Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 150 MPH Speedometer??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J D Coop, Mar 14, 2018.

1. J D Coop

J D Coop

2. subdajj

subdajj

It is KMH not MPH

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. rc57

rc57

If you read the listing further down, the 150 is kilometers.

4. Likely from an English Ford.........but nobody needs to know that. Put it in your car and it will automatically go faster. ;)...........Cheap speed equipment!:eek:

5. wsdad

wsdad

150km = 93mph

I got courious and Googled it.

6. desotot

desotot

It will only go faster if you hook up the speedo cable.

7. 208custom

208custom

They can be re-calibrated. Had it done by Rusty at Speedometer Service in Colorado for my 50'
    IMG_3089.JPG

8. J D Coop

J D Coop

Well, now I feel stupid. If I had read further I would have noticed that it was a KPH speedo. I wasn't interested in buying it, but it piqued my curiosity when it popped up in my search. My original speedometer works fine ( Thanks to Rusty for building a cable to my M-22 ) but I have been looking for a "Police Special" to swap in. Thanks for not spanking me too badly.

firstinsteele likes this.
  9. I was on a long trip years ago in a remote area and was following along with the signs that told you how far away the next town was. I started scratching my head and cussing that the figures don't match my odometer. It was then that I was reminded that we were in Canada and they were in kilometers......doh!

10. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Divide kms by .62...100 kms = 62 mph. 90kms=54mph...don't need Google for that...

Hnstray likes this.
  11. It's all part of a system. To get that speedo to work, I think you have to buy petrol by the liter.

12. fleetside66

fleetside66

There weren't too many 150 mph speedometers around in the 1930's, for sure. I have this one from a 1937 supercharged Cord. I always wondered if there were others. The normally aspirated car that year got the 120 mph version.

IMG_3447.JPG

Gotgas, VANDENPLAS, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am a long time Cord fan...so absolutely NO disrespect intended....but that was a marketing ploy! :D

Ray

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of being at a car show about 30 years ago and two young kids were going around looking at cars and one kid points to the speedometer in a T bucket an says " this one is faster it will go 150."

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. fleetside66

fleetside66

Ha-ha...nobody is beating down the doors, Ray. I love the Cords, too. When I was a car-hop back in the early '60's, a guy used to come in with a black sedan with those gorgeous chrome pipes hanging out the side. I always made it my point to wait on him so I could ogle the dash.

Getting back to the subject, I was hoping someone would chime in on other 1930's 150 mph speedos, but nada so far. I did a little research today & I found that the Deusenberg had one. I'm wondering if there's one in existence that's not in a car? Maybe in Jay's garage?

autowp.ru_duesenberg_j_torpedo_berline_by_rollston_7.jpg

Attached Files:

16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just looking at that dash and remembering some of the instrument panels from Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon's spaceships. I don't see the button for the Death Ray, though.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. firingorder1

firingorder1

18. fleetside66

fleetside66

I think that might be a cafe racer speedo from the '60's..? I wonder what the ratio is on that one?

The more I contemplate the matter, the more I think the O.P. (remember him?) should use the British Ford speedo & ask Rusty to recalibrate it. Those bezels are pretty user friendly to remove & replace & his can be cleaned up with minimal effort...just use a soft brush to whisk the face. It would be a great conversation piece, too.

19. One of my favorite automobiles. Top speed, a little over 100 mph but then again how many stock showroom cars can bury a speedometer. Except maybe all those 80 mph ones that came out after the gas shortage. Marketing at it's best.

Hnstray likes this.
  20. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Miles per hours? Is that Chinglish?
    Strange, Smiths is good stuff.
    [​IMG]

As for the original speedo, I'm pretty certain England did not use kilometers in the 1930s. Probably that's a French or other foreign unit.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be right at home here in Canuckerville...we are metric up here...:(...the 36 speedo in the ole hotrod is mph and conversion is a wee pain.

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

180kph (111mph) in an original 46 Olds would be frightening to say the least :eek:
    Olds speedo 180.jpg
    Dash-.jpg
    Had mine upgraded from OEM (110mph) to 140, I now just need to decide what it is calibrated in, kph or mph? :D
    Speedo2.JPG

34 GAZ likes this.
  23. How about 200 in a 1955 Plymouth.:rolleyes:o_O
    A.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  24. 1946 BUICK might just get to 180 , downhill :oops:
    1946 BUICK 1.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  25. 160 :p in the mid 1930's with a tailwind.:D
    HUDSON 1.JPG TERRAPLANE 1.JPG

26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It may be possible for some of these speedometers that you can change the drive and driven gears to make them read properly in miles per hour.

There just have to be gears available to reduce the rpm of the cable by 0.62, or one of those gadgets that goes between the cable and transmission to speed it up or slow it down.