Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Survivor Sighting!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Nov 4, 2022.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Survivor Sighting!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s one beautiful chunk of hot rod Vette history! Thanks for posting it.

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. That is one cool vette and I can only imagine how it must have stood out in a sea of nice but very non-traditional cars. Thanks for sharing! I hope to actually own one of these some day...

mad mikey and Jigger like this.
  4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

WOW Very Cool Thanks!:D

5. Johnny99

Johnny99

Neato! Looks to be the old warhorse that didn't get picked apart, pushed outside, and forgotten when its glory days were over. I've posted this one before on different threads. Lincoln's Auto Wrecking a few miles North of Seattle on old Highway 99. Long gone. Car just to the right of the 57 four door, 3-point roll bar and a push bar. Thanks for sharing.

vtlinc.png

6. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would love to see more vintage Vettes looking like this. I've seen enough stock ones with www's and hubcaps. Thanks

scotty t likes this.
  7. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

Cool old Vette.Thanks for posting and sharing!

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I’m
    Gonna have to go snooping for more photos of that roll bar. Lots going on there.

9. Two friends here locally just put a couple on the street that you would dig.

mad mikey, Bdamfino and Jack Rice like this.
  10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Man, that's cool.

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

11. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great pic of the Lincoln yard, @Johnny99. Here's a corresponding pic of the sign for Rich's Custom Upholstery, which is half a mile south of the the Lincoln yard. Rich pieced it together back in the '80s using parts from half a dozen wrecks at Lincoln.

RichsSign.jpg

Surfcityrocker and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" Everything old, is new again "
    This particular survivor, is just as cool as it ever was!
    Thanks for posting and sharing.

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

DABF92BC-83C5-4D92-B67D-660C0113B12E.jpeg Here’s another angle. Talk about spot-on.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Does it go threw the body anywhere? Looks like it bolts together and has such an odd lay out to make it work with out going into any panels

15. elgringo71

elgringo71

@J.Ukrop
    That is a fantastic car that checks all of the boxes. What a time machine and it has a DZ 302 to top it off. Thanks for sharing, it’s definitely top shelf and it would be great if we could help validate the history for the owner.

mad mikey likes this.
  16. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great car! Thanks for the pics and video guys. I really love the green too. I have an OT car that is painted WA4146 Brands Hatch Green and it looks very similar to this color.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  17. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

When I first saw this car, I had visions of the "Vicious 'Vette" drag car from mid sixties!

mad mikey and elgringo71 like this.
  18. elgringo71

elgringo71

19. ratreo

ratreo

I took my Father and one of my Brothers up to Lincoln Auto wrecking and spent a morning walking through the row’s of cars. It was a blast to see so many examples of cars that we had as kids. A 55 Ford wagon with the cowboy embossed seat covers, a 38 Pontiac business coupe, the 65 Ford County Squire wagon with fake wood graining, Grams root beer 50 Ford coupe, the 62T bird that even had the same tan/cream paint color. Walking through yesterday
    Sorry, I went off topic…

To get back on point

A great friend of mine had a 58 Corvette that could lift the front tires coming off the line. Unfortunately most of its existence was spent being worked on. It never ran long enough for me to be able to get to drive the thing. We’d get it going then promptly break something else. The thing was completely bad ass. But…
    He finally gave up and sold it

20. jnaki

jnaki

Survivor Sighting!
    Posted by J.Ukrop on November 4, 2022 and filed under: Hot Rods

upload_2022-11-27_11-29-55.png

Hello,

As nice as the Corvette is set up and has the “look” in 1969, it seems like the Gas Coupe Class was on the last go around. In 1970, it was no longer listed. So, the last information from 1969 U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis was listed as this:

Drag News 1969 September
    upload_2022-11-27_11-31-59.png
    As the old copy of the Drag News posted, this was the last actual class listings for the Gas Coupe/Sedan Class and the Supercharged Gas Coupe/Sedan Classes. Then next season all were lumped into a different category and then disappeared all together. The fuelers, funny cars and s/s experimental classes were the big money attractions.
    upload_2022-11-27_11-32-45.png

Jnaki

Then Lion’s Dragstrip closed in 1972 and others followed suit in the years to come in So Cal.
    upload_2022-11-27_11-33-30.png
    It would have been fun to find the results after the build, but they remain a mystery. YRMV

mad mikey likes this.
  21. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

vettes were pretty cheap until the late '70s. my best buddy bought a two-year-old vette in '64 for $2,200; he got $1,800 three years later when he traded it on a new buick gran sport.
    i think a lot of guys steered clear of vettes because the insurance was double and chances were good that someone would steal it!

elgringo71 and mad mikey like this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That roll bar looks suspiciously like the left hand handrail in my swimming pool. 2" O.D.? Stainless, yeah.

