Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 15" wheels for wide 5 hubs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johndee138, Jan 8, 2018.

1. johndee138

johndee138
    from Atlanta GA

What all is involved to put 15" narrow pattern wheels on 36 Ford wide 5 drums.
    all running gear is stock 36 with the exception of 39 wide 5 hubs.
    Does anyone make adapters , spindle swap needed, later drums, etc. ??

2. Sparado made some. Have no idea what has happen to his inventory. I've heard speedway did also. Have no idea of the quality.

3. johndee138

johndee138
    from Atlanta GA

I want to use my stock spindles and rear axle tapers if possible
    Different hubs/drums for 15” wheels is what I’m shooting for

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, you have Wide 5, 5-on-10-1/4" pattern wheels not, but you want a more conventional pattern now, like 5-on-4-1/2", 5-on-3/4", or 5-on-5-1/2"?

If that is the case, you would need 1937-1948 rear hubs and brakes, and 1937-1948 front spindles, hubs and brakes, for an all-bolt on (except king pin reaming). That spans two models of spindle, one round back, and one square back.

There was, at one time (and might still exist) a kit to put later hubs on 1936 spindles (one year only spindles). The brake backing plates would need drilling and welding, and a spacer ring, if I remember correctly.

There is not enough metal in the proper area of a Wide 5 drum/hub to support installing studs, and the center of the hub/drum is belled, not flat, disallowing a plate adapter being placed over it.

Ford did not make giant changes in this era. There is quite a bit of interchange between years, just not with 1936 spindles. They have a different snout length, even though they look similar to 1937 spindles.

Are you still running mechanical brakes?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He wants to go the other way.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The kit does still exist. I just have not had reason to look.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hydraulic-Brake-Adapter-Rings,3286.html

This will put 1939-1948 hydraulic backing plates and hubs (which are 5-on-5-1/2" pattern), on your existing spindles.

I am not sure if the brake offset is correct to continue to use mechanical brakes with later hubs and drums, but it might be.

7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

At one time you could buy the wide five insert at Speedway ,the problem is a 15 inch rim makes the rim very close to the lug nuts. I tried it using them for a narrow VW style wheel . Your results may vary

MD52 likes this.
  8. bct

bct

Go f1 or f100 with the smaller drums

9. johndee138

johndee138
    from Atlanta GA

Let me clarify my situation. I want to be able to put 15" WWW radial tires onto my wide 5, 36-39 Early Ford V8 brake drums. I have 39 brakes in the rear and MT Lincoln brakes in the front with 37-39 drums all around The stock wheels are 16".
    16" WWW 600x16 tires are $300 + each. If I can somehow scare up some 15" wheels that will fit my wide 5 drums I won't have to change out my hubs and drums for a 5x5 1/2 pattern 15" wheel.
    (Speedway has the parts to do this, about a grand before wheels and rubber) That will allow me a much greater choice of WWW radial tires to choose from. There has been some discussion of cutting down a wide five wheel and welding a 15" wheel band to it over on the Ford Barn.
    I am looking for suggestions that will get me into some WWW radials the most economical way.
    hubcaps are not even a concern as I'm headed toward a custom presentation anyway.
    Anyone know of a wheel shop that could perform this wheel surgery? Any idea of the cost? Anybody got wide 5 wheels in the southeast that have buggered up rims with good centers for donors?
    Do I have any further options I haven't considered?

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There is another option I think you are close(r) to achieving. That is using wider 16" rims on wide 5 centers. There was thread and/or posts on that very topic within the past month or two here on the HAMB. A search should turn up the thread I am referring to.

Not sure where you intend to source you radial wide whites, but Diamondback can surely supply www 16" radials.

Ray

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I raced my old modified stock car on dirt tracks back in the day, we made all of our own wheels. Sometimes we used old Ford centers cut down and 15" rims from the junkyard, and sometimes (when we had some money) we got the components (centers and wheel shells) from Speedway Motors. Never had a problem. If you're careful making them straight and true, there should be no problems (if you own a welder).

Hnstray likes this.
  12. johndee138

johndee138
    from Atlanta GA

At $300+ each OUCH!!!!
    Ray apparently I can get wide 5 centers from Speedway just need a wheel shop to stick them to 15” rims

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

15" rims / wide 5 are still common in modified stock car racing. First off, are you sure a 15" rims in the widths you want will clear your brake drums and suspension? If so, then contact places like Diamond racing wheels or similar firms. You might find what you want without custom building. Gary

14. It is quite easy as the original centres are riveted in so you can pull them apart your self, then just get the centres machined to fit the 15'' hoops. The little scallops around the edges are a little smaller after, but it not that noticable.

15. johndee138

johndee138
    from Atlanta GA

After a good bit of calling all across the country, I have discovered the path of least resistance is to buy the wheel centers from Speedway at $25 ea and have a wheel shop (all the ones I found were in California) Wheelsmith, Stockton Wheel, & Pete Paulsen Wheels. around $150 each before paint and shipping . The wide width hoops/shell/rims are easy to come by, but the 4 & 5 inch wide hoops are only available through these wheel shops. At least I could not find anything but agriculture and other low speed non DOT approved hoops.
    The upshot of all this exercise is not a real savings overall unless you want to run some 15" hubcaps as the selection of those is much greater