Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 150.00 Dollars !!! to register

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubby44, Apr 16, 2011.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Don't worry, with your attitude, I can't imagine having much fun at one of your "events"- nor do I need to line your pockets. You're sure going to great lengths to ridicule everyone who feels that charging entrants a lot of money to put on the show is wrong. Our show is in it's 27th year, we have it on a beautiful golf course driving range, pay for the venue, city permits, insurance, traffic control, all that stuff, have two booths doing burgers & dogs plus barbecued oysters & shrimp, live band & sound system, outhouses, tee, tank, and sweatshirts, about 25 class & special trophies, a nice goodie bag & dash plaque for the entrants, lots of raffle prizes like tools, oil, car care stuff, etc., all for the princely sum of $25 for vehicle entry- spectators free- and all leftover proceeds go to kid's sports. $150? Come on, pull the other one- somebody's making a bundle on that one- IF the lemmings show up

2. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

So my dad owns a production company which films for the outdoor channel, pursuits, etc.

He actually pays the television channel to run his series, last I heard it was $77k for 13 episodes.

He makes his money by charging his sponsors, he gets eight 30 second adds per episode and each episode airs 3 times per week.

I assume that all would agree that he should not pay the channel to get his episode on TV??????

After all without his episodes there would be no, Outdoor channel or pursuits???

How about Speed, or the Powerblock???? Similar charges. Why does he pay, to get his artwork on TV and make $$$$$$$

I agree $150 for a show is high, however a reasonable price seems appropriate considering all the leg work that is involved with a car show.

Obviously someone is willing to pay to enter, if you are not don't go, don't even go as a spectator. If you want to go sit around and be bored pay the fee and enter, after all it is just ego stroking!!!!

Business is business and we all have to make a buck.

3. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

150? uhhhhh.... what the... with gas prices ect? wowzers....

4. yruhot

yruhot

Wow $25-35 is about my limit and thats if the money is going to a worthy charity such as kids or cancer research and such. If the money is going to help kids I'm hooked on helping them like most car people are. But $150.00, does that include a hotel room at least? I get a kick out of seeing the kids reaction when they see my car. One of the best shows I did was for the St Judes home for kids. they were the most polite and cool kids I've ever seen. And they All asked if the car had N.O.S.lol. Fast and Furious had just come out. Pretty funny They all looked for that bottle in the back somewhere. Lets keep it fun. YRUHOT

5. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Agreed.LAR.....no gimmicks, trinkets,....just Roadsters ... For $25

LB @ $ 150.00 will learn quickly...and petrol could be hovering around $4.50 gal by then...

6. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

Keep yer adv down ! Only wear it has to be ! 7000 two sides flyers 150.00 usually koolhousw is cool about adv ! As is local rags ! Dont try n get rich of a show ! That's what yer day job is for !

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

And for the record, I think $150 is high too, and wouldn't go.
    But I'm not going to sit here on an internet site and complain about what other people are doing.
    THAT is my biggest complaint on threads like these... all the monday-morning quarterbacking, criticism and class-envy BS drives me nuts.
    If you don't like it, don't go. But stop ripping on people who are making a living, because you think they should be giving it away... or even because YOU give it away.
    I'd love to put on a huge show, get all the stuff donated, not charge anyone to come in and buy the world a coke and teach them to sing. But being a one-man band, I don't have the time to do all that, AND provide for my family.
    I just can't grasp why some people think attending a car show, either as a spectator or a car-owner, should be any different than getting a set of pistons from a company.
    It's a product, and you choose to buy it, or not.

-Brad

8. chop32

chop32

I agree, to a point, that there many expenses involved in putting on a quality show.
    In this era of overpriced shows, we have fought hard to keep the entry fee at our annual Swanx Fall Fiasco to $15.00 per car (walkins are free), and we provide a great meal and an event T Shirt or Poster to the first 75 cars, as well as 2 bands, a DJ and vendors, so it can be done if you work at it.

9. I was thinking the same thing. What the heck is "koolhousw"

10. 5window

5window

Let's just start with "rodz".

11. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Methinks that, in a nutshell, seems to sum you up pretty well- you're not really an enthusiast, just in it for the buck- and you'll never get any of mine, thanks
    You seem to be way too angry and money-hungry to remember that's it's all supposed to be FUN-even if it's business, too- and getting bent over for a $150 "piston" ain't funny- it's just unjustifiable greed, plain 'n simple

12. bardahl1

bardahl1

Example of reasonable yet not free.

