Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1300 cubic inch Monster LSR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller91, May 28, 2009.

1. miller91

miller91

Direct from H-E-double hockey sticks!

The FIAT Mephistopheles

1300 cubes, yes, that's right

320 HP @1400 rpms

Seven inch stroke! Can you say "thump"?

146 mph in 1923 on a public road...

2. Love to hear a sound clip of that...probably sounds like an Alco 251 locomotive engine!

3. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Hope it doesn't smoke as much as an Alco :eek:

4. What (cough, cough), exactly, (gasp), do you (choke) mean by that? And, where are you? Can't see a damn thing through all this haze. :D

Of course, I've seen some fairly breezy Electro-Motive & GE prime movers, too, to be fair about things.

5. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Just think, the resulting smokescreen could result in an competitive advantage.

6. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Does Chrysler know about this? Maybe there is hope after all ;)

7. great photos and thanks for sharing it!

8. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

This car was originally black with many bodywork changes over the years.
    Weighed 2 tonnes,had a 240hp engine bumped upto 320hp that was very popular in airships at the time. 24 spark plugs.3 magnetos,no front brakes and a chain drive.

Attached Files:

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Fiat is just plain mean and I can't imagine what arm strength it took to drive it over a long distance race.

Thanks for sharing, the photos are saved in my "how should I do that" file for future reference for an upcoming/ongoing project.

10. Interesting! According to one source it was actually built only a few years ago, for fun, and uses a BMW aero engine used in, or intended for, a Zeppelin. That starter does sound wicked. Brutus, indeed.

11. rodknocker

rodknocker

This was actually the common set up in the early days of automobiles.Henry Ford won many races in 1902 with an inline 4 cylinder sporting 1,156 cubic inches. This was his famed "999" machine.As the big investors saw his technology, and wins at racing, they flocked to him to invest in his knowledge,and the rest is history...
    Here's another video of an old racer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWxSFRm5-RE

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  12. That's pretty cool too! :D

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

What was the procedure to start these things?

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a photo of a guy starting this car or one slightly smaller with a 4 foot bar on the hand crank.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

15. I´ve had that thing start up about three feet in front of me. Still have the sound saved on my phone!:)

IIRC the motor was from a Dornier Walrus flying boat.

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

silly Mephistofeles stat: in direct a piston fires once every 6 feet.

the chassis is the remains of one of the 1907 GP cars, with a section of a london commuter bus grafted in.

17. no bux rod

no bux rod

I think there was one of these monsters at the Goodwood festival of speed (England) a couple of years ago. I saw a video so there should be some audio out there.

Driving one must be fun since the driver had to control ignition timing as well as fuel mixture along with the usual driving chores.

N B R

18. banjorear

banjorear

That's funny.

I believe the plans are to chuck it into there new "recession/Obama-inspired green machine/CA low emissions super special limited edition" 300 series cars.

The dealer just needs to check off option code WTF on the build sheet.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  19. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

why do the words "1300 cubic inches" make a smile just Appear on my face like that?

20. As I understand it, you prime the cylinders through the priming cups (top of head), then hand crank it through a turn or so, just turning it, NOT trying to start it (ignition off). Then, turn the ignition 'On', and rapidly flick the advance from full to retard, which should cause one cylinder to fire (works better on sixes :) ). There is no electric starter, and no one with arms big enough to crank it to firing.

Similarly, if the engine is still warm, there is a good chance that just flicking the advance will get it to fire from standstill.

Cosmo

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you prime it, to do the ignition trick, you pull it up on compression. I used to do it on my model T, it can be done regularly on my fathers curve dash olds.

22. miller91

miller91

Cranking a Model T worst case scenario...broken arm/fingers

Cranking a Fiat Mephistopeles worst case scenario...?

23. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

I thought about that too... :eek:

24. S.F.

S.F.

They didnt mention the trailer it hauled behind it carrying the drivers balls.

25. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Ya, no girly race cars here.

26. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it really isn't as bad as you think. There are no headlight to crush in with your face, just soft and cushy spring horns.

be smart dont wrap your thumb around the crank.