Register now to get rid of these ads!

18" vintage Halibrands ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mac miller, Apr 19, 2011.

1. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

any information and/or comments on these wheels greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Very sexy wheels. What is the plan for them?

3. alchemy

alchemy

My comment: I likem and wantem. Look like Bonneville wheels with dirt tires on them. Can't remember any use for a wheel that size, with a bolt-on pattern, except for land speed racing.

4. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

going on this hi-boy!

Attached Files:

5. Mac, those are good looking wheels. Surely there is someone here that recognizes them. They may be LSR wheels, not sure, but they would look good on my 27 roadster if you decide to go another direction, :D:D

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

At least based on Indy wheels...maybe redrilled or special versions? The Bonneville connection was a couple of things: Class rules accepted racing tires of any sort...Bonneville only tires were around at some times but required only at very high speeds. The Indy tires were a fairly available source for high speed rubber and their diameter also helped effectively raise gearing for cars with no quickchange...they are very traditional high end hotrod parts!

7. Look killer on your roadster Mac!

8. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Actually, the wheels and the roadster belong to Junya Demura in Japan.
    He contacted me for info on the wheels so I posted the pix here, on the HAMB, for maximum info and knowledge available from the esteemed experts on this forum.

9. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I run similar ones on the back of my sedan -- with 3 bolt patterns in them (not much center left).

Would recommend 1/4-inch flat center plates on the back ones to cover up the extra holes. And at least flat-washer flanged lug nuts on the front.

10. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Looks like those fronts were drilled on the edge for discs.

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Wow! Love those rollers!!

12. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Well ad me to the other inquiring minds, I have an NOS one and am looking for another, here is mine anybody got a good idea how to dismount the LSR tire easily with out ruining it?

Attached Files:

13. Hayabusa32

Hayabusa32
    from Japan

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hi, Dick.
    This can be as easy as you are patient: First, get a vat large enough to submerse the tire and wheel; cover the tire/wheel with hot water, 150 degrees F., mix in a large portion of good dish soap. Let tire normalize to the heat, when it is pliable secure the wheel from the center on a Coates type tire stand. Gently pry it over the lip of the wheel with a piece of delrin, shaped like a flat spoon. Two tools will be necessary, as well as a careful assistant.
    It will slide off, but constant 'basting' with a cloth cooking baster will help keep it slippery.

15. Junya, very nice car. Thanks for sharing the video.

16. bonesy

bonesy

All I know about them is that I want them. Too cool.

17. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Definately halibrands ,Beautiful wheels...........

18. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Attn Atwater Mike, thanks for the suggestion on tire removal , its an NOS tire and NOS wheel and I don't want to damage it.

19. You've got 'em on the wrong way! ;)

I'd flip them over so those out-of-place spacers aren't required to fit the wheel over the disc covers/drums.

20. bonesy

bonesy