Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eric Rickman & The Drag Safari

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Eric Rickman & The Drag Safari

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What a great collection of photos! Talk about simpler times...

HEMI32 and Tim like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I love Rickman's work.. so uncomplicated. and each picture tells a story... very clean and a very much Documentary " style.

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Incredible

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Life in simpler times. Would be nice to do a little of that today. Thanks for the pictures.

chryslerfan55 and Spooky like this.
  7. Spooky

Spooky

How cool! Man, Rickman was with HRM for quite a long time!

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

News & interviews with Jack Gobble.
    The strip was in Pocatello. The interview was in Idaho Falls 52 miles up the road - no TV station in Poky ...

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Documentary style. Exactly. He was great at it...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Lostnot

Lostnot

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The safety safari even traveled up to New England in '55 or '56 visiting Sanford, Maine's strip. Our club president Jere Sheehan beamed every time he told the story of when Hot Rod showed up at the drag strip.

12. E. Rick Rickman,,,,,he was cool,,,,,,an excellent photographer too .
    What a talent .

Tommy

13. cabong

cabong

Because my "passion" was a little different than most car guys, I got to meet and know many great names from the past. The people who made the sport what it is today. I wanted to help people remember the contributions they made and the memories they created. I had the chance to meet and talk with Rick on numerous occasions over many years, as I was fortunate enough to have been able to restore two vehicles that he took pictures when originally built and then again when restored.

chryslerfan55, 41 GMC K-18 and 302GMC like this.
  14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in 1975, I went into a second hand/thrift store, just looking at cool junk and stuff.
    I found a cool, not too beat up old school pith helmet, that had the words on the front that said,
    " SAFETY SAFARI " I bought it for $5.00.

I just thought it was cool, at that time I had no idea of what the safety safari was, or what it was related to. I had it for about a year, and then it got lost at some wild party/kegger back then!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. @Ryan - Great stuff!

I've long admired Eric "Rick" Rickman's work as a "Photojournalist" ... his photos epitomized the old adage: "A picture is worth a thousand words"!

I first "met" him in the '70s ... when he & my father (a professional photographer by trade) would have conversations at various motorsports events.

I say "met" because I actually never talked to him until the late '80s (i.e., I was just a "fly on the wall" during his discussions with my dad).

Here's one of my photos of Rick that I shot at the 40th Bonneville Nats in 1988:

Swamp Rat 33 - 40th B'ville Nats - 1988 001 (by Todd Olson).jpg

Ace HRM photog Eric Rickman passes some words of wisdom onto @Rich Venza (black Isky hat) while Garlits
    waits patiently in the drivers seat. Rod Kempkis holds the canopy open and listens in on the conversation.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  16. brando1956

brando1956

E. Rick Mann was to hot rod photography as Ansel Adams was to landscape photography. I've often thought he had a great life. Think of getting paid to go to all kinds of major race events and shoot photos of some of the most important cars of the time. He used to drive his early Corvette with Olds motor from shop to shop in LA to see what builders were up to. Imagine having the kind of access he had to the big hitters too numerous to name. Most racers and builders welcomed him because he was the guy with the key to the treasure chest. If you were a speed equipment manufacturer, showing up in Hot Rod meant huge exposure. Racers looking for exposure to potential sponsors wanted their cars in the mag. It appears that there were a lot of pretty girls seeking exposure as well, judging from the number of them we see in his photos. Truly a life well lived.

17. badshifter

badshifter

All pretty amazing thanks Ryan.
    But this? I need more of this. The side mounted radiator, the removable body. Any more info?

3627ADAC-54E2-4F85-8348-23851711B9BB.jpeg

18. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

19. One thing absent from every photo.... fat people.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER likes this.
  20. This particular photo from the gallery looks to be from Halls, TN. The Safety Safari made a stop there on the 'round the country trip in '55. Notice the Dyersburg, Tenn. on the door of the truck, town just north of Halls, and the Tennessee shaped tags on the tow car. Good stuff. Halls Erik Rickman.jpg

HEMI32, 302GMC and Desoto291Hemi like this.