4x4 box tubing will do nicely. I need to run down to the metal supplier to see what they have.

[​IMG]

John Griffioen, Jeff34 and Kume like this.