Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 16x4 wheels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by King Callie, May 17, 2016.

1. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

Just got some 16x 4 wheels for the front end of my project. After sandblasting I have found hairline cracks on the backside of the lug nut holes. Is this common? Can I just weld them up and go?

2. What are they made out of?

I am guessing that since they are not really considered to be an around the corner on a heavy car wheel it is probably more common than we think.

3. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

They are Early Ford Steel wheels.

4. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

image.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. What looks like a hairline crack running vertically away from the hole would worry me more then the hole. The cracks could be welded but typically I would weld a washer on the outside in stead of welding the hole up.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Display only ...

King Callie likes this.
  7. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

The holes are for the lugs and have been stressed from overtightning and age/use. Is this a major issue?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I see those wheels aren't all they're cracked up to be...

9. adam401

adam401

My 34 has 39 Lincoln wheels on the front with similar cracking. I'll let you know when they blow up and kill me.
    They'll be fine. You could always drill the end of the crack then weld the crack up. You should always drill the creeping end of a stress crack before welding

King Callie likes this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Major issue: Confidence (or lack thereof) in major components of rolling stock.

In the '70s, a whole fleet of commercial airliners was grounded. Said they found hairline cracks in all the stewardesses.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I remember in the '70s when they grounded a whole fleet of passenger 707s.
    ...Said they found 'hairline cracks' in all the Stews!

Reminds me of a story........but Liza, is you hurt!

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Any wheel like that should be magnafluxed. Self explanatory. Metal fatigue. Not safe.

13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would wonder how the rivits are that fasten the centers into the hoops.

14. oj

oj

If they are wide5 wheels the steel is .090 thick. Very thin metal.

15. i had the same cracks on a couple holes in the 15" X 5" Ford wheels on the front of my `30 coupe until i welded them up. i will run them for a while and check them

16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

They crack like that when they are used on stock model A hubs, an I'm guessing up to 35 hubs since they don't sit flat and aren't supported properly. I took a pair off of my Coupe when i got it and found they were cracked close to a 1/2" back around the lug holes.

17. Here is an illustration of what 31Apickup is referring to:
    http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1286293&posted=1#post1286293

Charlie Stephens

18. step back......you are dealing with wheels that are 70 to 80 years old and have been off and on countless times. Miss a crack welding and you could loose a wheel center. Paint it red and hang it on a wall......or get some life insurance......

302GMC likes this.
  19. It might be cheaper to replace them and then there would be nothing to worry about.

Charlie Stephens

20. Those are just asking for trouble. I would not use them. Don't know where you are in VA but I have quite a few of them laying around that don't have cracks in them. PM if you want some, I'll hook you up with at least some front ones.

pat59 likes this.
  21. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

Thanks for all the replies. My gut told me they were toast the moment I saw them. The more I look the more cracked they get. These won't see the highway. Special thanks to Nailhead Jason for some great alternatives!

22. adam401

adam401

Well in that case pm me if you want to sell them I'll be rolling through Virginia in July. Ya know for wall hangers.

23. McDeuce

McDeuce

Just a idea ... I would send the picture to Jimmy or Gary at Rally America and ask them what to do. They repair and work on a lot of wheels