Register now to get rid of these ads!

1923 graham pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by austinhunt, Dec 9, 2011.

1. austinhunt

austinhunt

I'm on the edge of town so just 5 or 6 miles. Small town here, you can get anywhere in fairbanks/North Pole in about 20 minutes at 55mph haha.
    Tell him Thanks for serving our country.

2. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

I will, thanks Scott

3. austinhunt

austinhunt

While painting last night I noticed how well Alasan houses are sealed to outside air.
    Honestly I was kinda worried that when the boiler kicked on I was going to have my own
    private combustion chamber...

Here are the results. Mind you, the cast iron look is what I want, without the rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. austinhunt

austinhunt

I had to give myself some motivation so I balanced the hood and rad cover in position.

[​IMG]

I also made this little tool cart because I always end up in the floor with everything but the wrench I need.... Its a block of zebra wood on skateboard wheels, with ford 302 pushrods cut in half and jammed in.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. I am diggin the cast look !

6. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

7. 60 ford

60 ford

Awesome build , great work.

8. austinhunt

austinhunt

Ya after the wire wheel I was wishis for a miracle clear coat so I could see the bare metal but that's a definite no-go so I did the next best thing.

Haha lightning bolts are not on the check list. As for the acorn, Dad isn't a car guy. He's more of the pilot type, which was pretty cool as a kid, flyin' a Cessna 170 before I could drive. Also I'm following in his engineering footsteps. I think he is just happy I'm not a video-gamer or gangster weenee.

9. austinhunt

austinhunt

My little addition to tech week for those of us without sand blasters. If its round, stick it in the drill press. The poor man's lathe/sander/turning center

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mogara

mogara

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now. I'm building a Graham also. I think mines a '27 but I'm not really sure. It's chopped 6" on a home made frame. 1956 Chevy 235 6 cylinder for power. Here's a pic in my dirty garage.

Attached Files:

11. austinhunt

austinhunt

Well that will guve a guy some motivation! That looks great, neat pipes too.

I can help you identify the year if you have any numbers on the car. pm me with any info.

Looks like I will be chopping about 6 inches off the top boys. hahaha

12. austinhunt

austinhunt

The rating on this thread went down considerably. Looks like some people think I suck. Oh well! Its not the most expensive build, but it's what I can do with limited money, tools, and no help.

Here are my pulleys from a '69 289.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. austinhunt

austinhunt

I guess this really isn't a traditional build with the sum of all my parts..
    and really doesn't belong here on the hamb so I'll post a link to photobucket if anyone wants to see all the pics.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like it fits here to me. if it didn't belong you would have known it by now

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

What's not traditional about it? I think it fits in just fine..

Don't get antsy because no one comments on your build. Just keep posting. There are actually people who like watching these builds progress along. I see nothing here I wouldn't use.. Well, aside from the Ford motor. :D

Plus I hadn't heard of Graham before seeing this. Pretty cool.

16. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Looks sweet dude. should have a pretty good stance with the lick in the front of the frame. keep at it your winning.

17. SvenOla

SvenOla
    from Sweden

Love the cast iron paint ...... but what's up with the yellow engine ? please make it gold instead .....

18. RDR

RDR

keep up the good work Austin.....lots of eyes watching what you're up to with over 5,000 hits...
    I'd like to suggest that you check out the 'American Truck Historical Society' (ATHS) site. They have a magazine (Wheels of Time) that has classifieds for vintage trucks and parts...you should advertise the leftover parts there to help finance your project...

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Thats awesome..
    and Im diggin the skate board tool caddy..very cool idea, shows your thinkin'

Out side of the box truck build..I like it

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think it fits..and thats all that matters!

to me:D

21. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Born and raised Alaskan.

I lived in Houston TX. Im going to the LSRU and will never miss it again.......

And Would move back in a heart beat, but the my fam and the inlaws live here.

OH well, If you're ever in Anchorage let me know. Sweet ride you're building. If you dont mind what did coker charge you for shipping? Im getting rubber soon.

22. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

I've been following your thread since you started it.....Keep up the good work man. Graham's interest me quite a bit since the Graham family lives here in my hometown.

23. austinhunt

austinhunt

Thanks for all the compliments! They are appreciated.

Let me say I am not the internet blogger/facebook type and I'm not fishin for attention but it is always nice to hear the "ya dunn alright" like the old man says.

I feel a little guilty corrupting the original intent of the HAMB since the whole reason I came here was for the no B.S. attitude and grumpy old man humor. Even just a few years ago this place was a lot more rough around the edges.

I will keep posting pictures, but forgive me for not being long winded. My opinion is, when a guy is learnin' somethin' he ought to keep his mouth shut. And for the past couple years that's been me.

24. austinhunt

austinhunt

Some sweet bearing grease from dad's aircraft stash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting ready for steering.

25. austinhunt

austinhunt

Saw a p51 at the reno air races, yellow engine paint. Hood will hide it.
    Will do thank you very much. 5000 lookeeloo's is kinda scary
    No junkyards here full of ford front axles and my welds plus hair pins = ugly. The original axle is going to a stock graham truck...
    I should know that by now.
    Thats pretty neat, just don't show them what I'm doing here....

26. austinhunt

austinhunt

The only thing that does more test fitting than a woman. is a hot rodder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dizzy just sits there wondering what the hell I am doing.

27. austinhunt

austinhunt

Lots and lots of engine problems.... this has been a hard journey for me since its my first four stroke engine build and the machine shop has had multiple hickups and wrong parts orders. I'm taking matters into my own hands since my only help is NOT doing good and should have a running engine soon so no pics untill then.. probly a week for our slow Alaskan shipping.

28. austinhunt

austinhunt

Well I'm never trusting a machine shop to order parts for me ever again and I'm glad I didn't start with a flathead, but I got it sorted out on my own... AND IT RUNS!!!!!

My off topic engine (first multiple cylinder rebuild) runs!!!

And the idle is so choppy I was grinnin from ear to ear. If I had a good mic I would try to record, but you will just have to trust that it sounds just the way it should in a[my] perfect world.

Born on 8/30/12 at 8:01 alaska time. The neighbors loved all 25 minutes of it.

29. Congrats !!!
    That is a great milestone to hit.
    I will be watching the rest of this one.

30. austinhunt

austinhunt

Fiddled with the initial timing to get out some of the lope.

...And had to give my self a little motivation to start the cab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]