Register now to get rid of these ads!

Road Trip on Route 66 by Tin Can...

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Road Trip on Route 66 by Tin Can...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

jnaki, tractorguy, Truck64 and 5 others like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome! I’ll be cheering you on from KC be sure to take lots of photos and keep us posted :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Please excuse the wheels, but here's my Pontiac in about '98-'99 at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook AZ.
    I was towing a U-haul trailer back home to the West coast after a living in OKC for a little over a year.
    I drove as much of the original 66 as I could. I often ended up backtracking miles to get back on 40 when the 66 segment I was on abruptly came to an end. Saw some really cool places. A good bit of what I saw no longer exists.
    [​IMG]

4. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

We make the midwest section often in our '49 Spartan. Don't feel bad about not being 100% vintage, I ditched the idea of long hauls with an old wagon after a deer jumped out in front of us at 60 (braking sway technology beats style points). Pick up the Jack D. Rittenhouse 66 Guide Book. Written after the war and keeps mile indicators to let you know what cool town the current rock foundation used to be. Enjoy! Unknown-5.jpeg

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my brother has two of those Spartan Manors at his property. he does not know it, but I am going to live in one when I retire

6. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Several years ago my wife and I took off in our 302 powered '33 3w coupe from Maine to do Route 66. And did we! Seven weeks and 9600 miles later we returned home with no incidents. The key we found was the "Here It Is" maps and a Hi-Liter. The maps will keep you on Rt 66 and the Hi-Liter will keep track of where you are on the page. Best trip ever and we have done many in that coupe. So far 103000 miles worth and "We ain't done yet".
    Take your time. Talk with everyone you meet. The locals will tell you more than any guide book . Relax and enjoy. Above all "Be safe".
    It's always a good idea to have AAA and carry a can of "Fix-A-Flat. You never know.

7. sololobo

sololobo

great adventure, I have covered most of it with great pleasure

8. Awesome trip - its definitely a bucket list trip for me.

9. fortynut

fortynut

I grew up in Northern Mississippi. Every summer my father who was involved in the whiskey business would take a few weeks off. He had two sisters who moved to a little town just west of San Bernadino, California. More often than not that was our destination, sometimes with a side trip thrown in when the occasion permitted. We always hit Route 66 and followed it to where it became Foothill Boulevard. Of course, over the years, changes occurred that I noticed, especially the further west we went. And, as anyone who has grown up in a small town with a main street will tell you, some of those were not for the good. However, as I grew older, and started out on my own in my own vehicles following the sun, I came to appreciate the main streets of Albuquerque as 66 went right down it, and Gallup where the sad story of a proud race could be read only by looking at the pawn shops and bars, and the human wreckage that came with that vicious cycle. In Flagstaff, too, 66 ran parallel to the train tracks that were seen, otherwise, all along the trip through Oklahoma --- that was OK, New Mexico --- the Land of Enchantment, and Arizona --- the Grand Canyon state, a place that I came to visit as often as possible, both on the North and South Rim, and all the way to bottom further west than the Park at Havasupai, as unique a place as any I have ever been - my daughter of four years and I walked to the bottom and stayed with them for a week, much later on, a deal I made as a screen writer, and rode out on a single horse after giving our camping gear away to reduce weight. And, yeah, I'm way off course. Probably because I am loathe to say that nothing stays the same. Change being the only constant, when Eisenhower's dream of an Autobahn all over America, and the one mile of straight highway for jets to land in case of a national emergency, all that was quaint and colorful, all that made traveling along that beautiful ribbon changed. I have crisscrossed that same area more times that I can remember and none of the trips equal those of my childhood. I am hopeful, however, that those looking for nostalgia and a chance to see scenery that amazes by its spacious skies, clouds painted by sunlight and darkened by rain, noised by thunder and the long, elegant bolts of lightning that seen from a distance equal to the tenderness of a good sermon in the comforting embrace of the familiar surroundings of a church, because across that stretch across America is and always will be God's own cathedral.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  10. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

DD8E63C6-B97C-4C46-9D9D-7D8E2AD6FC3E.jpeg Port of Kaua’i. Here’s our ‘53 Airstream arriving from the Big Island three years ago.

