Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features It All Came Together

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

It All Came Together

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. There isn't enough good to be said for friends/brothers.

The photos?
    You know that feeling that washes over you when you look at something and just know it's "right"?
    Yeah, you captured that.

chryslerfan55, Deuces, Baumi and 6 others like this.
  3. silent rick

silent rick

4. Great story and great photos! This is what it is all about.

Deuces and winduptoy like this.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Dam, that motor looks good!

Deuces, dana barlow and winduptoy like this.
  6. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

A Big Cigar for You;)

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I just got to get it running good again. I think that fancy intake is causing me issues... Plugs look good, timing is fine, and carbs are jetted the same as before... but, if you hammer the throttle, it's spits and sputters endlessly. If you roll on the throttle slowly and deliberately, it hauls ass... I think it might even be faster than it was...

Once I finish up another project I'm working on, I'll dive in and see if I can figure it out.

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know how to get a cat whistle out of the key board...
    It's a looker!!
    How does it run now?

Edit you were faster on the keyboard than me

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Hey @Ryan what is the focal length of the lens? I wouldn't have guessed a lens used for air reconnoissance would work for close ups.

I love this shot, so crisp.
    [​IMG]

10. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Trade your 'hammer' for a 'squeeze the trigger'

11. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Those pictures are amazing good luck with your new toy Boss

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It was made by the National Optical Company and essentially, it was a medium format camera with a drum mount. Typically, and from what I understand, on that drum were a 180mm, 300mm, and a 600mm. These were used on light bombers and fighters for "reconnoissance of convenience."

If something was found on these negatives, they would go back in with a dedicated aircraft carrying the real deal - a Dallmeyer with 9" roll film and a 36" lens.

Riku's lens is a 180mm NOC. My tripod was setup about 25' from the coupe when I took most of these shots. As you can imagine, these are some very long exposures. The shot with my arm ghosted in had an exposure of over a minute on some pretty fast film.

I get the focal lengths... What boggles my mind is how slow these lenses are and it's not like they were shooting from a stable platform. Suddenly, all of those really grainy and blurry wwii gun films start to make sense!

13. Those pictures are fucking art. So is the flatly for that matter. So rad.

14. @Ryan is there any coolant running through that intake? Maybe it's not warm enough. Also, winter blend fuels have been giving me issues on a high compression OT engine.

I don't know about Strombergs but maybe it needs bigger squirters

If the new intake is less restrictive than the old, it might need more fuel to compensate... just some random thoughts.

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

For those curious, this is a typical 36" general purpose reconnaissance lens:

upload_2023-2-22_8-49-22.png

upload_2023-2-22_8-49-39.png

Okie Pete, KKrod, 2Blue2 and 13 others like this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No... It's blocked off and it was 50-degrees out for my test drive. Keith said it was doing it all the way to my shop from his which is about 35 miles or so... Plenty of time for things to warm up. Regardless, I don't really dig the look of water lines going to the intake...

I'm right in the middle of figuring another car out, but as soon as I'm done I'll get on it. It might be that these Canadian heads added compression and she just needs bigger jets in the carbs.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Might need more accelerator pump shot with the larger intake manifold volume... are the pump rods on the summer or winter ball on the throttle arm? when I put a crossram (huge manifold volume) on my drag boat I had to put 50cc pumps on the holleys. It acted just as yours does prior to that... 1 minute fix if that is all it is....

bitchin photos man.... that is pure art, How much are ya gonna miss Keith when you move to Hawaii????

chryslerfan55, rod1, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

They are on summer right now... I should give winter a shot - that gives more fuel initially, right?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I believe that is true. If nothing else it costs nothing and only takes 1 minute to try it

dana barlow and JalopyJimbo like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'll give it a go after work for shits and giggles. To be honest, I have never messed with that setting in all my years of farting around with these carbs.

21. Thanks for the explanation on the lens. You are indeed a lucky man!

22. Make those into posters and I'd be owning a couple!

Outback and Deuces like this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    You have some pretty outstanding friends and associates. Kudos !!! Those Tri-X photos bring back a lot of memories in the dark room, on location with my black shadow film changing bag, and in the dark room rolling them onto the stainless steel reels that fit in a variety of stainless steel processing cans. That was the fun part of being a photographer and someone who loves to piddle around in a dark room.

People always thought I was always crazy with both hands sticking inside of a black bag hanging on both arms. My hands were usually finding the opening button and taking out the used film. Then loading a new cannister of 35mm film from Plus-X for interior shots and sunny days or the Tri-X for darkened garage spaces without a flash. The grains are always there and could be taken out or adjusted in the dark room processing on prints.

You are fortunate to have those friends in good places.

Jnaki

I still have my old Asahi Pentax 35mm film camera plus a gaggle of lenses. But, they are nice and clean inside of a drawer and the last time out was to show my granddaughter the old trusty camera. I gave her a brand new Canon AE-2 film camera, lenses and accessories, as well as a new backpack for travel and storage. I bought them prior to the digital age and they sat unused until I gave them away. She is doing some film photography, film editing and could possibly be accepted to several colleges for the fall semester 2023.

Also, nice black and white photos.
    [​IMG]
    My favorite... crystal clear and highly detailed.

Outback, 2Blue2, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wow those are amazing. That would be enough for a guy to think about a new printed journal…

Outback, Deuces and J.Ukrop like this.
  25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man...you know how I feel about Flatheads. And this one? Sheesh. That's pretty.

dana barlow likes this.
  26. NoSurf

NoSurf

Sweet.

Let's race.

Tim likes this.
  27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Couldn't help myself and took it to lunch. I warmed it up with the accelerator pump rods still set on summer. While doing so, I noticed condensation on the intake and it was cold to the touch. So, I shut her down and set the pump rods to winter. It definitely helped with the spitting and sputtering, but it didn't go away completely. I'd guess a 50% improvement. I also noticed there was no more condensation on the intake and it warmish to the touch.

Tardel thinks this intake is a bad match to my cam... And I know he's probably right, but I think it's fun to test and try to make shit like this work.

2Blue2, Jalopy Joker, rod1 and 5 others like this.
  28. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

all i can muster is, WOW!!!

29. lilCowboy

lilCowboy

beautiful pictures and subject matter