Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1926 Buick BARN-FIND

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goda0301, Feb 11, 2014.

1. goda0301

goda0301

I thought I would share some info about the 1926 Buick I got home today 2-11-14. I did some work on this guys house outside the small town of Isanti, MN (45 miles north of Minneapolis)last May. I noticed he had a couple of restored cars sitting in the shed and I always ask homeowners if they have anything with 2 or 4 wheels sitting out in the woods and he told me about this beauty. Details about the car. Claims he was the 3rd original owner and that its the original paint. He bought it about 20 years ago 9 miles away at an auction. It was driven into this shed 9 years ago where it has been sitting ever since. Now the sad part... He claims the cars interior was near perfect until the roof on this shed went to hell and the years of snow and rain gutted the inside. We talked briefly about what he wanted for the car when I was working at his house but I didn't give it much thought since I have so many other projects so I just blew it off. But for some reason I got the itch last week about it and called him up and it was still for sale for... and $1,600 cash and 2.5 hours later it was on its way back with me. With a Clear title in hand. Now the only issue I have to keep it original or chop it down??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. purple

purple

what a great car to start with

3. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

It could be a cool hot rod with a nice mild chop.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool, in more ways than one. already got big wheels, just bag it - Ha!

5. blue57ford

blue57ford

Chop it, keep the fenders on it, stick a bad nailhead in it.

6. purple

purple

I know its a typo, but that would be funny, instead of chopping it just tell everyone to picture it in their heads

7. Nice car.... A perfect candidate for a resto-rod. These are just too 'stately' to look right chopped down too far. Full trim/fenders, lowered to the max, and a 3" max chop and this would be sweet....

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

there is a 26 in a barn way up north in Arkansas. He got it at an auction for $100 and pulled it into the barn and after all these years its still sitting on the trailer, which has 4 flat tires, He wont sell it or even take it off the trailer.

9. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I think that is a 1928. 26 and 27 had flat backs for the headlights, not pointed. I have a 1928 Buick and that looks like mine except mine is a 4 door. Good score, the radiator cap is worth about $300-$400.

10. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

my 1928 Buick

Attached Files:

11. luke13

luke13

she's a gem! great find.

12. Cool score and thanks for showing the barn too. JW

13. luke13

luke13

what was the little excavator for, and did you grab the old tractor seat too?

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

The tail light is really cool.

15. camerl2009

camerl2009

very nice can't be all that common

16. Jimv

Jimv

Car is too nice & rare to chop up. Get it back into decent shape & driveable.Have fun with it & sell it for a nice profit.
    Some cars just shouldn't be chopped up.
    JimV

17. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Nice find...I had a '27 115 Series Tudor years ago.

Are you sure it's a '26...the headlamps and visor look like '28 parts. Check the data tag on the firewall.

18. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Rad cap is '26.
    I'd clean it and drive it as is or as close as possible.

My .02

19. jesse1980

jesse1980

Great car, and awesome that you took pictures of it in its resting place. I love these kind of threads.

20. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Does everything need to be modified??? That one is to complete. Great Find!!!

21. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a survivor . Clean it up and drive it. update the brakes and drive line for safety.

22. Firecat7

Firecat7

she all wood based....check out the sills, then make a plan. looks to be one hell of a score. 1600? and you don't feel guilty?......kool patina too. spend a week n fire her up. may be a kewl kar as is. shes all wood , and old wood cars bring on future wood problems......have fun:D

23. Bluedot

Bluedot

Years ago, I found a 1930 Willys mordor in similar condition. What I did with it is also my vote for this car. I made no sheetmetal changes - only modern drivetrain and A/C. Went to great pains to make changes reversible so that the car could be restored to original if ever someone wanted to. That meant drilling very few new holes, and welding nothing.
    While I am a believer in the adage, "Anyone can restore a car - it takes a real man to cut one up," I would not have the heart to cut on one this rare and nice.
    That said, it is your car and your choice. Be safe and have fun are the only two mandatory requirements IMHO.

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great save. A few more years of being snowed and rained on and it wouldn't look so good-especially when that roof finally gives out and caves in.

It's a clean survivor and would be a great start for a resto for someone. Unless you're into resto-rods, I'd get it running/driving, clean it up and flip it. Then go buy a Hot Rod project.

25. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

My favorite kind of thread! That's a great find!

26. Wood framed cars aren't worth the trouble to chop in my opinion. Trade it for a Ford if you want to lower the lid on one. Get it in good mechanical shape and fix the top and interior and you will get all of the attention at the shows just the way she looks now.

27. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

That is a nice Buick I've been hunting for one in that time period I would be interested in buying it off of you so you can go and buy something else to chop I wouldn't do anything to it fix what needs to be fixed and drive it like it is very cool car, I can never get that lucky to find something like this, I know I'm not in the best state or barn finds but I always ask people you never know you would be surprised what you will find a friend of mine was offered $50.00 to clean a garage out for an older guy he found a 426 hemi sitting in a corner guy said take it to the scrap yard and make a few bucks extra , my friend payed him for the motor and cleaned the rest of the garage out for free , well good luck with it

28. ....perfect size car for me! great score

29. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was a find! Thanks for posting the pics and the price, so we can "share" in your good fortune.

30. robertsregal

robertsregal

Great find and a cool story, get it running and see where it take you.