Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12 x 1 1/2 Lincoln brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ric, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Does anyone make a 12" x 1 1/2" brake shoe to fit the Lincoln style brakes. I have a set of reproduction Lincoln brakes with Buick drums and am having clearance probs. A 1 1/2 wide shoe would solve the problem. I feel like I have seen these at some point but cannot remember where.

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I have been told the Lincolns shared their brake with an international truck but do not have specifics. I have talked with these folks in the past: http://www.boos-herrel.com/ and they can fix you up with the Lincoln brakes as well as NAPA as you can search their listings by size on line. I could be wrong on all of this because weren't the Lincoln brakes 1 & 3/4 which you already have and that is the root of your problem?

3. I believe Speedway has them

4. AVater mine are 2" wide. I will try your suggestions, as well as Speedway. Thanks guys

5. The shoe part number is 29 and the lining segment is number 153.
    Might search that #29 online and turn up something.
    A brake relining shop might also be able to help.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  6. What kind of clearance problem are you having? Should be no problem with 2" shoes on repop Lincoln plates and Buick drums if you are going about it in one of the normal ways.

7. The shoes are not centered in the drum, they are too far "in", the shoe is out beyond the edge of the drum by about 1/4 inch. I am using the repo Lincoln drums and hubs from Riley Hot Rod parts, I believe they are MT, with Buick drums.

8. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the MT (now Bolling Bros) hubs replicate early Ford hubs and are made for use with repop Ford or Lincoln style drums. The Ford style hubs would probably hold the Buick drums out maybe 3/4" or so from where they should be.

Buick drums are typically used with "outside mount" '48 Ford hubs or Wilson welding hubs and Walden hubs made for use with Buick drums. These space the drum closer to the backing plate.

The attached pictures show the normal relationship between the Buick drum and backing plate. The picture thru the hole shows the overlap of the iron drum liner (lighter colored to the left in the hole) to the shoes.

The back of the Buick drum has to be machined to remove the aluminum outside the iron drum liner to clear the lip on the backing plate.

The picture is of a Lockheed plate; but the dimensions should be the same as the repop Lincoln plates. There are 2" shoes on the pictured plate and fit the Buick drums no problem.
    34-mtd4 (Small).JPG 36-drum overlap (Small).JPG

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I just machined a set of Buick drums to fit ford hubs [inside of hub flange] and Lincoln backing plates..As stated above needed to remove some material for backing plate clearance..But I don't believe you can swap shoe widths as they have to match the wheel cylinder off set and in the OP case the drum has to go in farther as a narrower shoe is still going to rest at the same place on the backing plate..

AVater likes this.
  10. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

Call Moose Motors in Petaluma,Ca . I am sure he can fix you up. 707- 792-9985