Register now to get rid of these ads!

16" Electric Radiator Fan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6cylindersovertexas, Jun 1, 2009.

1. 6cylindersovertexas

6cylindersovertexas

I have never posted here before, but cannot seem to get an answer to a question. Here goes:
    What is the largest amount of air that a 16" electric fan can move across, or through a radiator as a pusher fan? I see all kinds of numbers quoted, but no real proof of the claims. I'm told "S" blades are more efficient and more quiet than straight blades. That's all I know. Is 1950 cfm a possible number or 3250 cfm a possible number?
    Thanks.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That would obviously depend on the size and construction of the radiator core, number of rows and configuration of tubes, number of fins per inch, and total thickness.
    It is best to use an electric fan as a puller on the engine side of the radiator core but if it wasn't in the plan from square one it is hard to change on lots of cars/trucks.

Do the manufacturers not give specifications on their products?

3. I just cracked open a speeway catalog, and their various 16" fans are moving 2000+ CFM. Their "ultimate" cooling fan does 2700 CFM.

The smaller ones are 11" 850, 13" 1000, 15" 1700..

So in this case, bigger is better.

4. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I bought one from Summit Racing that moves 2100 cfm its a straight blade pusher or puller.
    It was $65.95 I have it on a 302 with a stock F1 rad and it keeps a constant engine temp with no over heating so far.

5. Splinter

Splinter

Bear in mind, whatever the CFM rating is for the fan, you are going to lose 20% efficiency in a pusher versus a puller configuration. So, the 2100 cfm fan above in a pusher goes like this: 2100 x .8 = 1680 cfm through your core. Just something to keep in mind.

6. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

One of the Ford performance magazines did a tech using a junkyard taurus with a/c factory fan.. it was two speed and did over 2600 cfm if I remember right. Pretty good for 20 bucks from a U-pullit..

7. Did they get into the amperage draw on that? I think those run 60 amp fuses. I think..

They have a pretty big shroud on them too. i guess you could break it off and make your own.

A great source if it works.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Heres the straight scoop,go to www.fordmuscle.com click on tech archives,click on cooling(left column)click on Junkyard Fan for small budgets,real good article! the shroud is a good thing and it is not large the install is on a early Mustang(small radiator) and is you use the relays you'll be home free, no prob!:cool: