Register now to get rid of these ads!

History To the Phone Booth!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jul 9, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

To the Phone Booth!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. @J.Ukrop -

Pretty sure this was Bill "Dry Hop" Manthey's truck.

Bill was active in the Bay Area Quarter Midget, Midget & Sprint Car community ... and ran a glass shop in Los Gatos ... I somewhat remember seeing those Andy @AndySS Southard Jr. photos in his shop many, many, years ago.

Not sure what became of his "phone booth" ... but I'll ask around.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

4. CONFIRMED! ... Just found this photo:

Bill Manthey's '29 Ford T coupe R&C Aug '63.jpg

... on Mike Manthey's FB album entitled "Dry Hop" (a tribute to his father Bill who passed away in 2009 :()

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021

5. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Reminds me of the Model A Pickup I built when I was a kid. Although, mine was Revell and had a modified banger in it!

revell.jpg

6. AmishMike

AmishMike

So we know who built & know the son. Sure hope can track down the car, history of owners, & current condition

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  7. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool truck, cool blog post! I just started on one of these trucks myself last winter. Of course, any DC comics reader knows a guy named Clark will be drawn to a phone booth.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  8. That
    Truck
    RULES!!!

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Caddy tail lights? Love it!

loudbang likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got one of them!

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  11. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Looks pretty much perfect in my eyes, thanks for sharing.

12. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

13. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Reminds me of Weesner.

[​IMG]

dana barlow, Tim, 38 Hump and 2 others like this.
  14. Rand Man

Rand Man

Check the classifieds for a cab. (Sorry for the selfish plug. I’m having a going out of business sale).

Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Yeah, I love 'em, too.
    IMG_2463.JPG

16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-7-20_4-33-18.png

Hello,

Nice find in one of the cool Model A trucks from a long time ago. It had all of the parts that most of us teenagers wanted in our own hot rod builds at the time. There was a lot of time, money and energy put into that cool blue truck.

One of the nicest trucks in So Cal was an unusual one for the times, Early Times, that is. Having met Larry Wood back in those 20 something days was interesting. It was one of those outdoor car show pancake breakfasts in a So Cal park. The car show was pretty outstanding and it was part of the total hot rod scene in So Cal.
    upload_2021-7-20_4-35-13.png
    We were shooting hot rods and custom motorcycles back then and thought his Model A Truck was different than most that were shown in the local hot rod style magazines. There weren’t too many, if any, hot rod trucks that had a home made cabin in the back for camping necessities.

Plus, the creative use of modern (at the time) running gear and components just made it a real hot rod for daily driving. Or, perhaps used for long distance road trips into the mountains or the along the coastal seashore stopovers. At any way to see it, those real American Racing Equipment 5 spoke mag wheels just puts a topper on the whole build.

Jnaki

Having grown up in So Cal, we all knew about several nice locations for the photo shoots that we set up for the following weeks. (Los Angeles /San Pedro Harbor area) The tall truck had all of the power and running gear to make it a smooth riding/handling truck for daily driving and outdoor mountain road climbing. That is in comparison to my first 1940 Flathead Ford Sedan Delivery that never went to the local mountains, due to lack of power going up those steep roads to the destinations.

With the added homemade wooden camper shell on the back, the truck had its own portable rest spot on any So Cal cruise or overnight. “THE HOUSE THAT WOOD BUILT…”
    upload_2021-7-20_4-35-58.png
    upload_2021-7-20_4-41-14.png

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

...Sometime back then Larry was heard to say he wanted his rod to 'provide a roof overhead!'