Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 16"X8 Gennie rims, Finding wide white walls ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kool49, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Kool49

Kool49

Ok well i bought a set of rims for my 31 Ford Model A . I bought the Gennie rims , 16X6 for the front and 16X8 for the rear. I didnt do my research before the purchase. But now that im looking for tires (Bias-Ply) i see they dont have anything that will fit the 8" rim . Does anyone know someone who may sell the tires that will fit the rims ?

I also see they have rim width recomendations, has anyone put a tire that is designed to fit a narrower rim on a wider rim ?

I want the wide white walls (as wide as i can get). And would like to have the Pie Crust side walls . But if i have to i will run Radials , but i want at least a 30" rear and say like a 27/28" for the front .

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions .

Chris

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would use the 6" on the rear, and sell the 8" ones. Find some 4.5's for the front. You can put some nice whites on a 6" rim, 7.50x16. A 16x8 would be nice for some piecrust slicks.

3. Kool49

Kool49

Domt wanna sell the 8s So I may have go with the white wall cheater slick if they have one for that rim. Been searchimg last couple days, still searching lol

4. badshifter

badshifter

You'll be sorry with a 6 inch wheel up front. Way too wide. You made a mistake, time to fix it. No biggie.

5. 6 inch wide rim on the front is really too wide but that's just a opinion.

I have 5" on my pickup. HRP

6. I'm running a 6" wide wheels on the rear of my truck with 820-15 firestone whitewalls. I chose 6" wheel because the 820 was the largest bias ply I could find. It still looks odd because the tread on the stones is real narrow so the side wall bulges out to meet with the beads on the wheel. I'm running a 4 1/2" wheel up front with 570-15s also with a white wall. IMO I wouldn't run the 6" wheels up front I'd go with 4" and either run the 6s or 8s in the back

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Kool49

Kool49

Thanks for the inputs. At this pont im not sure what ill do. I shoulda looked into tires before I bought the rims. But ill make do for now.

8. Normbc9

Normbc9

I special ordered mine from a local tire shop. These are BF Goodrich radials on a custom spoke wheel.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

9. Kool49

Kool49

Well after lots of searching and talking to Coker and Summit , i think your right , the 6"s are way to wide and will be way to tall for the front . Seems the minimal DIA is aprox 30" for the 6" rim withe the wide white wall im wanting. So now i may do as some of ya have suggested sell either the 6 or 8s and go with a 4 1/2 " front. I have considered narrowing one or the other as well . But for now thats jsut a thought .

Thanks