Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Hot Rod Racing in the 40s - Now in COLOR!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Hot Rod Racing in the 40s - Now in COLOR!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Gofannon, tractorguy, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Jim was quite the enthusiastic guy...ha,ha. This footage is so fun to watch.
    Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.10.54 AM.png

tractorguy likes this.
  3. AmishMike

AmishMike

Great stuff…. Love narrow tires on dirt. No complaints about airo push or not enough down force. And those tires were probably used for a couple race weekends. Some without roll bars & those old helmets. When we were young & stupid - but sure looks like fun. Many years ago, 3 of us raced uncles old merc around dirt oval behind the barn until second crash took off front suspension - hell, it was fun ( no helmets or seat belts )…. Wonder how modern drivers would do stuck into those cars.

tractorguy likes this.
  4. AmishMike

AmishMike

Cry to think about all those cars used up & trashed

5. KKrod

KKrod

Outstanding. I never knew such nice color enhanced footage could exist. Sure puts perspective on all of those fuzzy black and white photos we see from the 40's which make it seem like the colors were drab and dusky in the old hot rodding days. Robert Genat's book shows Kodachrome slides shot in the late 1940's that show how intensely and varied the colors really were. Too bad this film was not initially shot on Kodachrome but the color enhanced version is very nice and stretches the imagination. Red was always a nice hot rod color. And gold lettering. I always look on auction sites hoping to discover some old treasure trove of Kodachrome slides from the early hot rod days. If I ever find any you will be the first to know. Lol. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  6. KKrod

KKrod

jill813_jill813-R1-E013.jpg jill813_jill813-R1-E009.jpg Here's one of my favorite color photos off the internet. It shows how nice cars of the time were not always show perfect. They were driven and raced. And a very historic roadster to boot.

jills_father.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

...and drivers