Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1923 Model T Roadster Build - Spring&Axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SUICIDE 35, Jan 19, 2018.

1. SUICIDE 35

SUICIDE 35
    from So Cal

Hello,
    I'm in the process of building a '23 Model T Roadster and need some help setting up the spring and axle. I decided not to go with the suicide front end so the spring will set under the cross member. I have a dropped 46-48 axle with standard spring perch 3/4" eye, leaf spring shackles are 2 1/4" and a stock Model A spring. I ran into trouble when I tried to line up the shackles to the spring perch. The shackles seemed to be about an inch too short and could not connect them to the spring perch. Suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Going out on a limb here. Pictures would help, but my the front spring is 1 3/4" wide, rear is 2 1/4". Or are you saying you have to stretch the spring to shackle it up to the perch? If that's the case, put a piece of 2x4 under the spring eye next to the perch and jack up under the axle. If you have enough weight on the frame, the spring will slide along the 2x4 until you can slide the shackle through the eye and perch. put the plate on the threaded side before you release the jack.

3. An A spring is way too narrow for '42-'48 axle.

You will need to buy or have a special width spring made.

Posies has one for '37-'41 axles; maybe they have one for your axle.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

Posies spring #1025 is the one you need I believe. It can be ordered in standard or reverse eye and will be the right length for that axle if you're doing a spring over setup.