11. hudson48

hudson48

Did a short R66 back in 95 from Amarillo across to Springfield MO. That just wetted the appetite and back in 2009 starting in Chicago and going practically all the way on old R66 as much as possible.
    Sometimes you are forced back onto the Interstate. Had some fun times on that trip. Things that are now gone like seeing Harley and wife in Erick OK who put on a special show for tourists. His wife passed away a few years ago but I think he still runs the Curiosity Shop full of memoribilia. Italy Photos Paul 301 (Large).jpg https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attr...-Sandhill_Curiousity_Shop-Erick_Oklahoma.html

12. gagray

gagray
    from Tulsa

In Tulsa, be sure and stop in to see Mary Beth at Buck Atom's on 11th Street for all things 66! Here's a photo of my '55 StarChief at the lights on for her neon...https://buckatomson66.com
    neon. upload_2020-9-26_9-58-46.png

13. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Livin the Dream..

Fueler38 likes this.
  14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Have fun! We did 66 in our coupe in 2018 with another couple and never had a dull moment.
    We were fortunate not to have any time constriction and could live in the moment. The cars were the stars and we met others from all over the world.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Jeeze guys, makes me want to hop in and drive right now. Thanks a lot

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

With the advent of new ways to enjoy the outdoors, trailer towing has sprung up as a means to an end. The classic Airstream trailers were always sighted by my brother and me when we were on our long road trips with our mom and dad. It was a contest to see who could spot the most… of course, brotherly challenges reigned supreme.

But, in these days of the pandemic and the need to get to do something different, there have now been a large amount of Airstream trailers already at some cool forested areas, beaches and out in the So Cal deserts. The choice is yours, if you like “trailer living.”

We usually ended up on some form of Route 66 on our trips within California. Our dad was a California local and his taste for travel was good. But, it was in California and into Baja, Mexico. So, our photos and memories are from those road trips on the Westcoast.

At the time, we did not know it, but this popular place was on the Western end of Route 66. Yes, it is in a portion of crowded Los Angeles, but the rest of the way to the end in Santa Monica makes up for the congestion in the downtown areas.

Jnaki

upload_2022-12-19_3-59-32.png
    This era specific photo looks to be in the late 60s-early 70s. My wife and I went here plenty of times from the late 60’s. The record shops had prices that were worth the long drive up into West L.A. as we frequented the whole area from movie theaters, to rock concerts, there were also the times of having a nice lunch/dinner in the area, too. There were dozens of great places to dine.

One of the coolest places was this odd shaped place called the “Tail of The Pup.” Our dad knew my brother and I loved hot dogs. So, this place was always a fun place to eat, when we went to Los Angeles for family visits to friend’s houses or just for shopping in the nice stores as seen in the digitized, You Tube videos.

But, it was the time that my wife and I were part of the scene and we had our share of hot dogs. Just like a visit to Los Angeles at any time is always a stop over at Phillipe’s Restaurant near the Union Station. When it was around, the Tail of The Pup was our cool destination. Add a little chili and we were both in heaven. From the looks of the pants the woman in the photo is wearing, it was from late 60s to mid 70s styling.

Over the years, the place closed and moved. Then went into storage. Now, the good news is…

The iconic place is back as the historic Tail O' The Pup Hot Dog Stand! The famous hot dog stand was last open back in 2005.

The new location at 8512 Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood is a 2,700 square foot lot and in addition to the hot dog stand has a beer garden. Route 66 fanatics may realize that this stretch of Santa Monica Boulevard is along the historic route!
    upload_2022-12-19_4-0-28.png
    2022 at a new location along a Route 66 designated stretch of Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood.

upload_2022-12-19_4-1-13.png
    A short drive West of the Tail O' The Pup Hot Dog Stand is the end of the Route 66 drive.

Right next to the last “on the pier” parking area is the historic End of Route 66 sign. But the short walk to the end of the pier brings you as far West as you can go on the pier, unless one is sailing on the water.
    upload_2022-12-19_4-1-49.png
    Vnak photos …views from the water