Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 18" Motorcycle Sidecar Tire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Feb 10, 2019.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

In some recent thread I saw a warning/post that said to NOT use motorcycle tires on a hot rod. I seem to recall it included some wordage about motorcycle tires not being designed for side loads. Understood, and accepted.

Now, that being said, what about tires designed for sidecar use? They would be subjected to side loads, but I do wonder about the bead area and whether or not it would seat properly on a 18" '32 Ford wire wheel?

Here's a sample sidecar tire https://www.jpcycles.com/product/923-186/metzeler-block-k-4-00p-18-sidecar-tire

Lynn

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It should work as well as any 4" wide bias ply tire, in other words not very well. But for a show car or one that will be driven slowly I don't see why it won't work.

Don't they make an 18" car tire skinny enough?

Back in the day some sidecar motorcycles came with wheels chosen to take car tires, all 3 wheels the same so you could rotate the tires to equalize wear. If they ran car tires on a motorcycle I don't see why those sidecar tires wouldn't work on a car.

I see max capacity is 617 lbs. This could be a problem unless your car is very light. But may be adequate for a T bucket with a small block engine.

lake_harley and dana barlow like this.
  3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I would be concerned about the load rating. What amount of weight will it carry?
    I would suspect that it would not be very high.
    KK

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

I would mount those temporary car spare tires on my sidecar. Can't see why not to use them on a car. I think the speed warning is due to it being smaller than the tire on the other side. Worked great on my sidecar.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

A T roadster is just what I have in mind. I'm picturing a Model A banger powered roadster with '32, 18" wires on the front, 16" wires on the back. Many "skinny-tired" roadsters I've found photos of appear to be using 19" wheels front and back, but I'm picturing more of a "big and little" look. Most 18" tires I've found specs on, on Coker's website anyway, seem quite tall and more "bulky" compared to the look I have in mind.

Just a thought for now, but thinking ahead to a possible next project. My wife is painfully aware that thinking about the "next thing" is what I'm always doing and yammering on about. :confused: Pity the poor woman!

Lynn

BTW.....If it might work, I'd be in the market for a pair each of 18" and 16" wires. Straight, sound and round but cosmetically challenged would be just fine. The "on standby" light on my blast cabinet is blinking.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  6. 34Phil

34Phil

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

The old memories are playing tricks on me. I used space saver spare tires on the back of the motorcycle - not the sidecar. Also tried 5.00-16 bias ply car tire from Coker on the back of that motorcycle since it no longer leaned over with a sidecar. Anyhow, check out the space saver spares.