Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration LP of the Week: The Big Sounds of the Drags!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 17, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

LP of the Week: The Big Sounds of the Drags!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

big duece, catdad49, Tim and 2 others like this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was either the winter of 1960, or 1961 that I went to the big GSTA (Gopher State Timing Association) show in St. Paul. They had records like this on sale there. I bought one titled "Hot Rods and Dragsters in Hi-Fi". The next morning, I played it on my record player in my upstairs bedroom. When I came downstairs, my mother told me : "There's someone stuck in the snow out there; I can hear them, but I can't see who it is?". I was a little confused at first, but then I realized that the muffled sounds of a dragster could be mistaken for someone spinning their wheels in the snow.

When I told her what was going on I was told never to play the record again when she was around.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    The37Kid, Chucky and tr_rodder like this.
  3. Oilguy

Oilguy

DSC08354.JPG I have a copy hanging on the shop wall.

tr_rodder likes this.

4. catdad49

catdad49

;Have this, but it's about worn through!

5. I got into collecting any “drag racing” type album…have 2 copies of Big Sounds….a couple years ago Mutltey in here was offering up a jump drive with his massive collection downloaded on it..happy to say I bought one..can plug it in at will and dream I’m at the Winternationals watching Dyno Don run down the track..

My Dad was a big “audiophile” in the late 60’s to middle 70’s and I remember him blading these albums to test out his “Hi-Fi”

Hell I nabbed one this weekend at a swap meet just for the cover…had a bunch of 60’s Hot Rod songs we all have heard of over the years..but the cover was so bitchin I couldn’t leave it there…

Big Sounds Of The Drags is the Top Dog

Muttley likes this.
  6. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

The things we liked back then...

7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-5-17_10-37-33.png

Hey CD49,
    Ion Products are one of the oldest transfer companies from back in the cassette tape era. Their products are pretty good and transfers sounds good. We currently have an Ion Cassette Player transfer unit. They are the first ones to get a good product out to the consumers. We found a box of our son's cassette tape recordings from the toddler days... They are not high quality, but good clear sounds recorded 40 years ago. So, I am in the cassette to digital transfer stage.

Our next purchase would be this ION model as an LP album transfer to digital files. It has bluetooth transfers and can project sounds to any bluetooth speaker. The sounds of my original 1959 purchase of an LP recorded at the Detroit Nationals was one of the best transfers for me. I had a friend who had a similar system do the transfers.

That LP gets played quite often and the quality never goes away. Digital files do that for all of us. If you get a chance, the record player can also be used for high quality LP playing like the old days. We have our high end record player for that reason, but our son has 99% of our LP albums. So. it sits and has its own memories.

Jnaki
    If the cost seems high, one album transferred to digital files makes the cost of the record/digital player go down. Each following transfer makes it less and less. Amazon has a ton of them for all different tastes and styles. Your choice for any item. But, contact @Muttley, as he has a business going to do transfers. they are high quality sounds, too.

8. HAHAHAHAHAHA, that's my YouTube channel.

Paul and Muttley like this.
  9. Muttley

Muttley

This one?

Vinyl 72.JPG

catdad49, Chucky and Deuces like this.
  10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that's it! Thanks for confirming that my memory still works.:)

My copy is, unfortunately, long gone.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I have a few of those, great background sounds for working on hot rods.
    Or just hanging out to.

12. Here's the full On the drag strip:

Hot Rods in Action 1960:

And later various announcements:

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    catdad49 likes this.
  13. There's a joke about men in dresses here somewhere but I'm way too tired to come up with it right now.:p

14. Garpo

Garpo

Back in the '80s a friend had a Ford sedan with a BIG sound system, and drag race sound on tape. Wind the windows down and he volume way up, then push the go button while at the traffic lights. Startled reactions from pedestrians and other motorists was fun. Only needed a few seconds, then quietly drive away from the panic.

catdad49 likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought one at a car show in Seattle in the early 60's. It sounded ok on the record player we had at the house but after I told a buddy about it I took it over to his house were his dad had quite a sound system set up for that time period. You put that record on and you could hear the cars fire up over on one side of the room and go out the top end on the other side of the room.

Rolleiflex and catdad49 like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

For those that want visuals with the sound, here is a recorded film of the 1960 version of Lefty Mudersbach vs Howard Cam Twin at Lions in 1960. The sound recording made famous by "you will see" was recorded on another rock album.

But a lot of us are "visual" people and not audio, so inclined. I was going to add it as a sound track to my film from 1960 at Lion's Dragstrip, but could not get over the announcer interrupting the race sounds.

At 21:03 (Big Sounds LP)the description if almost perfect, but not the same. We like the pure sound of the super high performance motor(s) adding to the silent race... not the announcer giving us the $.02 cents worth of drabble.
    SBC twin Mudersbach VS SBC Howard Cam Twin 1960

Jnaki

One day, I will find a good recording to some of my films for the full 1958-60 early drag racing experience.
    I have the original 1959 Detroit Nationals in its LP record album purchased at Wallich's Music City in Lakewood, CA in November 1959. Now, they are digitized and forever clear as 1959. The only way to record the actual sounds back in 1959 was to use a reel to reel recording device.

We had one, but it was not portable and it picked up too much external noise, besides the pure drag racing sounds. Kudos to those LP albums for that and their studios.

So far, the tracks are a pure delight as it is described. It shows who is racing and the sounds are not interrupted by a gabby announcer. If and when we can identify the racers and edit out the announcer without giving up the drag racing sounds, then it will be a good recording of those early historic times. I do not have a $$$ million dollar sound editing office equipment...

Here is the back cover in all of its great description and glory. So far, it is the best recordings from early drag racing all in one... YRMV

upload_2022-5-17_17-19-54.png

catdad49 likes this.
  17. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

My uncle had the album but it was in rough shape so I found a mint copy of it at a flea market and bought it. I also have copies of albums that were given out if you bought a Hi Fi stereo back in the day with sound effects to test the your sound system.

18. Robinson

Robinson

I stole this album from my Dad about 30 years ago and haven't given it back! I digitized it a few years back and made CDs for a few people as a gift. It's dangerous to play in the car while driving.

Paul likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've had a copy since new, another item that should get framed and hung on the wall.

Bob