Register now to get rid of these ads!

16" kickup on an 'A' frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bumpstick, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

I'm gonna try this. Tack weld tonite to see how low it will be. I saw this brilliant technique somewhere on the hamb. Anything I should look out for as far as stress is concerned? -stick

Attached Files:

2. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Attached Files:

3. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

last

Attached Files:

4. alchemy

alchemy

At the very least, you'll need to box the stock portion of the rails too. Then you'll have a box cross section the whole length of the rail.

alchemy

5. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Looks like the ticket. But you are going to have to box the rails of the frame to keep it from being a flexi-flyer.

6. =mike=

=mike=

Same as above , box it up and gusset it like you will die if you don't , because you could [​IMG] Looks solid from here .

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow, I'm brilliant. I made my boxing plates long enough to slide inside the tubing. Drill a few holes through the overlap and rosette weld. Sixteen inches of kick is huge. I did eleven with an A spring and crossmember (spring behind) and when I lowered the frame on it sat on the floor. I still don't remember where I came up with eleven inches. So I drilled out the rivets and replaced the rear crossmember with a flat piece. Spring on top will give you some height back and tire size might give a little more. I think I had 650's on the back.

I remember someone was really concerned with there being stresses when you weld across the tubing - but show me a Zed frame that doesn't have welds like that?

8. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Using a 't' spring behind the rearend I'm a little worried it might be too low. Maybe 12" would be better? Thanks fellas'-stick

9. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

holy nose bleed - or would that be ass dragger!

10. TV

TV

I put right at 16" in the back of my a frame, but I did it in two stages rather than one long one. I have a 27 T roadster with a turtle deck. What I was looking for was the rear tires way over the deck in the back. Then with a bulldog [suicide] front end and a reversed eye de-arched spring it is so low it looks like its channeled but its not. I love it, I hope to get it done in a couple of mos.--TV [​IMG] PS- I'm running a T spring.

11. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

my Mod A frame was Z'd 10" and I am going to have to add another leaf or a 3/4" spacer to it because it bottoms out with two people in it ...and I'm fat

[​IMG]

12. I did 9" on my kick and added a 2" spacer above the spring to get my ride height right. Have you mocked it up with 16"? If not, you might want to???????????????!

13. BTW, Saltflatmatt did a T with a 24" kick, it all depends on your front sus, tire size etc...............

And my car uses a 7 leaf T spring

14. flying clutchman

flying clutchman

TV, do you have any pics of the set up you mentioned? i would like to see how low it sits.

diego

15. Man if you go 16 inches, ya better fabricate a pair of rollers to go just before the kick, cause that puppy is gonna drag man. I like the look you are going after, but like they said mock it up first so you don/t have to change it later.

16. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

So if 16 is way to much then 9 to 12 is about right???????

17. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Better to have too much kick than too little, but mock it up anyway dude.

18. TV

TV

Heres some pictures of the kicked up frame, rear tires are 33" mock ups only. The frame is about 7" off the ground with these tires.

Attached Files:

19. TV

TV

1 more

Attached Files:

20. TV

TV

The frame was built as a street roadster, the cage is so I can run the car at Bville. The cage is removable for runnin on the street. Drivetrain = Banger with a five speed. [​IMG]TV

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That looks nice. I can't wait to build my next car so it can be a little cleaner and look more thought out. My poor modified frame has seen the grinder and welder too much already.