Register now to get rid of these ads!

15x4" Temporary wheels as front wheels.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superjunkman, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Excellent!
    What's the measure inside the hoop on the wheels you made?
    Did it require spacers to shim the hoop inner diameter?
    Which model Hyundai vehicle did you get the temps from???

I've been checking them out whenever an import comes into the shop but haven't found anything close enough yet.

Thanks. :D

2. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

What about the USPS Jeeps? They are 15x4 I think, travel over 50mph. Not sure about the bolt pattern.

3. papanapa

papanapa
    from missouri

think late 80's and early 90's t bird turbo coupes had em. ant they were solid aluminum to boot. they look like somethin off a salt car!

4. I use these wheels . Never go flat. Middle track guide wheels of a 1937 Ford Snowbird i had. Mind you they don,t work on grass or dirt. They cut right into mother earth.

Attached Files:

5. For those of you still looking, check into the Porsche Boxster/ late 911 spares. I believe they are 16 X 4 -5 on 5 1/2" and they look a lot like an old Bugatti, etc. wheel from the 30s.

D-Russ likes this.
  6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

The skinny on the wheels is the tire isnt speed rated ,Steel is steel

7. We run temp rims on a land speed car. Its the tires that have a mph rating. No problems at tech so no problem on street,

8. Dave K

Dave K

I do not see any reason a tire shop would not take them off for you it should be mounting them that would get them into trouble.

As far as taking them off they come off just like any other tire. You can do it your self with tire irons.

I use to run temp tires (not the rims like you are planning) on my lowered VWs. I put 10s of thousands of miles on them and never had a problem. You can even run them flat at freeway speeds with no problems. Also I got pulled over for to low and other fix it ticks over and over and the one thing they never gave me crap about was the temp tires.

9. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

We are using temporary spare rims on our lakester 4X15 with 5X43/4 pattern from Camero. I have told that this type wheel have been run in excess of 200 MPH at Bonneville. I think AMC used a 5X5 1/2 pattern.

10. InPrimer

InPrimer

USPS Jeeps were 5X5.5 if I remember right

11. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I think it was an Elantra. I also think the inner hoop measured 12" but I'm working from memory.

12. Bigstar

Bigstar
    from Austin

13. moefuzz

moefuzz

Fuuny,

The persons you make fun of

Have a clearer idea of what it REALLY was like in the 50's

I can't say that about the 'old skool' look here in the good old USA

No not even Austin.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  14. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

60's bronco wheels are 15 x 5.5 with a 5 1/2 bolt circle.

Jon

15. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

the early 50s f1-f100 wheels are 15 by 5 with 5.5 pattern. i just got some.

16. I had a tire shop try to take off a set of temp tires off some 15x4 or5, spare from 90s camaro...maybe it was a dumbass at the machine, but the tire has such a stiff sidewall it bent one of the rims. I would get them to break the bead then cut the majority off with a sawzall or what ever.....hans

17. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I didn't read all the post, but I had 2 pairs I used on my T Bucket. I looked and found them in junk yards in my case chevy bolt pattern. You have to look for cars in the '70's - '80's. I did not have any trouble finding a tire shop to dismount the spare tires, then on one set I put on VW 165R15 tires, another set I had BFG 5.00 x 15 WWW. The only down side is there are no bumps to hold center caps. As far as safe/legal they are DOT approved wheels - it's the spare tires that have restrictions-not the wheels. They really looked good too. By the way there are 16" too. A guy gave me one for nothing and I had an old Sears WWW tire sitting in a corner of my garage and I mounted it by hand - looks great!

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Not everywhere apparently.
    I have some 16 x 5's that came off a 1956 F100and have seen abandoned pickups, both F1 and F100 with the same style 16.
    Seems certain areas got 15's, while others got the 16's.
    Not sure when the 15"ers got popular up here, but till 1956 the 16's seem to be the common one.
    I'm betting the more rural areas got the taller 16's. ;)

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be aware, if it means anything to anyone, that many of these temporary spare wheels only have a safety bead on on lip, and not the other.

20. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

21. Those little Tracker 4 X 4 's have a 5 X 5 1/2 bolt pattern, not sure on rim width though.

22. That's true, but the problem with Stude wheels is that they are made of very thin metal and have been known to crack in odd places whether you used bias ply tires or radials.. It was worse when people put the more flexible radials on them.

The rims also do not have enough curve in certain areas to clear brake calipers or even the drum balance weights found on some "other brand" drum brakes.

They are also known to throw wheelcovers if you use something different. Sometimes they would even throw a Stude cap when you cornered really hard. ..er, tried to corner hard..

Many tire stores would not put radials on them because of a warning about rim flex when using radials. You will probably notice that car rims from the 1970's and later have thicker metal than many of the 50's and 60's wheels. Long, long ago tire stores were warned about putting radials on rims that would flex.

Maybe on the front of a lightweight rod with bias tires they could be fine.......
    check them for warp first. I threw many Stude rims away because tire stores couldn't make them run true.

I know, I know many Stude people will come running with pitchforks to argue with my preposterous and sacriligious claim besmirching their favorite car, and about their wheels lasting a long time, but the fact is there WERE INDEED cracking troubles, and there WERE warnings put out in the past.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010

23. Get one shop to remove it and another to install your new tire:p

Me I just do them myself with the old manual tire machine:D