13. Yep 30.00 in advance. :) 60.00 at show.

14. I'm not trying to start an argument, but if the show can't exist without the cars, why aren't the car owners getting paid? The car owners are providing a product/service just like the event promoters, right? More so, the event can't even exist without the cars, but it can without the bands, food, t-shirts or whatever else. We all know it doesn't work that way, just curious as to what your thoughts would be here.
    Again, I choose simply not to go unless the money is for a good cause or it's an event with something I deem worthwhile, so please don't think I'm trying to pick a fight.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  15. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

I guess we are pretty well off up here in Canada. Most shows are around $10.00 and the big shows are around $40.00 But get this there are some that are free and by donation only food or cash. In my opinion these are the best shows and not because they are free. But you get a great variety of cars, a great variety of people, great games and all proceeds go to charity, the winners take home cash or expensive car stuff, no trophies, awsome door prizes and lot's of chances to win cool stuff, you are given a ticket at the gate when you pull in. Best of all there is no whining over trophies and everyone goes home happy. I have seen myself spend over $50.00 at a free show and no regrets still happy when I head home knowing I did my part for charity in some small way. Just my.02

16. Bottom line: At least we still have these events to bitch about. Our hobby is under enough pressure from "them". I'm sure there are a great number of people out there that would love to see all our cars crushed into cubes or recycled into garden fence or something.

17. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

yea $150 I wont be there. But around $20 for the fathers day at Pomona, and GNRS, Goodguys at Del Mar, those are worth it, big areas and even large indoor show buildings, food, displays, world class cars, and some stuff for sale, all day long walk till you drop, are worth it.

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Thank god I'm not the only one that finds this hard to read..........:p

19. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Don't rip on Brad- I have been to his swap meets and he really has always been a stand up guy. He has even taken hard hits in the pocket when there is rain and such just so vendors will come back the next time. I know that he has lost his own money trying to help rodders out with things like his swap meets.
    He has no attitude- He has simply put on shows and is telling it like it is.

He charges barely enough (sometimes not enough) to cover his costs and often there are some neat cars that show up so it is like its own little car show.

20. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Yes Sir, Groucho,...

I have had to battle the others members of our club,... to keep our car show FREE... to not only, the registration fee to the car owners, but also to the spectators...(the non-paying public)...
    Give a little, get a lot... our show is all about raising money for our charitable organization, the "American Heart Association". I believe if we put on a free show, (where everybody has a good experience), the proceeds will reflect that good experience. 100 per cent of the profits made from our club's show will got to benefit the "American Heart Association".

21. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

"Get off your ass and put on your own show some time, and then get back to me.
    Venue rental, advertising, insurance (because some jack-off will get hurt and decide to sue the promoter because "They've got lots of money."), staff, communications equipment, PA equipment, garbage disposal, porta-johns, tickets, etc. etc. et fucking cetera. And let's not forget the accountant and tax work after the show to deal with all of it.

You hit the nail on the head: "their BUSINESS." When you can stroll into Dairy Queen, the local body shop or movie theater and use their goods and services without paying for it, you'll have a legitimate bitch.

Until then, you're just whining. Do us a favor and stay home.

-Brad "

No attitude? Really? Maybe you should go back and read the whole thread, as he attempts to ridicule anyone who disagrees with his position- he was the one ripping on folks who didn't care for high admission prices. Sorry, but a lot of us have also been doing this for a long time, have an idea of the logistics and costs involved, and are allergic to BS, especially when presented with "attitude". You say he charges "barely enough to cover his costs", he says he's making a living at it- can't be both ways- as I said, maybe you should go back and read the whole thread

22. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

Sorry man just quit smokin butts ! Outa my gord man ! Lol

23. How about a get together of 80-100 cars, swap meet, food and drinks, all FREE!! Yep, how about having sponors pay for it all?? Could it work?? IT DOES at the Street Kings Motor Club Anti Car Show in Guthrie OK April 30th celebrating the Oklahoma Land Run '89ers Day.

http://www.streetkingsokla.com/SKTWENTYELEVEN.html

[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]SK TWENTY ELEVEN
    [/FONT]​

<!-- </hs:element63> --><!-- <hs:element64> -->
    What is SK TWENTY ELEVEN?

A free cookout for the first 400 gearheads, family, friends, hitchhikers, all are welcome!

That's right, hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and pop for 400! Free!

Bring your hot rod, bike, lowrider, 4X4, street racer, ricer, AMC, Chevy, Ford, Mopar, VW....

as long as it has an internal combustion motor...BRING IT! A come and go as you please event.

