Register now to get rid of these ads!

17" wheels ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Feb 3, 2004.

1. metalshapes

metalshapes

Does anybody make early Ford steel wheels in 17"?
    What I am looking for is a set of wheels that are identical to '40 Ford wheels, exept 1" larger Dia.
    How hard would it be to find trim rings for that?
    I have found a guy that can sell me wheels that are almost right, but the narrowest size he can do is 7", so I would have to cut them down...
    I could go 18", but I would like 17" better.

2. Whiz

Whiz

Stockton says they have the nostalgia wheels in up to 17" Not sure if this is the style wheel your refering to.

"This is the Hot Rod wheel that started it all! Available in chrome, painted, or raw. Available in 5x4.5, 5x4.75, and 5x5.5 bolt circles, and rim sizes 14x5 to 17x10.".

Wheel vintiques also has some nostalgia style wheels with the same sizes available.

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/nostalgia_wheels.htm

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/nost.html

3. Sonny Mac is doing them. Not sure of the widths. There is a Hamber that has a set of originals in 18 inch. I think they were called Safari wheels.
    Clark

4. Divcos. I have some, and F-Head too.
    '32 spokes were 18", '33-34 17", I'm sure Vintique has trim-rings for them. Ive been thinking of picking up some for the 18"s.

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

thanks for the info.
    Sonny Mac is who I talked to, real nice guy.
    His narrowest 17" wheel is 7" wide,He took his time to try and help me and did not freak out when I told him I wanted to cut down his wheel.
    Dont the Divco's look completely different than the '40 Ford wheels?
    If so that would not work, because I want to mix 16" and 17" wheels on the same car.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

17" beauty rings do exist but they are uncommon. Better line them up before you chisel everything in stone; the rings could cost you more than the wheels.

7. I've got a picture of the 18 inch "safari" wheels but I can't get it resized to post on here. They look identical to the 16s just larger.
    Clark

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On 17" trim rings, first check the Ford repro places like Sacramento Vintage Ford, then try Bill Hirsh of Newark NJ, advertises in Hemmings, does upholstery leather, special paints, trim rings, Packard parts.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Bill HirsCh, actually--sorry.

10. OOOOPS..The "safari" wheels I was talking about are 20 inch wheels. They look just like the 40 Ford wheel and take the same cap.
    Clark

11. I couldn't get the pic I have resized to load. So I took a picture of the screen. It isn't a good pic but you get the idea.
    Clark

Attached Files:

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Clark - What's the story on those wheels? I was thinking about running 18s on the back of my modified in hopes of gaining some top end highway speed. But turns out the largest Firestone I could find (700-18) doesn't give me any more height than a 750-16 would. Those 20 inchers could have me getting down the highway a lot quicker. Width? What were they found on? Just hard to find or "Divco" rare? Would you peddle the ones you have?

13. Grimlok... they're not mine. Wish they were. This is the only set I have ever seen or heard of.
    Clark

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry I jacked your post metalshapes. I just went out and measured some 17" wires (buds) I have and they're 15 1/2 across the inside of the hoop. Rim is 3 1/4" wide at he bead. Maybe by some sort of blind luck you could cut the centers out of some wires and mate the '40 centers to the 17" hoop? Just a thought.

Thanks Clark. I guess the 750-16s will have to do.

15. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

[ QUOTE ]
    I couldn't get the pic I have resized to load. So I took a picture of the screen. It isn't a good pic but you get the idea.
    Clark

[/ QUOTE ]

you sellin that grill? hehe I want it

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

I dont feel like you were, Grimlok.
    I am gratefull for any kind of information, and to me it does not matter if I ask the question or somebody else...