Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 15 x 9 steel wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Why doesn’t anyone make a 15” x 9” steel wheel? You can’t get a 9” wheel until you get to 17” diameter. I don’t get it. 15” x 10” will be too wide for my application.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Did you call Wheelsmith ?

3. Didn't there used to be a 15x8.5 size? Maybe search that, is a 1/2 inch less close enough?

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

If you can't find a single piece 9" wide rim/band, you can cut two and weld, to make one to what ever width you want. Nothing new, been done for many years.
    Place the center where required...off you go.
    Just have the builder prove the wheels concentricity (run-out)...before...you pay them.

Mike

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

X 2. My Dad used to widen wheels all the time for is dirt track racing cars.

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nice website and products. That puzzles me. With your skills and machine shop, why wouldn’t you be able to make a set for yourself? My brother and I did not have your set up or shop space or the machining tools. So, we had to have the widened steel wheels made with the Chevy center hub in place. Once made, the shop had been set up for alignment and truing, so those 15 x 9 inch Chevy rims were perfectly round.

I did not remember those wheels until I re-read the old 1961 Drag News Advertisement. My brother had them made for the future in mind, as we had 7 inch Bruce Slicks on Chevy rims from 1958 to 1965. (They (7 inch Bruce Slicks) were originally used for the 58 Impala during the dragstrip time trials and street action.) Because of being mounted on Chevy bolt pattern rims, they fit on our 56 Chevy Positraction, rear end axles on the 40 Willys build.

We were in the process of getting the 40 Willys running well, then going for the full upgrade prior to the 1960 Nationals in Detroit. So, sometime in the summer, he had those 15 inch steel, 9 inch wide, Chevy center rims, made to fit the new M&H slicks we had ordered. We had to cancel the M&H order because of our Lions Dragstrip accident in August 1960.

My brother had instructed me to write up an ad for the Drag News Classified Section in late December /early January 1961 issue. During this time, everything was labeled.

Jnaki
    All of these years later, I finally read the ad several times, forgotten about the rims, and found out that my brother had 9 inch wide, pair of Chevy rims made for those future, M&H “big” slicks we had on order. I guess he wanted to try those on the Chevy bolt pattern rims first, then order the final Halibrand Mag Wheels for the run to the Nationals in September.

I know those 9 inch wide Chevy rims were not for the Impala. (the 7 inch Bruce Slicks fit fine…) So, he did have upcoming plans. He had a job that paid well for a kid and we had some help from our dad, only when we were in need. The need, certainly, was calling in late July for ordering the speed parts for the late August delivery and install.
    upload_2018-12-30_5-25-27.png
    The printed ads were typed in by the Drag News staff and the misspelling was not me, but the lady on the phone desk. For this ad, we certainly had to correct that spelling, but the mislabeled, 49 Willys motor and running gear (trans & rear end) that did not sell, because no one was looking for a 1949 Willys motor and running gear!!! It should have read: 1940 Willys motor and running gear.

The ad cost per letter and the typist cut corners when it was deemed necessary, despite the misprint.

7. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Try Diamond Racing Wheels in Cudahy WI ( Milwaukee suburb) they will make just about anything you want. Tech Support: [email protected]

8. You can have any size you want made. HRP