Register now to get rid of these ads!

1920-1930's ford export question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustybones, Oct 8, 2009.

1. rustybones

rustybones

where fords sold new in india or pakistan during the 1920's and 1930's does anyone know cheers chris

2. I guess so. If some Indian Maharaja could buy a RollsRoyce or other fancy car they could probably get Fords as well.

Attached Files:

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes. Fords were available essentially anywhere. Ford USA supplied western hemisphere, much of Europe and Asia. Ford Canada supplied Empire, India, South Africa, etc. Ford England supplied a lot of Europe and supported Ford Germany as it ramped up to full factory status.
    Many countries had assembly plants ranging from factories to just garages screwing together knocked down cars, but only USA, Canada, GB, and later Germany and France actually made engines and the main stuff. All of these supplied both R and LHD chassis.
    My '48 export was made at Edgewater NJ, the main export plant for USA, and delivered via Shanghai Ford. Cars had whatever local usage needed...metric speedo in some areas, lights to suit local laws, etc.
    A country with a big market might have gotten parts in large quantity to assemble cars (always little local manufacture) in quantity, a small market might get complete cars partly disassembled for shipping. USA and GB/Canada overlapped a lot in Europe.

PS...your Australian cars are Canadian chassis stuff, a good bit of Australian content in body. India would have gotten standard completely Canadian cars assembled with RHD.

4. rustybones

rustybones

thanks so much bruce as always a wealth of information .We are heading to india to buy 30's motorbikes and was hoping to find some early ford tin too .never know your luck .Getting the stuff out of there is the hard bit but we have a local bloke involved .wish us luck might find my 32 roadster yet...........

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I must say the one thing I've never seen is an Indian junkyard.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Thgere is a series in the V8 times maybe 20 years ago about a guy bringing several '32 phaetons out of Nepal! Canadian/Indian origin...one stage of their trip IN in 1932 involved the cars being CARRIED part of the way by 50 coolies on a lattice of bamboo!
    I was just reading the service manual on a WWII Indian army Ford armored car. The kind of stuff I find in my bathroom...