No trophies, no judging, no BS!

Brought to you in 2011 by

When? April 30 2011

Swap meet starts at 9AM (Vendors set up for free) Free lunch for the first 400 at high noon!

Where? 4514 South Division Street Guthrie, Oklahoma

The swap meet is free for vendors and buyers alike this year!

Call Martin Blaney at (405) 359-0429 for more information.

<!-- </hs:element64> --><!-- <hs:element65> -->[​IMG]
    <!-- </hs:element65> --><!-- <hs:element66> -->[​IMG]
    <!-- </hs:element66> --><!-- <hs:element67> -->[​IMG]
    <!-- </hs:element67> --><!-- <hs:element70> -->
    [FONT=Impact, sans-serif]www.streetkingsokla.com
    [/FONT]​

<!-- </hs:element70> --><!-- <hs:element71> -->
    [FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Guthrie, Oklahoma
    [/FONT]​

<!-- </hs:element71> --><!-- <hs:element72> -->
    Waterloo NAPA Call (405) 348-6272

Industrial Truck Equipment www.iteupfit.com (405) 688-6100

Rockin N Ranch

Aho Audio (405) 537-5684

Customautosbytim.com

<!-- </hs:element72> --><!-- <hs:element75> -->
    [FONT=Impact, sans-serif]April 30, 2011
    [/FONT]​

<!-- </hs:element75> --><!-- <hs:element76> -->
    [FONT=Impact, sans-serif]FREE FOOD FREE FOOD
    [/FONT]​

<!-- </hs:element76> --><!-- <hs:realtracker> --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var user='1755047069',pp='SKflyer', to=-360,cl=1,id='',r='http://web4.realtracker.com/'; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="/~site/Scripts_ExternalRedirect/ExternalRedirect.dll?CMD=CMDGetJavaScript&H_SITEID=RTK3&H_AltURL=%2F%7Esite%2FRealTracker%2Fibc90006.js&HSGOTOURL=http%3A%2F%2Fweb4.realtracker.com%2Fnetpoll%2Fjs%2Fibc90006.js" type=text/javascript> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://web4.realtracker.com/netpoll/js/ibc90006.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://t8.prnx.net/js/tc.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="/~site/javascript/prnx_track.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="/~site/javascript/jQuery-1.4.2.min.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="/~site/javascript/jquery.cookie.min.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="/~site/javascript/hs_track.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>[​IMG][​IMG] <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- </hs:realtracker> -->

24. The SoCal HAMB BBQ costs $4 to park......It's been getting bigger every year. Bring your own chairs,it's pot-luck food,and last year we had HotWheel races and the winner got $100!!!
    This years BBQ will be on June 4th. I'll start a thread probably next week sometime.
    ALL HAMB members and their families are welcome. Gonna send out some invites to some non-HAMB car clubsthat I know, this year.

25. 5window

5window

But, what if I'm a vegetarian and I want a trophy?

There are incredible logistics to putting on a show, as well as, expenses. If you're a non-profit or charity event, it's great to keep costs down. If you're a promoter looking for a profit, it's reasonable to charge reasonable fees. Competition will weed out those charging too much.

Here in PA, I'm fine with the Carlisle folks charging vendors for their spots and charging me to attend. The vendors get a large number of people interested in their products. I get a large number of people selling what I am looking to buy. Fair trade. I never understood why car shows charge the cars to enter when that's what the people attending the show are coming to see. Be like a concert tour manager charging the group to play, then charging the public to attend. Nonsense.

26. You can cruise on Friday night, Live Bands on Saturday and Sunday, and now an Added bonus is a Swap Meet on Sunday.

For more info on the 30th Annual West Coast Kustoms Cruisin Nationals that will Memorial Day weekend May 27-29 in Santa Maria, Calif..go to WWW.WESTCOASTKUSTOMS.COM

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  27. What do you get for $150?

When I was in high school, we sometimes were asked to pay $1 to cover the keg.

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The Los Boulevardos puts on a great cruise several times a year. Be it the cruise to the lake or a guerrilla cruise to a mom & pop burger joint. It's a chance to actually cruise your car and hang with like minded people. No baby strollers, bikes and dogs. Just a good time with friends.

Bad Bob BBQ is the bomb. Great food and atmosphere. Very kick back.

The best thing? These are FREE...........

29. Fenders

Fenders

That's an interesting concept... a car show that lets you drive your own car....

30. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

$150.00 , i want a lap dance too !