Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Newsbreak!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 26, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Newsbreak!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

mgtstumpy, Stogy, warbird1 and 11 others like this.
  2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I've been on a number of forums with that rule and never gave it a second thought!

Stogy, Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

trouble is, all those people that have been on here for years with no posts and only use the classifieds will never see this thread....

4. We're with you through the long haul, Boss. I felt the 10 post thing was a step in the right direction, but I was proven wrong. I do like the fact that you, like the rest of us, learn as we go along and adjust as necessary. Get some sleep. We'll be here tomorrow.:)

hotrodjack33, Stogy, Dino 64 and 12 others like this.

5. ....Excellent point, Mark, and absolutely correct.

Stogy, Dino 64, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't really care if we have people that only use the classifieds. So long as they aren't hurting anyone, I'm fine with that. Not ideal of course, but whatever...

The purpose of the rule was never to discourage new people from using the classifieds. It was to stop scammers. And it ended up doing both, causing me far too much work, and just being a general pain in my ass.

It just wasn't sustainable.

7. Still, in the end, thank you Ryan, and the moderators for all that you do.

Stogy, Hamtown Al, Thor1 and 8 others like this.
  8. I get it. Lot of hassle for all of you. People just need to realize, if it's too good to be true, it's generally a scam. It cut out the new accounts created just to scam someone, but it hindered long time members that don't post. Double edge sword. Gonna miss the entertainment in the questions section ;)

Stogy, Thor1, The37Kid and 7 others like this.
  9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

*nostrebor is blissfully ignorant of the drama, and appreciates those who are willing to "embrace the suck" for his convenience.

Thank you to the mods for putting up with our crap. Also @Ryan, the GarageJournal looks and works fantastic! Your effort has not gone unnoticed by this peon.

Stogy, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  10. williebill

williebill

Thanks, Ryan, and all youse other hoods.

Stogy, Thor1, sdluck and 1 other person like this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:D unless I am badly misinterpreting this change, they won’t need to see THIS thread as the problem no longer exists…..

Ray

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought it was a good rule, but then, I don't have to moderate the forum.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Neither here, nor there... But I've always been of the opinion that one should give to this Forum as much as they take.
    If you've learned something, please also share your knowledge with others. If you are using the Classifieds to buy or sell, please also participate on the main board.
    Kind of similar to the Golden Rule.

hotrodjack33, Stogy, twenty8 and 17 others like this.
  14. BINGO! Those folks that only post in the classifieds are like the douchebags that would show up at a party, find an empty solo cup instead of paying and sit around the keg swilling free beer.

And @Ryan , the new format for the Garage Journal rocks! Can't wait for it to come here.

15. I couldn't agree more. HRP

16. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Yeah, a ton of phony baloney posts on here for quite some time. We're all adults and just have to realize that this is the internet with scammers around every corner. Up to each of us to protect ourselves. I realize we have an older hoodlum base here and the "I don't trust that damn PayPal" abounds (been numerous threads on it) but I'm here to tell you......it can save your ass when a transaction goes south.

loudbang, hotrodjack33, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IMO….not a valid analogy. Their access to the HAMB classifieds costs you nothing but they bring one or both of two things. They either are offering to sell something a HAMB member may be needing and/or they may be looking to buy something a HAMB member is trying to sell. Either way, a ‘win’ for all parties.

As an aside, I do agree their fuller participation might be useful, but we are managing most issues with onboard talent.

Ray

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    hotrodjack33, Stogy, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  18. A lot of us with general skills won’t have a lot to ad sometimes. Don’t want all our contributions to just be fluff. Not all of us can create a car in a couple of weeks, some of us are just grinders, or picture takers who like to follow along. Will try to do better. I don’t care who I buy stuff from, as long as it is a legitimate transaction.

Stogy, Ricco39ford, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I agree with you. That's how I try to go about everything in life... Take a penny, give a penny...

But, not everyone jives with that. And so long as they aren't effecting me negatively, I don't spend time worrying about it either.

This is definitely one of those situations where I am ill equipped to fix a problem. But you guys are stuck with me, so....

hotrodjack33, Stogy, Thor1 and 11 others like this.
  20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I certainly don't envy what you/mods have to do/put up with to keep this site up and running. Before I retired I used to say "no good deed goes unpunished" It seems as if that applies to this situation. I believe the troops have your back. Hang in there.

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  21. raaf

raaf

Thank you Ryan.

Stogy likes this.
  22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well here’s another opportunity to thank you for creating and maintaining this outstanding site. Probably preaching to the choir here, but if you really want to thank the Boss, join the Alliance! Less than a dollar a week for this awesome place.

Stogy, Thor1, 51504bat and 3 others like this.
  23. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Thanks Boss for the update

Stogy likes this.
  24. is this the same for Fordbarn and emailing 20 count?

Stogy likes this.
  25. Personally, I’m going to miss the gripe threads on this subject. That leaves us with “young folks suck”, “crap cost too much or ain’t selling” gripe threads.
    I thought the “10 post rule” gripe threads brought a fresh new topic for that genre.
    I’m more shocked to learn the admins look at emails here. I guess I just figured the admins did like most professionals and ignore unfamiliar emails.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    hotrodjack33, warbird1, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  26. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No matter what.... I like it here...

brushwolf, Stogy, Chicster and 2 others like this.
  27. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Word. Way better than any magazine subscriptions. If I don't learn something here daily I'm not reading!

Sandgroper and dirty old man like this.
  28. To the mods and Ryan ,
    The new changes to the Hamb won’t make it difficult to post pics will it?
    The reason I can’t hardly stand the Ford Barn is it’s a real pain to post any pic over there.
    It’s easy here,,,,really easy,,,,but there ,,,,like pulling teeth !

Tommy

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... posting pics in XF 2 is even better than here... You can just paste em in your post if ya want... or drag and drop or... It's super easy.

Stogy, Thor1, Sandgroper and 4 others like this.
  30. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have to say, I guilted myself into being an Alliance member. Posted/sold a lot in the classifieds, so only felt right to chip in. If it weren't for this site, i'd still have most of my junk! I do contribute occasionally on the board as well.

Stogy, Thor1, Sandgroper and 4 others like this.