Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The FBI's Most Wanted Custom Car Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The FBI's Most Wanted Custom Car Enthusiasts

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I actually wrote this article last year and never published it due to some things I needed to iron out... Those things never got ironed and I let it sit... But figured I would publish it as is anyway.

There was a great quote I read from a G-Man in one of the reports though... and I wanted to share it:

"This crime syndicate was lead by Albert. He was the brains of the operation while Bobby was the braun. You could argue they were both morons by what they did with their money, but Albert really is quite intelligent. And you can tell by which car he chose that he's more capable upstairs. That Chevrolet is something."

He wasn't wrong either... Albert went on to be a pretty accomplished writer while in prison and yeah, I'd take that Porsche over the Aztec every day of the week!

3. gotta wonder where those cars are now? did they get scrapped by the government? or did they get returned to their original owners?

Joe Blow likes this.
  4. Fascinating!

lothiandon1940 and Joe Blow like this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last I heard, the Porsche was sold to someone in Florida? I know a HAMBer owned it for a while.

The Aztec is owned by Barry Mazza and I believe it's for sale right now... Like $200k if I remember correctly?

6. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

The connection to this forum is interesting as hell.

Squablow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These guys were real hoodlums; I'd guess they were interested in laundering some of the loot and maybe a store of value.

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Amazing! These two were the pinnacle of hot rod hoodlums. Not a good thing.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... I think once you get passed steeling hubcaps and get into murdering bank security officers and real heists... you are no longer classified as a hot rod hoodlum... :)

GordonC, chryslerfan55, Tim and 6 others like this.
  10. Jeeezus! What a story! Someone needs to make a movie about their exploits.

hrm2k and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  11. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Great story, Ryan... La Confidential meets Hot Rod Gang!

Murphy32 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a great place to start the rumor, that there is sealed packages of money, still inside the rocker panels of the " AZTEC "

13. I thought I had read it ended up in the LA area? Might be wrong.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

chryslerfan55, Dan Hay, Tim and 6 others like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I could be too... Maybe the guy that was selling was in Florida? I just remember that he listed it here... I'm posting from my phone right now or I'd find it.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Beat me to it..

Sancho likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

In 2020 this video came out that shows the guy who owned it then (and probably still does)

GordonC, chryslerfan55, Tim and 6 others like this.
  18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Barry Mazza has the Aztec listed for sale at $250K. I'd imagine that price is subject to negotiation. It's a custom with a rich history.

chryslerfan55, Sancho and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. The guy's name is Nussbaum not Nassbaum.

"Nussbaum" means "Walnut" in German.

Sorry for being nitpicky.

20. mannymoejax

mannymoejax
    from fla

WOW! This blog made me remember a wild thing that happened to me. I think it was 2001. This is a true story, shortened for space. Years ago, I lived in southern Calif., and made many weekend fishing trips offshore to Catalina island, usually as a family, in our modest cuddy cabin boat. One trip I made solo, as I planned to do some fishing then head back home, the wife and kids were too busy to go. The trip over went well, and later that same morning, I anchored of a rock outcropping, just a mile or 2 north of Avalon, and got out the fishing rod. After about an half hour, and a few fish, I met a guy floating in a dingy nearby, he was "caddying" for his boss, who was spear fishing below us. We made small talk, I offered him a soda, after lots of conversation, he explained his boss's yacht was only a few hundred yards away, and I should stop by for a beer later. He explained his boss was Michael Goodwin. I didn't know who Michael Goodwin was. He seemed surprised I didn't make a connection. Only minutes after he left, Armed officers arrived at my boat, came aboard, looked around, asked me a few simple questions, checked my cooler, my license and catch, and left. That had never happened to me before. So a little later, I headed over to the Yacht, I tied up and went aboard. The people I met were friendly. After introductions, we had a beer. We talked fishing, I told Mike, I was interested in spear fishing, he said if I wanted to stay the night onboard the yacht, we could do some spearfishing the next morning, as he was too tired for another go out that same afternoon. I explained I had to get back home that same day and couldn't stay, but maybe another time. We exchanged cell phone numbers to stay in touch. Fast forward several days. I am watching the news at home, and I see the same fella I just met in Catalina, Arrested for murder of Mickey Thompson! Cell numbers still fresh in my wallet. Now I made the connection. Wow!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  21. Rad story.
    I can't help but wonder about what our old cars have seen in the past.

41 GMC K-18 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That dude writes me on the regular... He is a classic narcissist.

At one point, I decided I wanted to write a long form feature on those letters. The plan was to even go visit him in prison for an interview. The experience seemed like an adventure to be had... And something different/interesting to write about.

The more I got into it though, I realized that doing this article is what the dude wanted. He wanted the story to be about him and not what we lost... Self serving...

So, I scrapped the idea...

His letters are bat fucking crazy.

hillbilly, Tman, GordonC and 14 others like this.
  23. Curt Six

Curt Six

That's a crazy story @Ryan. About 10 years ago I was picking Barry Mazza's brain about some details about the Herb Ogden Buick (because I wanted to copy them on my car). A week later I got an envelope in the mail with a bunch of detail construction shots of that car, plus some photos of the Aztec when he was restoring it. They're all curled up and I don't have a scanner, so excuse the crappy photos of photos, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing them and reading Barry's comments...

Mazza 1.jpeg
    Mazza 1a.jpeg

Mazza 2.jpeg
    Mazza 2a.jpeg

Mazza 3.jpeg
    Mazza 3a.jpeg

Mazza 5.jpeg
    Mazza 5a.jpeg

Mazza 4.jpeg
    Mazza 4a.jpeg

Tman, Pat, Murphy32 and 18 others like this.
  24. Those are awesome. Thanks for posting!

SS327, Sancho, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Holy crap... now that is cool.

26. Crazy!

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After all that drama, not to mention an x wife that threw away all the loose parts from the Aztec, It is amazing that this car still exists. It was nothing short of heroics that Mr Mazza was able to restore this car and this is just my opinion so I don't want any attitude from anyone but this is arguably the best 55 chev in existence....

egads, GordonC, bowie and 7 others like this.
  28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shut up Mark... You take that back right now!

Outback, Dan Hay, WalkerMD and 2 others like this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

there is one in every crowd... LOL

30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

To address the question of where did the ‘stolen Pontiac’ go that was traded to Bill Carr…..after it likely was seized by the Feds, I would suggest either to the insurance company that paid the legal owner for his loss, or, less likely, back to the legal owner from whom it was stolen.

Presumably, Bill Carr and Dean Jeffries lost the Pontiac and cash they were paid, or it’s equivalent, they MAY have had a valid claim on the Chevy and Porsche when recovered. I would think Carr and Jeffries would have been looked at VERY carefully by the Feds for any hint of collusion before any decisions were made.

Very interesting stories and I don’t recall hearing them before. Difficult to be sure with my standard equipment senior citizen recall decline. :(

Ray

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    sewfast and chryslerfan55 like this.