23. elgringo71

elgringo71

@jnaki

The information points to it being Bill Linder from Rochester, New York. They spell his last name as Lindner and show him winning CC/GS 10.69-131.72

24. elgringo71

elgringo71

@jnaki

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-11-28_3-39-32.png
    Hey J,

Thanks for the info and photo. but, did he put on a supercharger for the CC/GS Class win?

[​IMG]
    upload_2022-11-27_18-24-2.png

Jnaki

Any photos of that Supercharger set up for the Corvette?

Attached Files:

elgringo71 likes this.
  26. jimdillon

jimdillon

I have Bill Lindner in my files but it was listed as a Chevy in the 69 stats, when other winners were listed as Vettes. I had assumed that Lindner's CC/G winner was his pretty famous 1938 Willys called "CC Rider". Bill won class at Indy in 1967 with the Willys and I believe he drove the car until 1970. They say it was one of the most famous CC/G cars in the country so I assumed his 69 win was with the Willys. He may have been from the same area but I am not sure Lasner's car and Lindner's car had much in common. I did not research too many Willys so my assumption could be off.

27. jimdillon

jimdillon

I did a little searching and found out a writeup when it was offered for sale in more recent times. In the text you will see it won Indy in 69 and was restored to how it ran in 1969.

Here is the sale ad description:"

1938 Willys Coupe

Of all the great gassers, "C C Rider" was the dominant "CC gasser" of the late 60's, and thought by many to be the greatest double-C car of all time. The car began its life on a cabbage farm in Pennsylvania. When the farmer's pickup truck broke down, the trunk lid was removed, and the car was used to haul cabbages to market. Bill Lindner, from Webster, NY, bought the car in 1963, built his race car, beginning to race it in 1966. The car had a small block Chevy with Hilborn injection and ran a 4-speed M-22 until 1970.

"C C Rider" is a 1938 Coupe, sitting on a 1937 frame, with a 41-style fiberglass tilt front-end, made by Anderson, and dating from 1965. Lindner's car had a 1958 Olds rear with 5:57 gears. He estimated the supercharged small block Chevy motor, which ran at 9500 rpm, to make about 750 hp. It was bored 30 over 40, and ran a 10:1 compression.

Lindner and "C C Rider" won 5 NHRA championships: Indy Nationals in 67, 68 & 69 (photos 13-15), and the Spring Nationals in 68 & 69. One of the car's greatest victories came in the 1967 Gold Cup at Niagara, a race that featured the strongest competition in super eliminator. (see photo #20 & story) In addition, the car set and held the class speed record longer than any other car. (photo 19 )

Bill sold the car (without engine) to Rod Phelps in 1970, who also enjoyed tremendous success with it, winning many championships, and setting and holding speed records. Phelps retired the car from racing in 1975, and the car passed through several owners, each taking it farther from the top-notch race car that Lindner had built. Finally it had a "pro-street" setup, which is the way the car was when I purchased it 2006. (photo 12)

Almost immediately I started the process of restoring the car to it's 1969 look. All of current engine work was done by Bill Lindner. The block is a new 330 Dart short block, with an estimated 800 HP. The supercharger dates from the late 60s and was made by Ohio George Montgomery and Pete Robinson, and is a VERY RARE item, and Ohio George custom machined the intake especially for this engine. The Hilborn injection is a 4-port, and uses a Kinsler set-up as did the "old" car. The engine is set up so perfectly that it will fire on the first time. In photos 4&5 you can see Bill doing the final check over of the engine....."

Here are a couple of pictures from the sale ad. Picture1.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    Picture4.jpg

elgringo71 and 41 coupe like this.
  28. elgringo71

elgringo71

@jimdillon, @jnaki

It looks like Jim is correct based on the spelling of the last name and the location. Webster is very close to Rochester although the last names are similar the Corvette was from Buffalo, New York and like Junji pointed out it doesn’t appear to be blown in any of the pictures. I guess that the mystery goes on. I would like to see some documentation showing this Corvette winning it’s class at the Nationals in Indy.