Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1926 Buick BARN-FIND

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goda0301, Feb 11, 2014.

1. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Get it running and driving if possible and have some fun with it before you tear into it. The little bit of on the road fun you had will linger on as you hot rod it.

2. goda0301

goda0301

Im not sure if I have the heart to chop it at this point either...

I think God wants me to just get it running and drive it. The tires are still holding air as of this afternoon!!! Which is shocking since I had to jack each wheel up to get it rolling. The bobcat was used to remove the frozen tundra ground from in front of the doors. This car wanted a new home but that old shed didn't want to give her up. The guy wanted 2k I offered $1500.00 he countered at $1700.00 and we split it in the middle and settled at $1,600.00 cash money. The guy has money and would of never sold the car if i wouldnt of asked that day I was working at his house. I'm pretty sure he doubled his money on it.

Here's a pic of the tag on the fire wall and some more shots inside this rig.

[​IMG]

some tools laying in the back seat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old Home
    [​IMG]

New home with new friends ;)

[​IMG]

3. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

SWEET SWEET SWEET! Do as you wish it's your call and your car! No matter the outcome keep us posted! Enquiring minds want to know!

4. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell of a good score there... U dont see them everday.....

5. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Nice find. Have fun with it. CTJ

6. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

The ash insert also looks like a 1928. I think the same "Goddess" head rad cap was used from 1926 to 1928.

If it still has the Harrison radiator...it should also have a data tag on it...If I remember, the first two numbers were the year.

There should be an aluminum VIN tag riveted to on the frame, towards the front on the drivers side. If it's still there, that will correctly date the car.

Again nice find...your car, but I think I'd keep it original and drive it!

7. camerl2009

camerl2009

what ever you do just don't make it look like the car next to it in the last pic :eek:

8. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

Nice car you should do what you want to with it....I vote for chopping it and making it a hotrod!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Wow that's a solid car, well done..

10. Nice score !!
    Personally I'd not chop it......roll the drive line out of it and save in case you want to go back with it......put a nice set of rails with late model brakes...engine...tranny....rear end....
    restore the interior sorta original since you have the seats....leave the patina.

Steel Wheel car with fenders would be kool !!!

Have fun with it !!!

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice find.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks for the great story and nice photos. I know what'd I'd do but it's yours to play with.
    We're supposed to be here to cut up cars and make them faster, cooler, and safer. But sometimes we need to think about how rare some cars really are.

13. fortynut

fortynut

If I found a Rembrandt, I wouldn't scrape down the canvas and drip paint on it just because I wanted something that looked like a Jackson Pollock. Rare things from the past have value only if they exhibit the same qualities that made them desirable when they were freshly minted. This is what I would trade on. Old furniture looses value when refinished; I would think long and hard about what fortune and luck have bestowed, and then I would turn a true barn find into something I really wanted.

14. [​IMG]
    This 5w started out as a super solid, driving survivor. We drove it to lunch the day before we dismantled it for re-construction. Most said it was to nice to rod, what a bunch of bs that statement is. Whats more fun driving in the slow lane. putt putting around or laying rubber scaring the neighbors having a blast.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Neat story, the car has very nice proportions. I think if I were to change anything, I'd get one of those twin carb straight 8's from a 41 Buick and swap out the wheels/brakes/suspension accordingly. A set of General Jumbo wheels or some other large artillery wheel would look period without having to run on wood. Or, just tool around in it all stock, cleaned up with a new top insert and upholstery.

16. fortynut

fortynut

I agree 'nothing is too nice to rod'. That said, I think cutting up a rare car that would be more valuable to posterity restored should be part of the equation in how it is dealt with by the owner. Most Early Fords can be had, reproduced in virgin metal from about every year that make desirable hot rods. Thus a '32 Ford Coupe is more abundant than any year early Buick. If children in the future are going to have any idea of what the past was like, there should be a few trees left standing, as well as a handful of old cars that haven't been 'hot rodded'. I know this is heresy to say, but it is true; and I know I won't win any popularity contests by saying it. But, somebody does. We need to save a few old cars in the condition they were found in, or restored to what they were like 'back when'. The same goes for representative vehicles from our passion, which is why I am looking at stuff in the 'traditional section'. Not all of us think it should have a small block Chevy and drive at Freeway speeds. Old is good, even with hot rods.

17. luke13

luke13

did you inquire about the cool old pedal tractor and what looks like a 1973 honda cb 350 twin? that vintage jap tin is gettin quiet collectable too.

18. we will just have to agree to disagree fortynut. if maybe it was some one off coach built car, then yes but not cars built for the masses. Museums are for preservation and education. The older I get the more I care less for restored cars. Would not like to see the car rat roded but a well planned, built, quality hot rod is a lot better than some old restored boring stocker. Just my worthless opinion.

19. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

What he said. You could get a good profit selling it as is to a Buick man that will restore it.

Jim: Phish doesn't suck, they're dead too!

20. texasoldcarguy

texasoldcarguy

Fortynut:
    Amen to that - knowing everyone on this forum is here for a reason . . . most of you like modified cars, I am committing heresy to say it but that car is too rare to cut up. I have a 1922 Buick Roadster which they only made 7,600 of 92 years ago and according to the Buick Club of America there are only three left of my body style. I'm restoring it back to original. There are plenty of rusted out bodies lying out in fields or in barns that can be rat-rodded. Think of the millions of Fords produced back in the day that are still out there waiting to be found. This one is complete and should be preserved. Sell it to a restorer who is interested in a complete car and use the money to either buy a body that you can rod with a new chassis, hot engine, etc.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Fred

21. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

On this site???? The Virgin Mary would end up in a Poodle skirt and Bobbi sox!!!

22. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

That was worth the laugh! thanks.

23. 327Eric

327Eric

They arent''t high dollar cars, I can buy a running driving '.31 for less than a Model A, I keep trying to get my friend to up the price, but the Buick Club guys say it isn't worth much.
    Nice find though. Here is my 31, barn stored since 1958, unknown since before the, 17 k on the clock(after the family pulled it out to sell)[​IMG]

24. 6-71

6-71

It's your car,build it as you want,Just don't make a "DEATHTRAP" out of it. By the way that motorcycle says Yamaha on the seat.It's not a Honda as someone posted.

25. toml24

toml24

Please do not chop it. Restore yes but please keep the original style.

26. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Back in my less traditional days I built this one, all the paint is original expect the fenders.
    [​IMG]

27. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car! And looks like you´ve got the snow we ought to have, hahahaha But I´m fair, you can keep it.
    I´d redo the interior , make it roadworthy and save her like she is... but maybe I´m not a real Hot Rodder:) it´s yours, so do what you want:)